Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

High Tech Meets Old School: New Monitor and Throttle For My Off Cockpit

Greetings All,

Yesterday my lovely wife surprised me with a new 22" LG monitor for my flying computer. Is she a great woman or what, (the answer to that rhetorical question being a resounding YES!). I got it set up last night and all I can say is WOW! What a major difference in all levels of enjoyment.

Now, I had also been working on a portside throttle system after uncleal's post about the PZ45 he modified. Unfortunately, when the one I purchased arrived it turned out to be DOA and I had to send it back. But after I saw it and how large it was I decided it was not quite what I was after anyway and the gears started turning in my old noggin. On Friday evening I went out to my barn, which is packed full of all the junk and bits and pieces from years of different hobbies, and after about 30 minutes of scrounging I came in with the parts needed for the experiment I'd cooked up. A couple hours worth of fiddling with assembly and adjustment, and by 10:00pm Friday night I had the following system working beautifully:

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_1.jpg

The throttle lever feels just exactly the way you would expect it to in a WWI kite, and by using a pair of fiber washer and bushing at the pivot of the lever I was able to adjust the drag to the precise spot I wanted. The "Bowden Cable" is actually a heater flap vent control cable from a1969 AMC Javelin and the throttle lever itself is...well actually I'll see if anyone can guess what that started life as. :wink:

I have been thoroughly enjoying the early hours this A.M. flying in my new and improved OFF cockpit. Me so happy.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_2.jpg

Now, for that "Smell of Victory" product British_eh posted. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

"well actually I'll see if anyone can guess what that started life as"

Is it the "foot lever" off of a sewing machine?

"well actually I'll see if anyone can guess what that started life as"

Is it the "foot lever" off of a sewing machine?

Very nice throttle! Could it have been half of a small pliers (tool)?

Good guesses folks, and we do have a winner. pauljle correctly ID'd the "lever" as one half of a pair of a pliers. And a very old pair of pliers it was, which I took apart and ground down the business end of to work for this application, after which I polished it up on the buffing wheel to give it that new 1914 look.

Cheers!

Lou

OK, despite having to travel a lot the last couple of weeks, I have had some time to fly with my new monitor and throttle set-up, and it is GRRRRRREAT ! (to quote Tony the Tiger). I am amazed at how much more I can now see when flying. And reaching over to port to adjust an actual throttle lever is just one more sweet little immersion factor. I am now toying with an idea for a real choke knob fitted ahead of the throttle lever too.

Now then, where to mount that fan and castor oil spritzer so it will blow squarely into me 'ol kisser. :grin:

Sure your wife is great - and of qite some tactical intelligence! :cool:

I have also just received my new monitor, an LG Flatron L227WTP, but I'm not happy yet.

The colours were much better on my old monitor, I think.

I may send it back.

Thanks, Cameljockey! I have already chosen and ordered a monitor yesterday; this PHILIPS one:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/office-lcd-monitors/brilliance-22-w-p-line-1680-x-1050-format-1610-225p1es_00/prd/

It has a 5 inch hight adjustability, the monitor can be turned vertical (good for drawing and painting),

and it had good test reports here.

Edited by Olham