Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

SE5 Lewis Gun

This may seem a silly question but I've tried all sorts. Although I've tried many different aircraft since I got OFF, I keep coming back to my favourite, the SE5. After all this time I'm still unable to operate the Lewis gun. Is this possible?. I've tried selecting next weapon but just get "ordinance not available. The keys for loading the top gun work but once loaded I can't use it. Up 'till now I've managed without it but would like now to explore its possibilities.

Am I missing something?

This may seem a silly question but I've tried all sorts. Although I've tried many different aircraft since I got OFF, I keep coming back to my favourite, the SE5. After all this time I'm still unable to operate the Lewis gun. Is this possible?. I've tried selecting next weapon but just get "ordinance not available. The keys for loading the top gun work but once loaded I can't use it. Up 'till now I've managed without it but would like now to explore its possibilities.

Am I missing something?

Tranquillo,

Because of the limitations of CFS3 when you pull the trigger to fire the guns, all of the guns are fired at the same time, if you listen when you fire the guns on the SE5 or SE5A and then fly anoother british aircraft (sopwith camel for instance) and fire the guns on that you will notice that the sound is different. This is because the devs have on the SE5 or SE5A modelled the sound of both the vickers and lewis guns being fired simultaneously.

Because of the aforementioned CFS3 limitations it is not possible to "pull" the lewis gun down the foster mounting and fire upwards with it or to reload it.

I hope this was a sitisfactory explanation.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Tranquillo,

Because of the limitations of CFS3 when you pull the trigger to fire the guns, all of the guns are fired at the same time, if you listen when you fire the guns on the SE5 or SE5A and then fly anoother british aircraft (sopwith camel for instance) and fire the guns on that you will notice that the sound is different. This is because the devs have on the SE5 or SE5A modelled the sound of both the vickers and lewis guns being fired simultaneously.

Because of the aforementioned CFS3 limitations it is not possible to "pull" the lewis gun down the foster mounting and fire upwards with it or to reload it.

I hope this was a sitisfactory explanation.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

That was a more than satisfactory explanation. Thank you. I'll buy you a beer in the mess :drinks: next time you're there.

There IS a method to fire the guns independantly, but it's not used in OFF, it's an unused CFS3 command

Fire all guns = Spacebar

Fire only Machine Guns = Shift+Spacebar

Fire only Cannons = Control+Spacebar

Which is which . . Got Me ???

Only use I can forsee, would be having one gun mechanicaly out of action. You'd still have the other . . .Theoretically anyway :heat:

Cannons............now there's an idea:minigun::minigun::minigun:

If'n I remember correctly from my initial install of OFF1 the way the guns worked on the SE5 (before I reset it to fire all) was the trigger fired the Vickers and another button on the joystick fired the Lewis. I have been tempted at times to go back to this, to use the guns independently and conserve ammunition.

Beard

Didn't the SPAD 13 have a modification with a cannon through the prop shaft? I read somewhere about cannons mounted I think in DH4's rigged to fire upwards in an attempt to shoot zepplins.................

If'n I remember correctly from my initial install of OFF1 the way the guns worked on the SE5 (before I reset it to fire all) was the trigger fired the Vickers and another button on the joystick fired the Lewis. I have been tempted at times to go back to this, to use the guns independently and conserve ammunition.

Beard

That sounds like a plan, Beard. I might give that a go. Do you think that's still an option in P3?

Even if it is, you're losing the destructive power of an SE5, in order that theoreticaly you'll have more bullets to bring too your own funeral. That why it was used for so-many kills, the twin guns make a rather powerful impacts on the Target

Your loadout is rather easily stretched to five targets. Provided you Know how to shoot

If you miss with two guns, what makes you think you'll hit with one ?

Uncleal,

I think it's more a case of conserving the limited ammunition and bringing the Lewis to bear once the Vickers starts scoring hits. Like cannon-armed fighters really, you don't fire the cannons until you see the strikes from the machine guns.

Vasco :pilotfly:

I just thought it'd be a great way to attack those pesky 2 seaters - from underneath. They'd have to wear tin hats on their backsides.

Edited by tranquillo

I've never tried to fire the Lewis when it is in the reload position, wonder if you can?

Beard