Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Janes Advanced Strike Fighters

Looks like a jet version of the same developers earlier Heroes over Pacific and Heroes over Europe games which precede HAWX by a few years. Arcade shooters all the way with no pretentions of realism at all.

Makes TK's claim of just making a game and not a sim seem overly humble!

Makes TK's claim of just making a game and not a sim seem overly humble!

I have been saying that for years. :grin:

Well TK's Sim-game is something most people on this site come back to over and over and over again... when I was going on secondment with my job to Vienna I was worried about if the laptop I had could handle it so I put Version 1 on and sat and missed SF2 simply because I didn't know if it would run... after a few weeks I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised that it did...

Strike Fighters may be Sim-Lite but it isn't Sim-Dumb... and with the great people here its sometimes makes me frustrated just trying to complete a missions I mean 4 SA-3 batteries popping a SAM at me with an SA-8 along for good measure with 2 Flankers trying to kill me thats a bad day at the virtual office... and to be honest the allowance by TK to allow it to be modded from here to doomsday and back does make it a whole heap more interesting than a point and shoot flying game... but thats just me I guess...

New Ace Combat in the works, HAWX 2, this game, DCS A-10 in the pipeline, and MS Flight just announced. Game or sim or whatever, I'm happy to see a resurgence in the flight genre. I still say the arcade games are great gateways for kids to find an interest in aviation. I think my first aviation related game was probably Captain Skyhawk, and that certainly wasn't a sim. Plus I still enjoy an arcadey break from time to time, I'm a big fan of the Ace Combat series, although they seem to be taking a new direction with the story that I don't like by placing it in the real world.

My first real sim was ACE on the C-64, and that was about as realistic as these games. I too am happy to see a resurgence in the flight gengre.

Also, Apache Air Assault is coming out, too.

I always wondered why Jane's would allow their name to be attached to an arcade game? Considering their reputation for impeccable research, and Jane's Combat Simulations back in the 1990s, this seems like a stupid move. I'd only buy it if it came with a whole heap of information on the aircraft depicted (sort of an abridged "Jane's All The World's Aircraft, concentrating on the aircraft in the game).