Sign in to follow this  
Guest B. Bandy RFC

Wow, quite here...

Guest B. Bandy RFC

Is everyone playing RoF ICE??? :dntknw:

Is everyone playing RoF ICE??? :dntknw:

I hope not :blink:

RoF is a good Flight Simulator, but not a good flight game like FE, OFF, or RB3D. Plus Rof has a DRM that none of the others have. :mega_shok:

Guest B. Bandy RFC

Hey guys,

Hopefully that was taken as tongue-in-cheek as it was meant to be. Though I couldn't help but notice the decline in posts here coinciding with RoF ICE release.

I have to be honest, after a little research I picked RoF up and gave it a try. Runs well on my 4 year old quad-core system, so some negative hype you've heard isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Bottom line, I have 3 very different WWI flight sims now, and each has strengths and weaknesses and I love them all. But FE will always have a special place in my heart.

With a mighty choice of 3 WW1 flight sims, honestly don't see the point in holding out from getting it. RoF brings strengths that the others lack, and they in turn have strengths RoF lacks. Its definitely has got a whole lot better of late, despite some current FM issues, and the whole Noop family are an utter bad joke. If your still sitting on the fence I would wait until patch 1.015 due in october, as that is going to be bringing two seaters and a full dynamic campaign. Just don't buy any noops.

The online requirement is only needed if you want the current career mode, or multiplayer. You can still play the campaigns, QMB and player missions when offline. Once you feel how amazing the rudder authority is in this game, you will start to question most other flight sims tbh. Its incredible, and a QMB skirmish with about 20 planes in the air is pretty wild.

Really its biggest weakness that is holding it back in 1.014 is the AI - I will be honest here - its awful. That however is one of the big developments planned for 1.015 so after that come the FM issues and then the game, in my opinion will become pretty much the sim of choice. Not I will give up on FE, but it will take second place., with OFFP3 falling into third.At least for me, and I feel many may follow suit.

I bought ROF-ICE yesterday. Pretty good so far but the FM bleeds speed too fast on some allied and german aircraft. The DR1 is dream to fly though. To me the DM is not canned but I'm still experimenting on it. Its not too disabled friendly though. I got the auto stuff on and some aircraft are b!tch to fly. At first I thought I was ham fisting it w/o noticing it. Although some real WW1 were difficult persay but not this difficult imho. I'll wait until October to get add on planes. Although, is there mods for this sim?

For the record, I'm disabled with one usable arm so turning off the auto stuff isn't a option unfortunately.

Falcon

PS. I find the padlock is tad too difficult to fly with also. Reminds me of the 1980's padlock system. IMHO FE is better for dogfighting. Although I hadn't tried peter's fm's yet. Tried using them before and it deleted almost all of the stock aircraft in the select aircraft menu. I fubared it somehow and uninstalled and reinstalled FE2.

Peter01's FMs are a must if you ask me. The AI is incredible in Hard mode. I even found some AI aircraft, like a SPAD7 I was in the ring with, would actually spiral down to get away only to level off before becoming a pancake. It was incredible to watch. I thought I got him too. Joke was on me I guess. Good stuff Peter01

Peter01's FMs are a must if you ask me. The AI is incredible in Hard mode. I even found some AI aircraft, like a SPAD7 I was in the ring with, would actually spiral down to get away only to level off before becoming a pancake. It was incredible to watch. I thought I got him too. Joke was on me I guess. Good stuff Peter01

Yeah.. I'll try again of installing them. If I have problems again I'll holler to you guys this time.

Falcon

Well, let's face it a lot of the 3rd party plane work was done years ago for FE1, the release of FE2 consisted mainly of porting those over. I can't recall a single new-build airplane or terrain made for FE2. Besides Peter's FM/AI mod, there's not much tricky about modding FE2 to a great spot.

I think people are spending more time flying it than writing about it. :grin:

Guest B. Bandy RFC

I bought ROF-ICE yesterday. ... the FM bleeds speed too fast on some allied and german aircraft. ...some aircraft are b!tch to fly. At first I thought I was ham fisting it w/o noticing it. Although some real WW1 were difficult persay but not this difficult imho. ... are there mods for this sim?

... I find the padlock is tad too difficult to fly with also.

Not new to the "which WWI sim is the greatest" debate, but I'm finding there are definitely A LOT of strong opinions out there. So I decided when RoF ICE came out I'd decide for myself.

Falcon, if you are used to the FE flight models then yes, RoF will seem like the AC bleed too much speed. But when you think about the poor WWI aerodynamics with the blunt noses and all those bloody wires and struts, they just HAD to bleed airspeed like crazy. FE is more similar to its jet sim siblings, it shares the same physics/sim engine after all.

Yes, some of the RoF aircraft ARE a b!tch to fly and I certaintly felt hamfisted as well! But I think these more difficult RoF FMs are more realistic than the easier ones. In fact many of the RoF people are calling the Alb's and Fokkers uber planes when history says they weren't (i.e. EIII vs N11 and DH2, DIII and DVa vs. SE5...). The DIII in particular is still vicious in the hands of the AI against even the late entente offerings. That just isn't right.

Despite growing pains (and I remember FE in the first year or two) IMHO RoF is worth a look, and as I mentioned, don't believe all the negative hype. The more time I spend with RoF, the more I realize I cannot jump around between planes like I did in other sims. You truly have to acquaint yourself with your ride before you become proficient. Each has unique quirks much more so than other sims.

FE supports unlimited modding, the others not so much... I admit, there is no greater feeling than flying, or flying over, something you created.

Not new to the "which WWI sim is the greatest" debate, but I'm finding there are definitely A LOT of strong opinions out there. So I decided when RoF ICE came out I'd decide for myself.

Falcon, if you are used to the FE flight models then yes, RoF will seem like the AC bleed too much speed. But when you think about the poor WWI aerodynamics with the blunt noses and all those bloody wires and struts, they just HAD to bleed airspeed like crazy. FE is more similar to its jet sim siblings, it shares the same physics/sim engine after all.

Yes, some of the RoF aircraft ARE a b!tch to fly and I certaintly felt hamfisted as well! But I think these more difficult RoF FMs are more realistic than the easier ones. In fact many of the RoF people are calling the Alb's and Fokkers uber planes when history says they weren't (i.e. EIII vs N11 and DH2, DIII and DVa vs. SE5...). The DIII in particular is still vicious in the hands of the AI against even the late entente offerings. That just isn't right.

Despite growing pains (and I remember FE in the first year or two) IMHO RoF is worth a look, and as I mentioned, don't believe all the negative hype. The more time I spend with RoF, the more I realize I cannot jump around between planes like I did in other sims. You truly have to acquaint yourself with your ride before you become proficient. Each has unique quirks much more so than other sims.

FE supports unlimited modding, the others not so much... I admit, there is no greater feeling than flying, or flying over, something you created.

Add the fact FE doesn't have torque persay like ROF does but yes the planes were poor in aerodynamics. And I found a way to do aerobatics more effectively especially in the SE5A. Like in a loop, ease the pressure of the control stick at the top of the loop and let the nose drop naturally. Although I'm finding myself enjoying ROF's DR1 more. I certainly like the touch of realism ROF has like charging the mgs for a example... I LOVE THAT! But I heard that there's a patch for FM fixes. Who knows that'll bring. But anyway, after I mastered the DR1, I'm gonna try my hand on my fav ww1 fighter, the D7.

Falcon

Edited by FalconC45