• 2 kills per mission
    • 3 kills per mission
  4. 4. Flying a British or French Scout with 2 guns

• 1 kill per 2 missions
    • 1 kill per mission
    • 2 kills per mission
    • 3 kills per mission

Guest British_eh

Hi there, the more the merrier as it would be interesting to see how many of you are getting your fill, so to speak.

It would be more accurate if you were to only provide data gathered from your Campaign rather than Quick Combat missions.

Victories don’t have to be confirmed, but please consider all numbers that you would file in a Claim, not confirmed,per mission. If you average more than 3, just put the number as 3. If less than 1 per two missions, then just use that selection. I am looking for what you average per mission. The more missions that you could derive the info from, the more accurate the poll will be.

You could at maximum include 4 pilots then as there are 4 categories.

Perhaps knowing Speedski’s record, he could just reply to this blog, rather than adding his numbers to the Poll, which would surely skew the data……………LOL

Thanks so much,

British_eh

Since I use Creaghorn's new tracers and tracer smoke effect, the killing got less for me,

which is good, cause it's much more realistic now.

Still though, 2 kills per mission is more than I should achieve in a real fight in a real plane.

But the new effects do make it harder to know, when you hit, and thereby reduce kills.

I recommend them to all, who want it more realistic.

Thanks Olham. Will load that..... Am also looking at reducing my ammo (was mentioned in another thread) by maybe 50% to increase the challenge.

Try the new tracers, Sir, and you will find the chalenge increased a lot.

No need to reduce ammo - you may need it all.

Here is Creaghorn's stuff:

http://combatace.com...dd-on-software/

Make sure you also get the improved trailersmoke.

There will be a text advice with each file.

Edited by Olham

For a real challenge you could use Night Vision Goggles!

Just remember as discussed before we have no G forces, no freezing winds in the face, no 1 real life at stake, we also do have 1000s of hours of flying practice and experience (real or sim) rather than the poor sods with 6-8 hours flying so tricky to judge kill numbers as always...

Apart from the obvious that Pol has stated - that we can never die in a sim and its a sim - I am still confused!

How are you factoring in each players settings into all this - and if you do, the Matrix above becomes rather a bit larger?

WM

as i said before, i think AI in p4 will be improved and will have more sense for survival, which would be a HUGHE step towards realism. but to make the simmer have more of a feeling to take care about his alter ego, there should be an option to have a realistic PITA when creating a new campaignpilot. a pilots carreer starts in flightschool, not at the front. so why not (if possible) have an option where one has to go through flightschool and earn the wings and then going to the front. if somebody loses easily his pilot, he has to do the whole procedure again. maybe some unhistorical airfield somewhere with a flightschool squadron, where a pilot has to do some missions, reach waypoints, make dead stick landings on certain spots, have dummy dogfights, landings at open fields etc. and doing that till one has a certain amount of flying hours (maybe dependable of which country and what period of time you are flying for. germany more hours to pass, brits rather less etc.)

maybe have different flyschool mission version for twoseater pilots and for scout pilots.

and then maybe also have an on/off option where you automatically, after passing the "exams" get transferred to a squadron which is randomly generated. so you don't know in which squadron you'll end as a rookie. :good:

sorry for going offtopic a bit.

Creaghorn, I have done precisely as you've outlined with some of my Allied pilot campaigns, and it serves to give you a much greater investment in your virtual self. It would be excellent if this feature could be brought into OFF as a pick option when setting up a new campaign.

As to the poll, I answered based on how I fly in the campaigns and picked the "1 kill in 2 missions" choice for all catagories, though it really tends to be closer to 1 kill in 3-to-4 missions when I am flying to survive.

Sorry can you change the options please - with invincible on, unlimited ammo and strongest bullets I am getting many more kills per mission than three....closer to 15.....

I am at a loss as to the purpose of this poll....

WM

Winder: I am at a loss as to the purpose of this poll....

I simply assumed, that British_eh only wanted to know, how many kills everyone else makes per sortie.

That's why I clicked my results.

But you are of course absolutely right: with all the different possible choices of settings in workshop,

it would need to be written down more exact.

Edited by Olham

I have been left out of the options.

No score low enough for me.

Hopefully P4 does not get any harder or I may never get off the ground.

Cheers MarkL

markl and everyone else who feels like this: you can adjust many things in "Workshop" to make it easier.

Many of us have started with P1 or P2, and in both versions it was much easier than in P3 with full realism settings.

So we had a lot of practise, when we started P3.

Still, I found it very hard in the beginning.

But that is so very great about "Over Flanders Fields" - that you can make tons of individual adjustments.

And when you get too good for what you had set, you just "tune" it a bit harder.

Until you get to the full hard way.

I recommend this to everyone, who gets frustrated too often:

- use the Labels, TAC etc. to just get started and to get a feeling for the whole difficult flying and fighting

- switch off wind, switch down Flak etc., to learn flying and orientation in the air.

No need to be ashamed - the real life pilots had training before (well, not too much for the British).

You WILL reach the point, where you WANT to do it the hard way. Grow there - without anger.

Edited by Olham

I suspect that I'm on the low side - I now have about 20% hit accuracy of late, and therefore I should be able to dive into more fights with increased confidence. But I don't. I avoid trouble unless there is no other option, and then I get out as fast as possible. I fly the mission as best I can, and never assume that the group I can see on the TAC are the only enemy aircraft around. So i hang off and hang off - and usually this is vindicated by the arrival of more enemy planes. But the point is, I don't seek out trouble, and that is probably the mindset of 99% of real life WWI flyers.

Hence, my most recent pilot has about 50 hours and 60 missions over about 15 months, but a mere 8 or so kills - hardly the stuff of derring do, eh? However, that would have been a very respectable performance in the war. If your aim is survival, I suspect you'll end up with vaguely similar methods and statistics.

Sounds like you are able to fly like Creaghorn - as if you were really there, with your mortal body.

I like that attitude and often wished I could do it like that.

But still I find me doing things I wouldn't have risked in the real war.

15 months is your big achievement, and 8 kills are great.

Much greater than having 36 kills in a month and then get killed, IMHO.

Edited by Olham

Guest British_eh

Hi there Winder and Pol,and OFF enthusiasts,

I just wanted to get a feel for the number of "Victories" that the players are getting. You are correct, there are far to many variables with settings, and weather, and aircraft, and time frame,......................etc.

So, it's nothing scientific, but just a precursor to a new Standard that we look to introduce, as an alternate to DiD :).

Thanks to the OBD OFF Team for the flexibility you have provided in the Workshop Settings, so that we can recommend RSS.

Thanks to all who commented and participated.

Cheers,

British_eh