Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

Almost done..

well after a grand total of almost 10 years (97-99, 02-10) i am finally done working at Smoke Bomb Hill DFAC on Ft Bragg. i pick up my clearing papers this week and wrap up 14 years in the US Army with 2 months of terminal leave starting next month. Would like to go the last 6 years but 3 bulging discs in my back kinda disagree with that aim. Its kinda interesting closing such a long chapter in your life.

I did 9 years 91 - 2000 give or take and I know what you mean leaving after spending so much time in the military going back to civilian life is not an easy challenge for some people. It wasn't for me anyway but thats the nature of the job... I spent my terminal leave travelling best thing I could have done I think... and now life is getting more relaxed I have found a job I love and it gives me a challenge mentally not so much physically... So all I will say is good luck out there in the deployment called civvie street... and be proud :drinks:

Its hard to adjust after all those years. I did almost 17 years active duty before transfering to USAFR. Took awhile but you get used to it. I am full time Reserve now (ART) but its still way different than active duty. I wear a uniform one weekend a month and civies the rest but do the exact same job. So for 28 days out of each month I'm techincally a civie, but have to use my rank. Talk about night and day rules though. What are your plans?

I noticed a big difference as well when I became a reservist, some crazy rules that take a little while to figure out. Loved it though, much better than active duty because you have much tighter control over your life.

However, since I officially retired 17 days ago, I haven't noticed any more time available...seems like I'm just as busy as ever!

FC

lookin at gettin in with one the the contractors and run a shift or DFAC in the desert for one year. might as well get a piece of that before Iraq closes or Congress shuts down OEF. For the month of September though gonna unpack the new house while my wifes at work (hah hows that for role reversal) and see about doing some catering on the side when sittin at home gets on my nerves. probably about two weeks after my terminal leave starts:grin:

I had a lot of leave too and man about 3 weeks into it I was going nuts.

did my 10 + 3 Reserve..It was fun, Glad its over :salute: