Sign in to follow this  
PD-1

This will open a can of Worms

Rhumors abound......AAA forume says were in for a very very BIG surprise....and thats all they would say...

The merge in my view would be sheer heaven....especially for multi play....please do not misread this post for

i am not shooting down this sim.....just truthfully commenting that the il-2 engine would be the greatest thing that

you could wish for....for both on and O.F.F. line...

Truth or Fiction .........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

PD

Rhumors abound......AAA forume says were in for a very very BIG surprise....and thats all they would say...

The merge in my view would be sheer heaven....especially for multi play....please do not misread this post for

i am not shooting down this sim.....just truthfully commenting that the il-2 engine would be the greatest thing that

you could wish for....for both on and O.F.F. line...

Truth or Fiction .........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

PD

That vague rumour sounds something like this:

Edited by BirdDogICT

It doesn't make sense. The license, everything... nope, I don't believe

EDIT: Isn't the AllAircraftArcade forums closed?

Edited by Von Paulus

PD-1, I don't see how that could be done as CFS3 and IL 2 are entirely different engines. Also, IIRC the DGEN in IL 2 would not lend itself to the WWI environment without an entire rebuild. I would put this in the same catagory as the "Smell of Victory" add-on.

Large load of tripe, anyone?

PD-1, I don't see how that could be done as CFS3 and IL 2 are entirely different engines. Also, IIRC the DGEN in IL 2 would not lend itself to the WWI environment without an entire rebuild. I would put this in the same catagory as the "Smell of Victory" add-on.

Large load of tripe, anyone?

Hello PD - Hi guys,

Fiction....

WM

Hey there Winder,

Thanks for the reply.... i will try and locate the post [as i never personelly seen it] and tell them its all hogwash.....

PD

Thank God it's not true.

Thank God it's not true.

Any particular reason you feel that way?? What if Winder was to announce that OBD had agreed to a merger with Rise of Flight and the goal was to incorporate BHH's historically correct campaign, it's flyable aircraft and their skins and all those other goodies into RoFs engine/flightmodel/damage-modelling system. How would you you feel about that?? It's never going to happen, but I know how I'd feel about it.......however, I'll leave that to your imagination.

(Now THAT ought to open up a can of......something.....lol)

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Interesting rumour. Thanks PD for the info. As far as whatever OBD does I've drank the Kool-Aid and I have complete faith in Winder and the rest. I only want to encourage OBD to keep at it, P4, as time and energy allows. Any merger or new engine would have to meet OBD's extremely high standards so as to deliver an outstanding product. Thanks Winder for clearing up this particular rumor.

I'm with Rickitycrate, but I heard the rumor the merger was OFF was to use a combination of the Lego: Star Wars and Wolfenstien engines. Breaking new ground, OBD will be the first to market with flying WWI NAZI Lego Zombies. Please place your orders now as we expect this to sell-out fast! :grin:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Hello PD - Hi guys,

Fiction....

WM

Thank god!

Any particular reason you feel that way?? What if Winder was to announce that OBD had agreed to a merger with Rise of Flight and the goal was to incorporate BHH's historically correct campaign, it's flyable aircraft and their skins and all those other goodies into RoFs engine/flightmodel/damage-modelling system. How would you you feel about that?? It's never going to happen, but I know how I'd feel about it.......however, I'll leave that to your imagination.

Cheers,

Parky

At first it would seem to be a great idea, but in reality it probably would yield a problematic game. With game design (or perhaps any design), the larger the committee designing and running the product, the more compromises that have to be made. I'm talking partly about the people doing the work, but I'm mainly talking about leadership decisions. The more people you involve, the more input there is. In theory this yields a better product (and sometimes it actually does), but often the product actually comes out in an inferior form because they try to go in too many directions and make too many compromises. A mix of people making the game is generally good, but many times too many cooks ruin the soup.

true Sir Mike,

but Winder has complete control of the kitchen.....

Hey there Widowmaker,

it would be a godsend for the multiplayer crowd....

nothing can touch this for offline where i assume the majority of people are....

so each to his own....may everyone have the time of their life no matter what sim they are useing....

PD

You are very right PD and I've been keeping an enthusiastic eye on CK. My schedule is in flux so I can't dependably be part of an organized group but if If could catch a half hour online flying at my convenience that would be great. Seeing the developement of CK on their forum and the time and work and dedication involved it is astonishing , IMHO, that any of these WWI sims come to fruition. That is in large part why I have such high regard for the OBD team and will forever grateful to our guys here.

true Sir Mike,

but Winder has complete control of the kitchen.....

That's true of OBD and that's part of why OFF is good-- the team seems to work well together. When you get mergers the leader of the other team often wants some kind of concession. This can be good or can be bad. I'm apt to believe in enthusiasts that it's good, but am apt to think in the case of a purely corporate individual, bad. A fellow enthusiast would understand the concerns of the players, whereas if it were a more corporate entity purely concerned with the game as business, then it probably would hinder production. We saw this recently when MS made the money-based decision (and that's what they do, they're a business) to can their flight sim production team. The enthusiast side, if you ask me, actually produces a stronger product.

That's part of why I like OFF so much and also I think why Canvas Knights could end up being an excellent game in its own right. It's about the presence of people who like this stuff and want to get it right, for the sake of having a proper game. It's when you get production budgets and timetables governing that you get lower products. RBII was an example where a strong production team was cut off by corporate constraints. Just compare RBII/3d out of the box to the enthusiast-produced mod versions of it.

OvS will testify as to that too.

I don't have the IL games but depending on the release and quality of Canvas Knights, I might pick it up solely for the WW1 side it would have to offer.

Edited by SirMike1983

I don't have the IL games but depending on the release and quality of Canvas Knights, I might pick it up solely for the WW1 side it would have to offer.

I DO have the IL games, and am looking forward to Canvas Knights release, but like most BHaH/HiTR users, am not enamored with the poor AI and poor mission development of the IL products, despite the ability to play online. I have supported Oleg from the beginning by buying his products, and admit that it is one of the best WW2 games in town, CFS3 included, but don't care a hoot for inline play. If new mods can add value to my WWI experience beyond what BHaH/HitR can offer, WooHoo!! Everyone wins.

Interestingly enough, here's a direct quote from some chap (Jason) over at RoF. It more or less expresses his attitude with regard to the smaller flight-sim/combat flight-sim development community in general...

"What we need is support from the community at large, no matter who your favorite developer is or what you like or don’t like about our products, ALL flight sims (assuming the product works halfway okay) deserve your support. The number of serious sim developers can be counted on one hand. The big publishers don’t give a rip about flight sims and the big retailers really don’t care either. This community is small enough to where we need to support each other. Combat flight sims are the most difficult kind of PC title to make, and it enjoys the smallest market share, the math doesn’t add up does it? Be kind to your fellow simmer and sim maker, the sim you save may just be your favorite."

Frankly, I think it's an attitude that could be of benefit to everyone.....developers, modders, enthusuiasts in general, and end-users alike. Admirable to say the least...

Cheers,

Parky

monte cristo were the only game in town for city sims (as EA had previously dropped the ball). Their system was where you paid a monthly subscription fee to get content that should have been included with the retail version, made you login every time to play offline, and only made additions to the game themselves. (a familiar business model) they eventually went bust, and rightly so.

myst online, went offline pretty quickly too.

In any case any failure of the business model, development, board and project managment is always covered in press releases with the phrase "inadequate subscription uptake"

I wish the business worked like that parky, but it doesn't. The industry functions better if gamers support the games they like and don't feel obligated to hold up the ones they don't. The good companies succeed and the bad ones eventually fail. As harsh a reality as that is, as unfair as it seems, that's how it's meant to be.

Yes, combat flight simulators are a niche in a market (PC Gaming) which is becoming smaller.

I try to support most, because in the end, we must preserve what seems to be an endangered specie.

And 2009/2010 wasn't a bad year for the genre.

OFF phase3, OFF's expansion HiTR, RoF, First Eagles 2 and Wings of Prey. With a bit of luck we'll see SoW:BoB this year.

This was a great year, only not for my wallet.

Cheers to all those developers. :drinks:

Cheers,

Parky

Hi, Parky,

I feel the way I stated because, respectfully, I was unimpressed with CK as it had been presented. I found the models visually South Park-ish and containing several errors. For instance, on many different airplanes I noticed what appeared to be exhaust stains coming from rotary engine carburetor air intakes. When I asked what they were the devs explained they were exhaust stains because the rotary engines burned a lot of oil. It took them a while to believe me that rotary exhaust vented straight out of the cylinders and not through a carburetor air intake. I know everybody can't know everything--I'm daily proof of this--but that's pretty basic stuff to know for folks making/skinning airplanes for a flight sim. So, there's one particular reason for you; I'll save the rest because I don't want to rag CK. I'll just state again that I'm glad CK and OFF will remain separate.

Regarding your what-if scenario, I wouldn't mind it at all. I like many aspects of both sims.

And 2009/2010 wasn't a bad year for the genre.

OFF phase3, OFF's expansion HiTR, RoF, First Eagles 2 and Wings of Prey. With a bit of luck we'll see SoW:BoB this year.

This was a great year, only not for my wallet.

Cheers to all those developers. :drinks:

Not to mention Flaming Cliffs 2, BOBII update 2.11, and new study sims from smaller shops like A2A and VRS. I try to support them all, despite never having enough time to fly their products.