Sign in to follow this  
streakeagle

Modder Challenge: towed gunnery banner

I am looking at the possibility of making some "training missions" for the SF2 series and was using an old board game scenario book for ideas. One of the missions was to simply shoot at a gunnery banner as well as possible without shooting or colliding with the towing aircraft. It would be difficult to model a banner being flexible (i.e. bends when turning), but I would think a banner could be part of an aircraft's 3d model. Would I be wrong to think that it could consist of multiple meshes such that there would be separate damage textures for each section allowing review of where it had been hit? If it could be modeled as a pod that could be attached to any aircraft and still keep the multiple meshes for registering damage, that would be even better. Just a little something to think about. Ground targets in the form of gunnery bullseyes with multiple damage textures would be cool too.

fixed gunnery targets (albeit without damage textures and the like) have been on The Range Terrain from it's initial release. But, as they'r fixed, static Terrain Objects (don' think they're part of a TOD, but can't check without the TOD inis...), creating and assignging a damaged lod, destroyed lod would just be a matter of building one, and calling them out in the terrain's _types ini

Modeling a towed banner would be an interesting excersize ... I wonder if it could be animated, like the terrain flags we have? They're blowing in the wind...

wrench

kevin stein

I have an idea....

FC

Now that scares the crap outta me :frantic:

I have an idea....

FC

TT.Mk20? :grin:

I am pretty sure a towed target can be done in some fashion, just a matter of the best way to do it.

I am well aware of the range, but I haven't ever seen a target that looks like a sheet with bullet holes ripped through it.

I have seen footage of both types of engagements and think it would be cool if the same visuals were present in the game.

Northest corner, there is a tower betwixt a half dozen or so, off the top of my head.

It is just north of the area with circles for a SCUD missile target, et. all.

If you hit them, they do change to pitted, blackened targets. Been a staple of mine for test hops for years...

first i wish to state i am not a modder! however looking at how the Gen 2 aircraft work and thinking on ini edits what if you were to make a tank(the reel pod actually on the pylon) set it to release upon firing out to say 900 ft then ini edit the target itself to be very armoredso its not instantly destroyed? or somehow have the target be a red aircraft flying in formation with the tow aircraft? just some thoughts one the matter.

Well, the F/A-18E/F models have a built-in towed decoy, which has an animation assigned.

Not sure how it's done, but same way a towed banner could be made.

I did a banner towed by the tiger moth a while back....the banner was a mesh in 3ds max attached to the moth model...but you could add the banner as a weapon on an invisible pylon...all you need is an attachment point then

will show u what I mean after this...

Edited by russouk2004

got this but no idea how to animate it moving lie a flag...ideas?..if anyone wants the model etc...just ask and I ll post link..I just used F3 tank and replaced lod...to test...but it can be added as a weap or pilot etc...but must start in air...lol...hawsers could be longer but its only for testing...

banner.jpg

Edited by russouk2004

First, to do it the way SE would like, it would HAVE to be part of the aircraft model, otherwise you will not be able to have sections to be destroyed...it would be either all or nothing.

In addition, you couldn't have it 'flap' in the windstream unless it is part of the model.

I have a way to do that, but I have to think about and test it first before I let y'all know how it works...

FC

I am well aware of the range, but I haven't ever seen a target that looks like a sheet with bullet holes ripped through it.

The existing gunnery targets on the range have always had a damage model/texture. They currently use the same model for "DamagedModel" & "DestroyedModel", but with a little paint and .lod editing, we could have two different damage models.

post-2166-055498600 1283305637.jpg

Edited by JSF_Aggie