Sign in to follow this  
Shrapnel

What happened to the crash effects?

When I first got OFF/HitR there were some great special effects when planes crashed, maybe not realistic but very cool to watch. At some point it seems that the effects were change to a less spectacular crash effect.

In this case I think I prefer the Hollywood effects over realism so is there anyway to revert back to it?

Thanks.

I believe there was a lot of feedback from the players to change it to the more realistic, less spectacular crashes. For awhile there it looked like every plane that crashed was carrying a small nuclear device. In truth, they had about 20 gallons of aviation fuel and that's about it. However it's possible some of the modders could make something if they were so inclined. The big challenge there will be the fact that most of the mod makers are people who strive to make the sim even more realistic. Not sure how much luck you'll have but it never hurts to ask.

Hellshade

Ah, I was hoping they would make it an option for those of us that don't mind the extra effects.

I just watched Richthofen vrs Brown on a rented DVD and I had to laugh.. towards the end the dog fights had planes blowing up as if they had been hit with explosive war heads. Otherwise, fun movie, lots of dog fights with real planes, though not very accurate historically.

A really fun WWI game is Wings of War. You can fly a number of different planes and some of us made mods for it that improved the looks of the terrain and we added new skins. The graphics and lighting in it are prettyh amazing, on a par with ROF. Anyway, in the default game you can fire rockets at other planes and blow off their wings, etc. When you don't want to get into all the frustrating sim restrictions that OFF and ROF have, this is a lot of fun to fly in. I still have it installed and I still enjoy flying when I just want to unwind and have a lot of fun immediately.

Edited by rabu

It would be nice to see something in between.

It's a bit of a dull affair now!...some flames would be nice

Aye hard to get it right for everyone's personal preferences, so we try to do what we think is correct and best we can. Hard to have all sorts of multiple choices for absolutely everything as that then requires us to triple the work on models, effects, editing etc and we are too small a team. We already have 12 sims in one, due to the moving front so masses of work already. The guys making mods give you the choices too. We are a small team but one day maybe we can cover all the bases.

Most craft hit the ground and simply crumpled. There's real footage from recent crashes that show that. Almost like a paper bag with sticks hitting the ground.

We do have alternative crashes in there with fire, fly campaign more and you should see.

Aye hard to get it right for everyone's personal preferences, so we try to do what we think is correct and best we can. Hard to have all sorts of multiple choices for absolutely everything as that then requires us to triple the work on models, effects, editing etc and we are too small a team. We already have 12 sims in one, due to the moving front so masses of work already. The guys making mods give you the choices too. We are a small team but one day maybe we can cover all the bases.

Most craft hit the ground and simply crumpled. There's real footage from recent crashes that show that. Almost like a paper bag with sticks hitting the ground.

We do have alternative crashes in there with fire, fly campaign more and you should see.

Aye Pol, we should appreciate your constant dilemma as developers... you can't please all of the people all of the time. As far as I'm concerned you've done a grand job already. For those that want a bit more 'Hollywood' there's the Strong setting for Guns for instance - regular flamers guaranteed. For those that want a more true-to-historical experience then the OFF default delivers - you've got it as right as you can for P3, IMO.

I've FE1 & 2 and, like rabu, Wings of War with all the mods on my rig and am not ashamed to fire up whichever matches my mood and available time. But OFF is where I go after reading any WW1 pilots autobiography and want immersion. Anyone who might doubt OFF's approach to authenticity need only read Louvert's character's last encounter with Navarre.

I wouldn't worry about it, keep it as real as possible, Pol, that's why it's great to have more then one choice, like I said, for just fun arcade, you can fly games like Wings of War, then come back to OFF for a more reality based flight.