Sign in to follow this  
Waldemar Kurtz

tail gun station on the FE2b

I've been flying the FE2b for awhile now-- and, for the life of me, I can't remember the AI ever bothering to fire on enemy machines with the tail gun. the chin gun is a lively fellow-- but I've never seen the tail gun do anything UNLESS I manually operate that station and open fire.

so something I was wondering about-- would it be possible to "move" some of those Lewis drums to the chin gun instead? if there are 388 bullets for the chin gun and 388 bullets for the tail gun-- I'd find that it was more useful to put 6 or 7 drums (582 - 679 drums) on the forward gun. that would still leave 97- 194 bullets for defending the 6 o'clock position. since the plane flies in a straight line once you hop on the observer's station-- there's not much benefit to the thing. scouts always just sorta drift into the lattice-work and it becomes counter-productive to even try and operate the tail gun except in the most fortuitous or unusual circumstances!

anybody else have some advice or thoughts on this tail-gun station for the FE2b?

Would've answered before Now, but forces beyond my control wouldn't allow it :cool:

In Real Life the Observer/Gunner decided where the Drums were needed most, but at NO time were more than 388 rounds at his disposal.

How many Drums not only could be safely SECURED for flight, but how much would they WEIGH ?

776 rounds means how many drums on the floor of his cockpit, and how many is he sitting on ?

Bottom Line . . we can't shift what isn't there

so then the 388 rounds at both stations is a magical courtesy of the game, eh? I guess I can live with that then.

so the critical aspect about flying the FE2b in battle is to fly in such a way as to limit the times when your observer opens fire-- often times they fire at longer ranges, or at twisting and turning aircraft with mixed results. it reminds me of the WFP2 patch in Red Baron 3D... where sometimes you had to fly so that your observer COULD NOT open fire-- thusly conserving ammo for definite kills instead of mere intimidation or torment. good info to know.

thanks

so then the 388 rounds at both stations is a magical courtesy of the game, eh? I guess I can live with that then.

so the critical aspect about flying the FE2b in battle is to fly in such a way as to limit the times when your observer opens fire-- often times they fire at longer ranges, or at twisting and turning aircraft with mixed results. it reminds me of the WFP2 patch in Red Baron 3D... where sometimes you had to fly so that your observer COULD NOT open fire-- thusly conserving ammo for definite kills instead of mere intimidation or torment. good info to know.

thanks

Ammo loadouts are defined in the aircrafts .xdp file. You can read/edit this in notepad. Since the ammo drums were carried in a common crew position (the front gunner was also the rear gunner) you could easily modify the amount of ammo for each gun. This is all fine for single player, but then if you play in multiplayer, the aircraft's .xdp file that you modified will mismatch with the host. This is to prevent cheating, making sure that all online players have the same ammo loadouts.

Edited by Winston DoRight