Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

OFF has a living enviroment, but mostly military

OFF already has one of the most living enviroments in the flying sim-world, so definitely i'm just spoiled, but i have an idea or better, something i want to point out.

one thing i noticed is that 99% of the vehicles, people etc. are military related. so if you are flying and see a group of men, you know they are soldiers. if you see cars etc, you know it's a convoy. there is no civil life, besides the houses and farms. the towns and villages are as lifeless as paris in ww2 when hitler was going out for a walk.

maybe as a suggestion for p4. how about adding many more of the civil people who are living in this country? if we have cars driving around airfields, why don't add civil cars or lorries or carriages in towns, driving through the streets. groups of civil people, man an women, walking through the streets? at farms having horses and farmers. having groups of refugess at the open streets, maybe at the front or at destroyed villages, dead horses etc. many more of civil life and people who actually live in this country.

so if you are out for a strafe run you have to look first, is it the enemy or just a group of civil people. is it a convoy or just some carriages of refugees.

i don't think it's too resource hungry but maybe i'm wrong. maybe to hard to do. might be dependable of the density setting.

just an idea for p4 :salute:

OFF already has one of the most living enviroments in the flying sim-world, so definitely i'm just spoiled, but i have an idea or better, something i want to point out.

one thing i noticed is that 99% of the vehicles, people etc. are military related. so if you are flying and see a group of men, you know they are soldiers. if you see cars etc, you know it's a convoy. there is no civil life, besides the houses and farms. the towns and villages are as lifeless as paris in ww2 when hitler was going out for a walk.

maybe as a suggestion for p4. how about adding many more of the civil people who are living in this country? if we have cars driving around airfields, why don't add civil cars or lorries or carriages in towns, driving through the streets. groups of civil people, man an women, walking through the streets? at farms having horses and farmers. having groups of refugess at the open streets, maybe at the front or at destroyed villages, dead horses etc. many more of civil life and people who actually live in this country.

so if you are out for a strafe run you have to look first, is it the enemy or just a group of civil people. is it a convoy or just some carriages of refugees.

i don't think it's too resource hungry but maybe i'm wrong. maybe to hard to do. might be dependable of the density setting.

just an idea for p4 :salute:

:-)

I vote 3 as well... as it could define your pilot as some one who is feared by all or a gentleman...

Does this means what I think it means? :grin:

It means that P4 is gonna blow our socks off methinks!

I have never known the devs to be so quiet! (and I go back to P1)...it's all very optomistic!! :drinks:

Yes, that would be neat.. I remember making a cow patch (cow mod :grin: ) for Red Baron many years ago, any one remember it? Players liked it and I had a sign, please don't shoot! So, maybe we'll get some moving cattle, civilians, etc. in P4, excellent idea, but sounds like WM has already got plans!

BTW.. Rise of Flight just added sun reflections in the watter and it's extremely effective.. is there any way to add reflection qualities to the water in OFF to get a similar effect?

Edited by rabu

.....a nudist colony on the shoreline??????? :grin:

By a show of hands . . . . . How Many Remember the 3 Legged Horse, pulling the Hay Cart in Phase II, or those cleverly concealed underground factories in Phase 1, or the exploding grass:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

My favorite was the Railroad Yard with no tracks, or the wind sox in the middle of the airfield

I was the victim of one of those maliciously placed windsocks! It must have had a mine attached to it because as soon as I hit it I went up in a fireball.:blowup:

Yes, that would be neat.. I remember making a cow patch (cow mod :grin: ) for Red Baron many years ago, any one remember it? Players liked it and I had a sign, please don't shoot! So, maybe we'll get some moving cattle, civilians, etc. in P4, excellent idea, but sounds like WM has already got plans!

BTW.. Rise of Flight just added sun reflections in the watter and it's extremely effective.. is there any way to add reflection qualities to the water in OFF to get a similar effect?

I remember that cow patch! I was reading this thread thinking about how far we've come. From LGM (Little Green Men) to an environment that is nearly alive. Quite an improvement in what, ten, twelve years?

EDIT: Any Red Baron players remember the Green Truck and Green Tent? Talk about an immersive environment. Balloon Attack missions in RB3D had a bonus target, which consisted of a truck (or lorrie for you brits out there ;)) and a green tent located right below the offending balloon. I remember getting bonus points for shooting those targets up. Doing so, of course, required you avoided the two machine gun nests and four artillery pieces located near by.

How far we've come indeed.

PS: Completely agree, and I'm glad to see Winder smiling. Civilian targets, erm, I mean, options in the game would definitely add even more to the environment. Cheers!

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I remember that cow patch! I was reading this thread thinking about how far we've come. From LGM (Little Green Men) to an environment that is nearly alive. Quite an improvement in what, ten, twelve years?

EDIT: Any Red Baron players remember the Green Truck and Green Tent? Talk about an immersive environment. Balloon Attack missions in RB3D had a bonus target, which consisted of a truck (or lorrie for you brits out there ;)) and a green tent located right below the offending balloon. I remember getting bonus points for shooting those targets up. Doing so, of course, required you avoided the two machine gun nests and four artillery pieces located near by.

How far we've come indeed.

PS: Completely agree, and I'm glad to see Winder smiling. Civilian targets, erm, I mean, options in the game would definitely add even more to the environment. Cheers!

Yes, I have those fond memories, but it also brings up all the problems with the Voodoo, then Glide, graphics..they really were Voodoo.. like when you would attack the balloon and it would put too much load on the card and you would get the "zebra strip" and "Black Hole" terrain distortions, etc. And, look at that flamming balloon.. looks like a squashed muffin with puffs of flame above it.

a_zebra-1.jpga_blkhole1b.jpg

As moders we really pushed that engine to the limits.... it's simply amazing that it went on as long as it did. That's what happens when you have an immersive sim that combines all things as a cohesive whole. Its final death was trying to keep up with modern equipment, and the dated graphics.. as things looked better, it was hard to go back to RedBaron, there were no furthur improvements possible.

Here is the announcement of my On-The-Edge RedBaron 3d Snow mod.. I had done the first one for RedBaron II, then I came out with it for RB3d..sure looks dated, but at the time it was "cutting edge" terrain. :grin:

Snow3d.jpg and how many times did you fight over this river near Dunkirk?

snow3d-2.jpg

Edited by rabu

RB flashbacks!

I'm jonesin' bad for a "Target Destroyed" message now. Can ya' hook me up man? :shok:

.....a nudist colony on the shoreline??????? :grin:

Hmmm. I think MAW has already been there and done that. Not a nudist colony, but I'm sure I recall somebody topless sunbathing on a rooftop - in Rome if remember correctly. Thing is, with MAW, I can't remember if it was actually there, or just rumoured to be there. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but that's not saying much. It took me going to find the Pyramids and Mt Etna, (which definitely are there), and that's when I knew where to look. :lol:

Here is the announcement of my On-The-Edge RedBaron 3d Snow mod.. I had done the first one for RedBaron II, then I came out with it for RB3d..sure looks dated, but at the time it was "cutting edge" terrain. :grin:

I remember how much of an improvement it was over the original! The stock terrain was a blurry, nearly unrecognizable globby mess. I think this picture illustrates that pretty well.

promis11.jpg

I would like to get an old gaming rig up and running at some point. I have all of the parts, just no working IDE hard drive. You're right though, RB died when the available technology simply past it by. I occasionally look in on the old forms and there's still a dedicated group working on modding the old gal. Truthfully, even I would wonder what could be left to do by now.

Civilians? Well, I wouldn't mind to find a beautiful farmer's daughter

in her foam bubble bath, when I have made another emergency landing

and walked into the house on search for a telephone or some wine.

Oh, and Winder, as we talk about wine: could you make it a deep red Burgundy?

And her hair: could it be black? I get crazy when I see girls with black hair!

The immersion will be mind blowing...

Edited by Olham

Civilians? Well, I wouldn't mind to find a beautiful farmer's daughter

in her foam bubble bath, when I have made another emergency landing

and walked into the house on search for a telephone or some wine.

Oh, and Winder, as we talk about wine: could you make it a deep red Burgundy?

And her hair: could it be black? I get crazy when I see girls with black hair!

The immersion will be mind blowing...

Sorry Olham.. the Germans get the generic Blond/blue eyed historical, aryan women (dumb blonds), the English get the mysterious, sexy, dominering, dark haired ones. Mistress.gif What did you think that Great War was really about?

:rofl:

Edited by rabu

Rabu: Sorry Olham.. the Germans get the generic Blond/blue eyed historical, aryan women (dumb blonds),

the English get the mysterious, sexy, dominering, dark haired ones.

What did you think that Great War was really about?

Hey, what it was about indeed - forgot, that we are in France, mate?!?

We have left the blonde ones home, waiting for us, while we check out our "neighbouresses".

And, by the way: not all blondes are dumb (but it might be an advantage in "special situations").