Sign in to follow this  
Wilches

Hebrew speech/radio...

Folks, it's wierd :dntknw: ... Even after the WOI/WOI2 release we still have no Hebrew speech pack. Saddly it's beyond my knowledge, so I hope some Jewish bros' take this on. :good:

I think there's something in the order of 1,500-2,000 that would have to be made (My memory may be a bit off). While it would add immersion to the sim, it could be a very time consuming task. I've often though about changing the speech for the regular sim, but I didn't feel like losing the rest of my mindgrin.gif.

I bet you're right, DWCace!! Love your Avatar. Praying for that. :good:

Check out my WW2 RAF speechpack (in SFP1 d/l section) which contains a spreadsheet which contains a list of all of the stock SF speech files and the text of what each one contains. Yes, it did take a long time, but at least now no-one has to compile that information again.

That is your "script" for compiling a new Hebrew speech pack (or Finnish, or Klingon for that matter). All you need is some Hebrew speakers with a mic attachment on their PCs and a desire to do some voice acting.

Bon chance, mon brave!

Baltika

But it has to be GOOD voice acting with good post production. Otherwise, it's just as bad IMHO.

Believe me, I've tried recording on my HUD tapes and it still sounds like crap...even using a real helmet and mask, in a real aircraft, while actually flying.

FC

Call me crazy but having Hebrew speech spoils the realism.

Why? Because a real Israeli would be able to understand it without reading subtitles.

I on the other hand will have to read the subtitles.

So English is fine for me. But maybe a heavily accented English might just add some immersion.

Do Isrealis speak heavily accented English? Or perfect "redneck" English? Lol!

Edited by jomni

WOULD they talk their language over the radio anyhow? I think our German fighter pilots do all their comm in English... And I guess that's pretty much common procedure in air traffic.

Humm... I didn't think of that. Perhaps a bad accent should be ok. Some local expressions and slangs should be fine too. :this:

Well I watched "Desert Aces" and Epstein and the others did have quite a specific english accent(not bad, just specific), also I know a couple of Israellis and you can hear that same accent when they speak english too...

Got it. I remember an History Channel's interview with Giora Epstein and his accent was, to be honest, a kind of weird. Anyway, was "English" at all! :lol:

I'd be curious given the origins of the IDF's air force what the operational language of the IDF was, say in '67, or '73, or today for that matter...Is it English? It was at the outset, at least according to this...

http://www.sabranet.com/machal/english.html

Most of the Western and English-speaking Volunteers - or "Anglo Saxim" as we were termed by the Israelis - had fought in World War II and were eager to put their combat expertise into action to help defend the Jewish State. These Volunteers formed the core of the new Air Force providing battle-hardened combat pilots for the first Fighter and Bomber Wings. And it was North American pilots, air and ground crews that created the Air Transport Command that ferried the Messerschmitts and weapons from an air base near Prague to Tel Nof Air Base in Israel. And although it irritated some of the IAF top brass at the time, the operational language of the Israel Air Force throughout the war was, by necessity, English!

Edited by Charlie 14

I'd prefer accented english. Perhaps do both Israeli and this to please the different flyhers here at combatace. :clapping:

Considering that, wouldn't it be more worthwile to drop the ambitions for WOI specific speech, and better go for an overhaul of the speech in generic/english. With minimal local accents.

One doesn't have to do it all at once, there is wingman 1 then the other flight members, then red crown and such.

There is a download for an english speech pack at combatace which replaces some of the wingman speech. It was promising, but the samples are 'clipped', like the recording volume was to high for the sound format used.