Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

Defecting Korean in Defective plane...

Uncle Kim's happy paradise seems to be not so happy...

Yea, that would be the understatement of the century...

FC

Looks like a may have been a MIG-21?

The new says a Korean war era jet, but to me is like a MiG-21 variant...

Possibly a Mongol as there are reports it was a two seater...

I heard it is a MiG-21PF/PFM

Would it have the range to reach Russia?

Apparently, no.

I heard that it was Mig-15 but doesn't look like...

Edited by Kulbit80

Would it have the range to reach Russia?

Double checked on the map and Russia pretty much borders NK on the Eastern side - so if he was going to russia taking the long route over China seems a strange way to go.

Russia isn't as kindly to NK as China is, but I've no idea how they would relatively treat a defector.

As for the plane, it might not have been in good enough shape to reach Russia! The other possibilty is it crashed because it was damaged in the escape.

I heard it is a MiG-21PF/PFM

Easy. It's either a MiG-21MF or PFM. The thick dorsal spine totally gives it away. You can even see the delta main wing. Who are they kidding?

Defective, my @ss...The only real question is: who shot it down during the escape? NK or China?

No MF, such an antenna on the back had only the PF/PFM. It seems to be that it had a big vertical tail, so it is a MiG-21PFM.

Easy. It's either a MiG-21MF or PFM. The thick dorsal spine totally gives it away. You can even see the delta main wing. Who are they kidding?

Defective, my @ss...The only real question is: who shot it down during the escape? NK or China?

Not shot down.

And that is not delta wing,that is tail.

And NK have no any delta wing fishbeds.

Not shot down.

And that is not delta wing,that is tail.

And NK have no any delta wing fishbeds.

Erwin - the vertical surface sticking up is obviously the vertical fin. When I said delta wing, I'm not referring to that.

And when I say "delta main wing" I am NOT suggesting Mig-21s have true deltas like Mirages and Delta Daggers. I AM suggesting the main wing is "triangular" which is exactly what the term "delta" means. All Mig-21s AFAIK have a "triangular" main wing and horizontal stabilizers in a "conventional" configuration.

If you review Brain32's pic above, the guy in the white hat is at the corner of the "delta main wing". He's almost touching it. The guy in all green is walking along side the port main wing.

Both the MiG-21 and A-4 were referred to as "tailed deltas." Others included the Su-9/11, Su-15/21, and Gloster Javelin.

Erwin - the vertical surface sticking up is obviously the vertical fin. When I said delta wing, I'm not referring to that.

And when I say "delta main wing" I am NOT suggesting Mig-21s have true deltas like Mirages and Delta Daggers. I AM suggesting the main wing is "triangular" which is exactly what the term "delta" means. All Mig-21s AFAIK have a "triangular" main wing and horizontal stabilizers in a "conventional" configuration.

If you review Brain32's pic above, the guy in the white hat is at the corner of the "delta main wing". He's almost touching it. The guy in all green is walking along side the port main wing.

Sorry,my mistake,something not understand....

Sorry,my mistake,something not understand....

No worries, brother. :drinks: