Sign in to follow this  
vonOben

Ground Forces Attack missions in HiTR campaign

Hi

I flew a ground forces attack mission today, but I couldn’t detect any ground forces at the way point.

Should there be ground forces there and if so suggestions to find them would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Cheers :drinks:

vonOben

Edited by vonOben

Hiya vO!

This is an easy one.

If you can't find the ground target, fly at a couple of hundred feet at around 50mph just over where you think it should be. When all hell breaks loose and you can feel the machine gunners peppering your aircraft, you've found them.

Cheers,

Si

German fighters should NEVER be assigned ground attack missions. with the French I'm not so sure-- but it seems unlikely given just how many two-seaters the French had at their disposal.

on the whole, having fighters attack ground forces should be a distinctly British form of entertainment.

sometimes you just have to wander around for a good 5-10 minutes and something will show up. if not.... just start strafing trenches. the sacrificial enemy ground forces in CFS3 would be purple on the TAC-- that way you could make your "burnt offering" to the gods of war in a manner that was pleasing to them. I've never seen this during campaign play-- so if you attack anything that's considered "good enough".

if you feel like attacking trenches do it as fast as you possible can. always use bombs first. one or two bomb hits can take out three to four times as many trenches in one pass as your machine gun could. for the best results line up directly over the trench lines and look for the tightest concentration of entrenched troops and drop your bombs. if you managed to get away without too much trouble keep your speed as high as possible and extend about a mile or two away before climbing up and attempting to repeat the process. I like to get up to at least several thousand feet before I try attacking again-- if I can help it, I always try to attack ground forces at a speed of no less than 150 mph.

finding little green men marching around, a column of trucks is to be preferred... but if you've really got no other choice and WANT to attack something-- that's how you'd do it.

personally, I don't think I'd have a problem not attacking ground forces at all if the only thing I had at my disposal was a single machine gun. it's not like I've got trenches to hide in! after about 1916 attacking ground forces without using bombs becomes crazy, if not outright suicidal.

hee, hee...more often than not I use the same method as Si to find 'em. :grin:

And I agree with Waldemar Kurtz. If you want to fly ground attack missions get assigned to an RFC squadron, preferably flying the DH5, which in OFF is the only legitimate single-seater we have for the job. That kite is a beast when it comes to taking damage, and it is exciting trying to strafe the targets without flying yourself directly into the mud.

"Have fun storming the castle, boys. Bye bye."

Lou

I think you might have had same problem as me in finding the ground forces to shoot at. I eventually spotted them, when i say them i mean him! Often the target is a single figure on the ground, at a distance he looks like a post. Shoot up the nearby trenches they are a bigger target!

I believe the Camel was used extensively for ground attack.

I think you might have had same problem as me in finding the ground forces to shoot at. I eventually spotted them, when i say them i mean him! Often the target is a single figure on the ground, at a distance he looks like a post. Shoot up the nearby trenches they are a bigger target!

I believe the Camel was used extensively for ground attack.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I've been away on vacation so that's the reason for my late reply.

No wonder it was hard to find if ithe target is only one soldier.... :cool:

Cheers

vonOben

I've seen aircraft attacking the grass in the center of an airfield. Or maybe there was a mole?

If you want to determin your target for sure, you could use TAC. Switch it to "ground objects"

or "vehicles" by pressing "T". There should be a red target the end of the blue way line.

You can mark it (press pause first) by switching through the targets with the "target marker",

until you get a yellow sign. Outside, on the ground, you should see a yellow circle now.

This is not so very good looking, but it's the only way, I think, how you can assign the target

to your wingmen with the "Attack" command.

The ground target(s) you seek are usually somewhere near the waypoints but probably not exactly at the end of any of the waypoints. You have to look around a bit for them.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I've been away on vacation so that's the reason for my late reply.

No wonder it was hard to find if ithe target is only one soldier.... :cool:

Cheers

vonOben

Whilst there are snipers in OFF (the single soldier) they are never the target - if you find one its purely chance.

WM

We even have Snipers in OFF? Good to know - I will escape on 19 September - I will sneak out more careful now!

Who sais there was no detail in there...

And Aussie machine gunners indeed! Ruined the whole war for us!

Edited by Olham