Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Should the new MOH be banned?

Its a non issue, you switch sides everytime a game is over. One time you are the US Army, the next round you are the insurgents. I beta tested it and I didnt have any issues with it. Its a freaking game. Its multiplayer too. No one really cares, its about individual stats and if the game play is good, you can look like a sumo wrestler and no one cares. In Call of Duty World at War you can play as the German's or the Japanese, didnt hear a complaint about that from US veterans. There are more important issues to deal with (like the economy) than whats side you play on in a video game.

Its a non issue, you switch sides everytime a game is over. One time you are the US Army, the next round you are the insurgents. I beta tested it and I didnt have any issues with it. Its a freaking game. Its multiplayer too. No one really cares, its about individual stats and if the game play is good, you can look like a sumo wrestler and no one cares. In Call of Duty World at War you can play as the German's or the Japanese, didnt hear a complaint about that from US veterans. There are more important issues to deal with (like the economy) than whats side you play on in a video game.

I agree

Yes. My immediate thought echoed Dave72 that I have played many games as Germans and Japanese, as well as alien races in Halo so the only difference with the Taliban is that it is more recent. I even joined in enthusiastically in the Russian airport massacre in CoD:MW2 - hunting down helpless civilians. It's just a game. Personally I would have liked to play "6 Days In Falujah" too.

I hope no-one thinks I am making light of the war. Australia has lost quite a few servicemen in Afghanistan recently and we have all felt their loss keenly. But a game is just a game.

A game is a game is a game...

but some people do not see that they think it will corrupt the youth etc etc and then say its okay to build a mosque at ground zero stating that it is there human rights that will be corrupted... etc etc etc...

sorry not trying to get political but somedays certain groups of people infuriate me...

When I play Il-2, I'm usually flying either on the communist or Nazi side. Like other folks have said, it's a game.

QFT

So, everyone here that has qualified on an M-16 or other service rifle...you don't feel that the mouse and keyboard and/or gamepad are a fitting training tool for using an actual weapon? You don't think that one easily equates to the other, and if you're an ace shot in CoD you must obviously be sniper-level material in reality?

SHOCKING!!

I've known some people that are unable to fight for "the bad guys" in games, notably unable to fly as Japanese in WWII sims because they have some deep-seated hatred that literally predates them and comes from their parents (never grandparents, interestingly). It always struck me as missing the spirit of the sim, which is to play a game!

So, everyone here that has qualified on an M-16 or other service rifle...you don't feel that the mouse and keyboard and/or gamepad are a fitting training tool for using an actual weapon? You don't think that one easily equates to the other, and if you're an ace shot in CoD you must obviously be sniper-level material in reality?

SHOCKING!!

I've known some people that are unable to fight for "the bad guys" in games, notably unable to fly as Japanese in WWII sims because they have some deep-seated hatred that literally predates them and comes from their parents (never grandparents, interestingly). It always struck me as missing the spirit of the sim, which is to play a game!

Well it won't make me a real sniper in a day but COD4 did help me what a good sight picture should be like when shooting my AR. But it's a game.

Falcon

It's a game and IIRC it's rated M for Mature. If you have a problem with kids "learning" something from it then don't buy the game for them. Or (as parents) don't allow them to buy it.

I'm disappointed to hear of one of our MP's jumping on the FOX News bandwagon. I'm surprised at Liam Fox making these comments, its something I was more expecting to hear from New Labour or one of our wishy washy Liberals. I've read other stories about this where sites have asked real soldiers for their comments and the response has been "so what its just a game". As gamers we play a wide variety of roles including 'the bad guys' such as Nazi's etc. I took part in the beta for this game and saw no glorification made by the game to play the Taliban role. What irritates me most is that Liam Fox is our Defense Minister, there are far more important tasks for him to complete such as making sure our troops are properly equipped, have the body armour, the safe transport so if politics is soo slow this week that he has time to pontificate over these matters perhaps he could double his efforts to ensure our real soldiers are safe.

You know i posted a thread about this issue and it got deleted by the mods :dntknw:

Anyways, as many of have already stated. It is a god damn game. If you dont wanna play it then dont buy it. Thats how easy it is. This article really shows how politicians are wired these days, everything is black and white for them.

Another way to look at this is to ask, here in USA or England, would playing Japanese CFS2 or German IL-2 missions be acceptable back at the time of the WW2? Assuming home computers were around then. Granted that megawar was more keenly felt by the people back home.

How do you best multiplay online or LAN when only one side is playable? One sided play may be a deep sinkhole for the Fighter Ops sim. Anyways the largest backer of "playing the enemy" is Pentagon war game simulation on mega computers. They've stopped some simulations when they caused embarassment, so there is politics in gaming.

:yikes:

...Sometime, try asking a TheSims developer for a dedicated Strategic Air Command game. They get mad if you say "just a game" -- as do tac TheSims players on the boards. I predict a Russian developer will be the first to create a dedicated flyable SAC, with out~of~box PVO play as well, game, like Maddox first made June 1941.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

A lot of the older sims only let you play as one side. In fact, the most famous is Falcon 4 which has had a healthy online community for 12 years!

Most study sims featured just one plane, so one side was a given. Longbow, F-15, Fleet Defender, Falcon, iF-22, iF/A-18, F-22 Lightning, Comanche...I'll stop now. In fact, I remember the ruckus when Jane's F-15 came out with MP that was totally worthless...nothing but H2H, no coop, and you're in F-15Es! It would be as if Il-2 only let you fly Il-2s vs Il-2s.

Battlefield Vietnam let you play as the VC or NVA, Battlefield 2 let you play as a generic taliban equivalent.

Just a sensationalist media circus pandering to the uptight and overprotective who complain about anything that's not PC. Video games are a favorite topic, they madea huge stink about being able to have sex in Mass Effect, meanwhile that's been in nearly every bioware game. Or remember Hot Coffee? How many people bothered enabling it?

Just as an amusing aside about cultural issues in gaming - I used to be a university lecturer in communications, and we had an exchange programme with the University of Kiel in Germany. A friend of mine who lectures about interface design in gaming was delivering his standard lecture to a bunch of german students when he flips to the next powerpoint slide - which shows the CoD interface, complete with germans getting mowed down all over the screen. It was a real "Don't mention the war!" moment which was greeted by embarrassed silence by everyone. Needless to say - he moved smartly onto the next slide...

• Like 1

Just as an amusing aside about cultural issues in gaming - I used to be a university lecturer in communications, and we had an exchange programme with the University of Kiel in Germany. A friend of mine who lectures about interface design in gaming was delivering his standard lecture to a bunch of german students when he flips to the next powerpoint slide - which shows the CoD interface, complete with germans getting mowed down all over the screen. It was a real "Don't mention the war!" moment which was greeted by embarrassed silence by everyone. Needless to say - he moved smartly onto the next slide...

Hahaha...can just picture the scene! :drinks::lol:

Well, if I think how many German soldiers I have killed in MoH and CoD... :grin:

But the interesting thing is, you can play all sides in flightsims, u-boat sims and strategy games, but NEVER the German side in a WWII shooter... (only the VC in Vietcong)

You can play as the Germans in MP in many WWII shooters. Also in Red Orchestra even when playing offline.

"Just a sensationalist media circus pandering to the uptight and overprotective who complain about anything that's not PC"

It seems that it's hardly liberally minded people who are complaining - Fox is an arch Tory. I suspect that this is more to do with sucking up to the exactly the sort of people who are quick to howl "Pee Cee gorn maaad!!!" in most other circumstances. I'm told that Briddish troops don't even make an appearance in the game...

So, in summary. It's a new game + August is a slow news month + Liam Fox is a publicity seeking git with the IQ of a grapefruit = news report.

So, in summary. It's a new game + August is a slow news month + Liam Fox is a publicity seeking git with the IQ of a grapefruit = news report.

Math everyone can understand! Bravo my friend, hit the nail right on the head.

Yep, agree with that, and furthermore it's not like the game is likely to radicalize anyone just because they play as Talibanies, it's almost hypocritical that the same (insert correct nomenclature here as liberals just sounds illogical) who wan't to ban this are the ones who give rights to radicals that preach hate against the west.......surely it's a very PC notion to alow both sides to give account for themselves?

I think the summer heat is getting to the media a bit. Wait till mid fall. Once the temperatures cool down, they'll be focusing more on how the gas prices have gotten higher, global warming (odd that they don't focus on that when things get hot, only when things get cool), and Mel Gibson.