Sign in to follow this  
Flyby PC

RIP Bill Millin

Another brave WW2 veteran is with us no more.

Bill Millin was the piper who played ashore Lord Lovat's commandos on D-Day to the tune of Highland Laddie, and played the troops off the beaches towards their objective. The sound of the approaching bagpipes was a most welcome sound of approaching relief for the beleaguered paratroopers who's taken and held the Orne River Bridge, nowadays known as Pegasus Bridge.

Takes a lot of guts to pipe the troops forward, unarmed, and defenceless. Rest in peace Bill.

He's still with us. Only that He's both six feet underground and watching from above.

A full parade dress salute to Bill Millin. Pipe them into the Gates of Heaven now, Billy lad...pipe them in.

Well said Lou, these vets are passing way to quick now. I see many wearing their unit or Army hats now of days. I get some weird looks when I walk up and thank them or any vet for their service, I also get some big smiles after I thank them. I regret that I have not spent more time talking with them. I started thanking them and talking with them a few years back. I was born on Dec. 7th. so I have always been interested in anything related to Pearl Harbor. I was working in a gas station when a gentleman came in with a Pearl Harbor survivor Cap came in. I was able to talk with him as I filled up his car. The story he told was unforgetable and nothing like the movies. I regret not thanking these men for our freedom sooner.