Sign in to follow this  
rabu

Microsoft Announces Flight - Can OFF use this?

Wow! This looks interesting... Visit the website here

Could this end up being the game engine update the OFF team has been looking for? Hint, hint.. :ok: MS always has excellent SDK tools included.. so???

Guest Tazkiller

Damm video will hardy run.

Don't expect much from the sim!!!!!

Damm video will hardy run.

Don't expect much from the sim!!!!!

Works fine for me and I have nothing special.. maybe a problem on your end?

That's doubtful unless they can use the engine and not the DRM. It's on Games for Windows Live. Internet connection required to play.

• Like 1

The engine looks great, from what little you actually get to see. But even if there was no DRM attached to it, there's a big jump from a Flight Simulator to a Combat Flight Simulator. If it's just a flight sim, there is probably little or no damage model in place which would have to be built from scratch and somehow added in. Plus, the Devs would literally have to re-skin 4,000 planes as I'm sure they wouldn't be able to import them. Since P4 is already under deep development, figure P5 with this engine would show up somewhere around 2016. Even still, we can always dream, right?

Hellshade

Note the absence of the word "Simulator" this time around. Plus they sacked the entire ACES team. For years MS has concentrated almost exclusively on their console. What kind of game will they make for this "pc exclusive"...and for how long will it remain so.

I think this can best be summed up by a sarcastic comment on the SimHQ forums..."I wonder if it will be the left or right thumbstick to control the aircraft...."

Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

Oh well, guess we'll jsut have to wait and see.

Well that really shows and tells you nothing. Looks like it will be a long wait, to see what it becomes.

Well that really shows and tells you nothing. Looks like it will be a long wait, to see what it becomes.

Yeah, too little to really know what they're up to in that video. I honestly like FS2004 though. I probably should look into FSX now that I have a more powerful machine (early 2009 model at least).

Since they've unloaded the designers who knew what a simulator was, i'm not holding my breath.

Instincts suggest it won't be good, I won't be wasting money on it.

As Hellshade says, that depends on combat, no combat no good ;)

Speaking of simulation engines the below one was mentioned lately at a discussion at SOH so I checked the link and was impressed. It uses fractal technology to be able to render the planet from space to tclose to the ground. Still a WIP but imho of great promise. Check it out here:

http://outerra.com/

Yeah, too little to really know what they're up to in that video. I honestly like FS2004 though. I probably should look into FSX now that I have a more powerful machine (early 2009 model at least).

Yes, you should!

I loved fs2004...but with a decent rig, FSX blows it out of the water (imho)

I loved fs2004...but with a decent rig, FSX blows it out of the water (imho)

It does......but only if you have some decent add-ons for it. Genesis or FS Global for mesh, Ultimate Terrain, Ground Environment Extreme, Real Environment X, My Traffic (or something similar) would pretty much be "must have".

Without those, as far as I'm concerned, FSX out of the box looks like a total pile of crap. Mind you, we should be used to that by now.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Are FS2004 planes compatible with FSX?

I rarely if ever fly the stock planes. I usually go for the good custom planes-- there's a P-26 Peashooter out for FS2004 that is great. There are also nice offerings from Warwick Carter (love the Gee Bee Racer). Would these be available for me still if I went to FSX?

Most FS2004 add-on aircraft will work in FSX. Sometimes it requires a bit of "tweaking" to get them installed and working correctly. There are some pretty good tutorials out there that will help you overcome most issues. One aircraft I really enjoy flying in FSX is the Real Air Spitfire. It's redesigned specifically for FSX compatibility, costs a couple of bucks, but well worth the asking price.

Cheers,

Parky