Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

Full effects

:clapping: I have been trying to fly with everything turned on for example, Realistic Aircraft, Wind, Sun full DID ect. So far my biggest enemy is the ground, trees, spinning, stalls, other a/c, enemy and friends. The favorite a/c is the Fokker D-7, Sopwith Pup, Pfalz, and Albatross D-3.

These at least let me take off and land and sometimes fly around a bit. I am sure others fly this way too if so whats your favorite A/c ?

:baby:

:clapping: I have been trying to fly with everything turned on for example, Realistic Aircraft, Wind, Sun full DID ect. So far my biggest enemy is the ground, trees, spinning, stalls, other a/c, enemy and friends. The favorite a/c is the Fokker D-7, Sopwith Pup, Pfalz, and Albatross D-3.

These at least let me take off and land and sometimes fly around a bit. I am sure others fly this way too if so whats your favorite A/c ?

:baby:

I fly DiD settings - full effects, as you call them - in all of my videos EXCEPT I usually (not always) have unlimited fuel and ammo turned on during Campaign missions. Nothing worse than getting into an awesome dogfight I'm trying to film and then running out of gas or guns. But I try not to spray the sky, so I doubt I'm burning through 500 / 1000 rounds anyways.

I would definately try an SE5a Viper if I were you. It's a very stable gun platform. Doesn't spin easily at all. It was my favorite for a long time.

My favorite A/C now is hands down the Sopwith Triplane. Manueverable, great view and very forgiving. But the DVII, SE5a, N17, DII and Sopwith Pup are all fairly well balanced planes as well. Anytime I wish to feel completely incompetent, I try a Sopwith Camel. Quirky beast. RAF_Louvert apparently has mastered those things, but so far for me, no real luck. He's a better pilot that I am.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

For me its a two seater as I am still stuck playing full DiD rules in 1916 and thats a Sopwith Strutter... I like it as back then I at least have a chance and I suppose I am an Attack pilot at heart...

If you like two-seaters (and even if you don't, this plane might still surprise you!), give the DFW a try. I've been flying it a lot in our DiD campaign, and have grown to like it like no other plane in OFF. The DFW has excellent characteristics all around, and bombing missions with it are really enjoyable, thanks to its bombsight. An easy plane to fly, and can avoid enemy fighters by outclimbing them.

Probably the easiest two-seater to fly is the BE2, but in campaign mode it's really useful only in 1915-1916. After that its terribly slow speed and low ceiling make it a flying death trap. But it has great visibility from the cockpit, and I really like to cruise around the countryside in my early war careers with the Quirk. Things tend to become a bit more dangerous by the Bloody April... :cool:

I'm also a fan of the Quirk, although I wish that the devs would bin the present version and give us proper BE2's with the gun for the observer, and the BE12 for those brave enough to use it as a scout! Having said that, it's a lovely plane to fly, if you have all the time in the world, and my present campaign (as written up - and not too well - in the Reports from the Front folder) is a fairly frank account of what you can do with it. I will say again, to anyone who'll listen, it's a match for the EIII. Perhaps it shouldn't be, but that's not the point. I'm flying with TAC on, but with the excellent mod - found elsewhere on CA - where all aircraft are white spots, and the labels only become increasingly less opaque as you get closer, which, I reckon, is a pretty good compromise on the issue of visibility and in-game limitations. I prefer death on die roll, but my main method of remaining alive is by cautious flying.

Just realised I do have another aid on in the BE: the compass. Where the devil is it on the OFF BE2c? I can't believe that the real BE didn't have a compass, and I find it a bit mystifying. I've looked on t'interweb for cockpit shots of the BE, but that hasn't helped.

Anyway.

I suppose that I'm actually more a fan of the Pup than anything else, but in the last year or so - in other words, the time of my ownership of OFF - I started on Pups and got shredded by AI opposition and erroneously ascribed it to the Pup not being good enough, whilst simultaneously ignoring the fact that I was losing pilot after pilot after pilot. You think the penny would have dropped sooner, wouldn't you?

I guess that my current longevity for all of my pilots - I have about six on the go, to varying degrees - reflects the fact that I've finally learned how to fly and fight in these archaic devices, so a return to Pups is on the cards after Vic finally goes West.

I'm a long, long way from having tried all the aircraft on offer in the game, although I suppose if some of my existing stable of pilots survive long enough, I might just get the chance to fly a few more. But it's bloody time intensive.

Cheers,

Si

One small problem with the BE2 in OFF is that currently only one version is used to represent all of them (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!), but in reality there were quite a few variants in service throughout the war. I hope in P4 or some other phase/expansion pack we'll get all of them actually modelled in-game. The differences shouldn't be very great - the improvements between the variants weren't really that significant - but it should make the Eindecker's job a bit easier when it encounters one of those truly early BE2's.