Sign in to follow this  
SirMike1983

Recommend Some Pedals for OFF

I've been flying for YEARS without pedals. I've been told by a number of people I should get some. I guess I should start looking into it, since I finally have a high quality machine and a nice monitor and all.

I currently fly with a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro stick. It's a basic non-Force FB stick with a twist rudder. What I'd like to do is simply get some basic non-force pedals go with it. So what I'm looking for is something relative cheap, but durable, simple and that can work in conjunction with a basic stick like my Logitech. USB is preferred (I think they all are now anyway). I fly OFF most of the time, FS2004 some of the time (might get FSX eventually), and CFS3 once in a great while. I do have BoBII but don't fly it much. Any stick out there that meets my needs and that you would recommend?

I've been doing some searching but have zero experience buying rudder pedals. I tend to favor Logitech stuff (have had great luck with their stuff over the years).

I've been flying for YEARS without pedals. I've been told by a number of people I should get some. I guess I should start looking into it, since I finally have a high quality machine and a nice monitor and all.

I currently fly with a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro stick. It's a basic non-Force FB stick with a twist rudder. What I'd like to do is simply get some basic non-force pedals go with it. So what I'm looking for is something relative cheap, but durable, simple and that can work in conjunction with a basic stick like my Logitech. USB is preferred (I think they all are now anyway). I fly OFF most of the time, FS2004 some of the time (might get FSX eventually), and CFS3 once in a great while. I do have BoBII but don't fly it much. Any stick out there that meets my needs and that you would recommend?

I've been doing some searching but have zero experience buying rudder pedals. I tend to favor Logitech stuff (have had great luck with their stuff over the years).

SirMike,

There are not a lot of choices out there...it's either CH Pro Pedals ($99 at Amazon.com) or Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Pedals ($109 also at Amazon). Like any controller, which one you like is largely a matter of personal choice.

I've used a CH Flightstick, CH Pro Pedals, and CH Pro Throttle setup for many years without any problems at all. The Pro Pedals work well with other brands of sticks, not sure if the same is true of Saitek...it's something you would need to verify.

SirMike,

I didn't mention the Thrustmaster Elite rudder pedals...I believe that they would be incompatible with your Logitech joystick.

As a Logitech fan, you might consider the Logitech 940 system. http://www.gamingshogun.com/Article/5463/Review_of_the_Logitech_G940_Flight_System.html I haven't found a source for buying the rudder pedals alone, but the whole system allows force feedback and looks pretty solid for around $250.

BTW, Amazon has used CH rudder pedals for as low as $89. They are extremely durable, so could be a good deal.

SirMike, I have the same JS as you and added a set of the Saitek PZ35 Pro Flight Pedals to my system about a year ago, and I love 'em. No issues whatsoever and they have made OFF a completely different sim. I highly recommend getting rudder pedals, I just wish now that I hadn't put it off so long myself.

Cheers!

Lou

Thanks for the ideas here. I guess it's between CH and Saitek then on the pedals. The Saiteks look a bit more user-friendly with their wider stance. I read a comparison between the two on SimHQ the last evening. It seems both are pretty good options.

I read on board that the CH pedals draw a fair bit more power off the USB hub. Is that true? Anyone have or use both with a comparison of the two?

I'm leaning towards the Saiteks at the moment, though comparisons are welcomed.

Hi SirMike, i've had my Pro saiteks about 6 months now and love em.I'am runing Vista 64 and haven't had any problems.

CH all the way for me mike....i have two sets...one has 8 yrs of flying on them and i fly a lot....

i have had to replace a control pot on the right pedel once.....cost was 5.00 for the part and i did the work myself...

nothing but good to say for them..

PD

• Like 1

For the CH guys-- how much power do they draw on the USB hub? One of the reviews I saw said CH was drawing a lot of power off the hub.

My current USB has its own power supply (so maybe it doesn't matter). But I was wondering if you noticed any kind of power or performance hit by hooking them up?

i have noticed no performence issues at all...

thats a 10 yr track record so your good to go..

pd

CH sounds like a good bet then. The general online reviews seem to say that both are good, but that the CH is more durable in the long term. The general ratings on the CH pedals are actually a little higher it seems too, as people seem to be having fewer installation and set up issues with them. Saitek has its fans though.

The only downside of it is that there really don't seem to be any "cheap but effective" rudder pedals out there. I paid pretty small beans for my Logitech stick and its been very good. Even the twist action still works. It seems with pedals you're out more money straight off, though perhaps the quality is better.

CHs are on the way from Amazon (well will be, free shipping is a bit slow). I checked through ebay and found that Amazon is still the best buy for these are $99. I found that surprising because ebay seems to have everything if you look long enough. I also checked some online retailers and they were considerably more expensive than Amazon ($130 range was common). So I think I did ok with the Amazon deal plus free shipping.

I think they will work with my desk. I have an ikea drafting type desk I use-- it's basically a giant Erector Set. Those of you who've seen metal frame drafting tables will know what I mean. I'm figuring the pedals can go up against my electrical box or the wall to keep them from moving.

Al, I hear you on the Nieuports. I've been switching off between them and Spads lately and you get a real different feel from each. They both have their virtues. I'm still tweaking a TrackIr I got awhile back for a new update to the software. It's a real help in the Spads because of the weird cockpit and gun sight lay out. The Nieuports seem pretty basic and easy to line up though. That N.24 is a gem, though I do like to switch between that and the Spad XIII sometimes to work different tactics.

After 17 years of flying different PC flight sims, this will actually be the first time I have pedals. I've actually got a pretty nice rig going for the first time since the early RBII days when I got a 400 mhz Micron new.

I'm wondering if it might be possible to make a "vintage" rudder bar setup. I imagine these controls, in their simplest form, are a circuit with a potentiometer connected. Moving the controls moves the potentiometer and sends a signal to the computer through a PCB circuit. You could probably make a simple base and shape a block of wood like your favorite WW1 fighter's rudder bar. Then put the circuit and potentiometer into the base and hook up the rudder bar to a couple springs and the potentiometer. You wouldn't have toe brakes, but it could be an interesting little build project for the technically inclined.

Edited by SirMike1983

And it's rather difficult to be gentile, when using both legs

I've never had the slightest problem with it, but a friend of mine who just happens to be a Rabbi, refuses to attempt it even on one leg. :rofl:

Cheers,

Parky

The thing you'll need to work on then, is how to insure your computer chair is motionless, whenever you're "flying". As Trackir won't appreciate many tiny 'Shifts' in distance. I can see lots of use for F12 in the future, or a modification of null zone in the profile.. I've got it rather well taken care of, by just engaging the Locks on my wheelchair wheels, then I ain't moving Period

The Rudder Bar idea looks good on paper, but actually building one would be a nightmare. The Slightest Vertical Movement of the Rudder Bar itself, would be the "Kiss of Death" for that potentiameter. And it's rather difficult to be gentile, when using both legs

A modification in the null zone is a good idea now that you bring it up. I have a rolling desk chair and tend to fidget quite a bit in flight (trusty bottle of water or iced tea nearby). I wonder if a null zone edit to some of the axes would be a nice improvement.

Will do......

Cheers,

Parky

And soooooo......

All this talk about rudder pedals (I too have been flying without them for years) kind of had me thinking maybe it was time to take the leap. Was walking through Bestbuy and spotted some Saiteks on sale (open box discount) and snapped 'em up. Ran me $100 after taxes, which ain't all that bad I figure. Got 'em home, hooked 'em up, disabled the twist function on my MSFFB2 and the toe-brake stuff, and took to the skies in my favorite mount (the TripeHound) for some quick combat. OMFG!!......I need to learn how to fly again, and almost from scratch it would seem...

The first thing I noticed was just how lacking the MSFFB2 had been when it came to rudder response (Uncle Al has mentioned this more than once in the past.....now I know what he was talking about). The second thing I noticed was how I keep twisting the freakin' joystick at the same time I'm applying rudder with the pedals. Makes me feel like a complete moron. Can't seem to disassociate myself from that twist thing without giving it a great deal of concious effort....it's getting easier with time though.

The third thing I noticed (after about 3 or 4 hours of of some rather ugly crashes and getting my arse kicked by some DIII's) is just how much more effectively I can whip that Tripe around in a turn when I get it just right. Absolutley amazing difference it makes with the pedals.

Sir Mike.....you opened up this can, and I'm really glad you did. I've got news for you though. You're gonna' be looking at a bit of a learning curve.....and it's not quite as shallow as some of these guys have made it sound. You're gonna' be humbled at the start. Humbled, confused and frustrated probably, but stick with it. It takes some getting used to, and I'm far from comfortable with the entirely different feel of the controls, but as time passes, I'm really starting to enjoy the added immersion it brings to the table. Well worth the investment.....you won't be disappointed. Almost right up there with TrackIR in terms of the enhancement factor, and that's saying a lot.

I'm eager to hear your initial impressions...

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I was wondering how in God's Name you utilized Pedals, with that desk. The only possible solution is you must be small in Physical Stature. Because I HAD to attack that desk with my Sabre Saw to allow the pedals themselves to be on the floor, otherwise I just wouldn't fit.

Al,

As I recall, when I posted a picture of my setup here, you commented that you had the same desk. Well....you know that lower shelf that sits right in front of your feet? The Saiteks sit up on that shelf quite nicely and extend to their full range of motion without any interference from the back-panel, and without having to butcher anything at all. If 6'0" and 190lbs is small in stature, then you've been hangin' around for too long with my buddy Chuck, who's down in Arkansaw. He's 6'7" and 360lbs.......which does make me feel a bit diminutive.

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1

Hey uncleal,

I still have my MS sidewinder3 twisty. Don't think with the computer "closet" I have I can use rudder peddles. Can the twist in the stick be adjusted /programmed somewhere in the programming to increase its maximum amount of apparent rudder degree? Kind of like the trackIR shows you your "6" when you've only moved your head about 20 degrees?

I'll field this one for you, Al.

Nope......that adjustment is not possible with the MSFFB2 and I own 5 of 'em......I'm not sure about your Sidewinder 3. Didn't know they even made one....I'll assume that was a typo?

Cheers,

Parky

• Like 1

My error. Its a 2. Nutz! Guess I'll have to live with it a while.

They shipped today, so should be in next week.

Parky-- I accidentally gave you the red above if you're wondering. I meant to hit the green one on that post but miss clicked and caught the red I guess. I gave you 2 greens in return to make up for that 1 red I accidentally gave you. Sorry

Mike,

Glad your pedals are enroute. As far as that +/- stuff is concerned?? I didn't know it even existed up until about a week and a half ago. Interesting format though, and I can see how it would lend itself to a certain amount of "abuse". That's all I'm gonna' say about it. Mostly, I just come here to exchange ideas, a bit of humour, hopefully pick up a helpful tip now and then, and leave it at that.

Make sure to report back....

Cheers Mate,

Parky

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this: it appears that Amazon shipped from literally a 45 minute drive from here. It almost always takes like a week for their stuff to arrive here, but for some reason it's showing the pedals as originating from somewhere very close by-- probably somewhere in Maryland. They shipped yesterday and it has an arrival expected date of Monday. If all goes ok (crosses fingers) I may become even more of an Amazon fan than I already am. Free shipping that is next business day sounds great to me.

Edited by SirMike1983

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this: it appears that Amazon shipped from literally a 45 minute drive from here. It almost always takes like a week for their stuff to arrive here, but for some reason it's showing the pedals as originating from somewhere very close by-- probably somewhere in Maryland. They shipped yesterday and it has an arrival expected date of Monday. If all goes ok (crosses fingers) I may become even more of an Amazon fan than I already am. Free shipping that is next business day sounds great to me.

Good for you!!

Amazon lately is doing something strange, the little stuff like Music CD's . . or . .Books still comes Prority USPS. But the major league goodies like Pedals, or just recently the Saitek Throttle Quadrant. Amazon.com formally inlisted the services of UPS or FED EX, no longer it would seem.

They're using something called LASER SHIP. Within a few days of ordering, some guy in his private car, brings you your parcel . STRANGE . . .I ain't complaining, beats the hell out of a week for UPS Ground, Fed Ex Figure 3 Days. . but they ain't cheap

That's the first I've heard of that. I'll have to look into it. The pedals I have carry a UPS tracking number and are in their system. Perhaps Laser Ship is only in some market areas and not others?

I tried them tonight and generally like them. I need to disable the z-axis on my flight stick. I looked through the controls menu in the sim and couldn't find a z-axis listing under "rudder". How do I disable the z-axis on the stick and toe brakes on the pedals?