Sign in to follow this  
Selfpropelled

OFF on Mac with Windows 7?

I hope that this question is in the right place. I have just ordered a Macbook Pro, just bought the MSFT game that OFF is built on, and I would like to order OFF, but of course only if it will work with Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Does anyone here play the game that way? I canot tell from cruising the forum posts here. I imagine the answer is the same for all MacBook Pros, but if not, mine will have 4 GB memory, 2.4 dual core processor, and an Nvidia 320M (256 MB). I could buy XP rather than Windows 7, but that seems pointless, given the ticking clock of MS support.

You need "Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3" for PC, not sure what "MSFT" is.

We have never tested it on MAC so cannot say either way. Hopefully someone here has otherwise you'd be gambling a bit I guess. It runs on Windows 7 on PC, but no idea on MAC.

I have a dual boot gaming PC, XP SP3 and Win7 64bit, and I do know that my OFF runs about 33% faster on Win7 64 (XP SP3 compatability) versus my XP SP3 side. I was so supprised by the performance difference between to two systems, that I play OFF exclusively on the Win7 side now.

When Phase III was released there was no such thing as Windows 7, as it is . . it must be run in capatability mode for XP

Hmmmm.....that's odd. I can run it in both Win7 32-bit and 64-bit without using any compatibility modes at all. Maybe I'm just special....

Wether or not it'll run on a bootcamped partition with Windows is entirely another question. My guess is if you can get CFS3 for PC installed and working in that environment, you should be able to get OFF to run as well. How well it would run is anyone's guess though....

Cheers,

Parky

Thanks for the responses. I will probably buy OFF and hope that it works . . . unless you think that 256MB and an Nvidia 320M are inadequate. OFF is available only through the mails, right? Not major retailers?

An aside: MSFT is the stock symbol of Microsoft. I typed that rather than "CFS3" since I was having a mind lockup on the actual game name. Never played it.

Parky:

My OFF will play on Win7 64 without the XP SP3 compatability mode, but putting it on compatability mode stops the little "glitches" like occasional white screens or occasional "black" screen flickers. When I enabled the XP SP3 compatability, all those small things went away and it plays fantastic now. :drinks:

Parky:

My OFF will play on Win7 64 without the XP SP3 compatability mode, but putting it on compatability mode stops the little "glitches" like occasional white screens or occasional "black" screen flickers. When I enabled the XP SP3 compatability, all those small things went away and it plays fantastic now. :drinks:

Thanks for that bit of info, Red.

I'll have to give compatibility mode a whirl and let you know if I can detect any difference on my systems. The only real problems I've encountered was with the ATI card (Sapphire 5970) in Win7 64-bit. Was seeing some black terrain tiles once in a while, but since updating to the 10.6 drivers I haven't experienced the same glitch. I do have to use D3D Overrider in order to get V-Sync working, but other than that, the game runs quite nicely. It also runs pretty flawlessly on my older system with Win7 32-Bit and an XFX GTX280/OC with the latest Nvidia drivers.....basically no issues. Can't hurt to run a test though, and your findings my help someone else out if they're seeing oddities or hurting for performance. I'll let you know how it goes at my end.

Thanks again,

Parky

Parky:

I to have ATI cards (Crossfire 4890's) and the "compatability mode" did not solve the black/white/colored terrain tiles. The additional memory that Win7 uses helped that. Even on Win7. if I crank up the terrain sliders to much, I will see the odd tiles. The flickers and white screens that I was talking about occured during the menus screens before and after your flight.

Edited by Panama Red

If OFF will run on a PC with similar specs and Windows 7, then it will run on the MBP through bootcamp as well. I do all my gaming on my MacBook using Bootcamp and XP, but I've never played OFF. Once you partition the hard drive and install Win7 (using bootcamp) it just like any other (PC) laptop with an intel chip and Nvidia graphics.

Best of luck. I've run WoX, SF2, F4AF, Janes F/A-18, EECH, IL-2 1946, FS9, etc... with no (Mac related) issues.

uncleal:

That is exactly why I use "3" for my terrain settings. I can use "4", but then it starts with the occasional "weird" terrain tile, so I keep it at "3" and I have zero problems. :grin:

I hope that this question is in the right place. I have just ordered a Macbook Pro, just bought the MSFT game that OFF is built on, and I would like to order OFF, but of course only if it will work with Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Does anyone here play the game that way? I canot tell from cruising the forum posts here. I imagine the answer is the same for all MacBook Pros, but if not, mine will have 4 GB memory, 2.4 dual core processor, and an Nvidia 320M (256 MB). I could buy XP rather than Windows 7, but that seems pointless, given the ticking clock of MS support.

I recently upgraded my work-horse and migrated my flight siming to this and am successfully running OFF on a 1st generation MacPro (2 x 3ghz Dual core Intel Xeon) under bootcamp with windows 7 and it purrrrrs like a kitten. I running an ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 6gb of Ram everything on high and have not had any problems. Your only bottleneck might be the video card. Hope this helps.

Do yourself a very big favor, roll back that Terrain Slider to 4, as that's the Maximum. To eliminate the possibility of any unexplainable video anomilies down the road. There ain't a computer built today, that can use Terrian on 5 for long. It might look great now, but the human eye can't detect the difference between 5 & 4 anyway.

OR . . . you could wait until the strange schitt appears, then just roll back to 4 . . Whatever . . . It's Yours

Hey Uncleal,

I followed the FAQ's and the Terrain slider is set to 4. I had to redo the whole installation as I wanted a clean install so I followed all the Instructions listed in the FAQ with regards to slider values and ATI settings. It's all working great. A little reading goes a long way. :pilotfly: