Sign in to follow this  
bruceD

Squadron Scramble

Had my first scramble today, in the middle of a raging blizzard. Got my Sopwith Tripe up ok, however the wind was blowing so hard I almost wrote it off immediately. I managed to get 2 kills before I saw something off in the distance by itself. It was strangely painted all red. I managed to catch up to it while it downed one of my squad mates. I was so angry I sprayed bullets everywhere until I managed to put a few into this red aircraft. I'm pretty sure it was Von Richthofen himself, but he veered away before I had a chance to really do any real damage. It was then I actually realized who we had been attacked by. I don't know how many were lost, but what i do remember is seeing all the wrecked aircraft burning on the ground. It makes one think how fragile and frail these machines we go up in.

A good reason to fly British side - to encounter the Red Baron. Must enlist one there again.

Do you remember the time of year and approximate location? I once encountered him but it was before the HITR expansion and have looked since . I believe I was flying for Esc 3 and it was the spring of 1917? But it could have been earlier

Thats interesting about the fuel tank, I was flying two nights ago and had a quick mission with a DR1 and he literally shot my lower left wing off. I managed to escape and was flying back to my aerodrome when on approach the engine just stopped. needless to say I tried to make a deadstick landing, but went cartwheeling across the runway.

I'll check on squadron and location, but I don't have the Hat in the ring expansion installed, but I thought it was farnh or Furnh location, but I did notice the german aircarft were vividly colored with purples and reds and greens, especially when the few I did shoot down were burning on the ground.. Bloody marvelous !

All I can say is that red aircraft could fly very well, he actually managed a barrel roll, and a pretty good hammerhead, which really through me off and he managed to get a few good shots on me as well, but I had more speed and got out quick. I put in for 3 kills, but the wingman I used for a witness was killed, so probably no kills.

Lots of fun though, because I actaully knew where the enemy was for a change... everywhere !

Probably Furnes airfield?

Furnes Airfield thats the one, I'll let you know the squadron tonight. Thats amazing all that info, I did read that thread you put up about it, its theres so much to take in all at once.Funny quick story, the first time I took off I noticed very little info, so I started going through that printout of all the key functions, while still flying.

Well If texting and being on the phone is bad, while still on the ground driving around. Then trying to read a manual while flying a WW1 aircraft is a much worse idea.

Needless to say I didn't see the trees ahead of me... or " I say dear chap, didn't notice those trees there before !" Closest thing I can think of is the German in Those Magnificent men in There Flying Machines who tries to learn from the manual as well. It is true"They go uppity up up.. and they go down diddlly down down" Indeed !

Thanks for all that info, all I need to do now is suck it all in. Still can't believe I encountered the old Baron himself, and survived to tell the tale. Well after 22 days in hospital !

Still can't believe I encountered the old Baron himself, and survived to tell the tale. Well after 22 days in hospital !

Much luckier than Lanoe Hawker and so many others.

Oh, and Gert Fröbe in "The Magnificent Men..." was marvellous! What an actor!

Furnes Airfield with 10 RNAS Squadron. So far its an elite squadron, figured the more aces around the better chance I'll have to survive. Just finshed a ground attack mission, got damaged then spent 10 harrowing minutes running away to my own lines. I flew over as many friendly fields as I could, but the huns filled me with many , many holes. Finally managed to land at a friendly airfield, and managed to pry my shaking sweaty hand off the joystick, and took a large breathe. As i looked into the air I could see the german aircraft that had been filling my kite with holes flying off, hoping I could get another crack at them at a much later time.

The advantage of flying with an elite unit is the quality of your wingmen. Make use of it.

I have a pilot with Jasta 11 (von Richthofen's Staffel), and he hardly ever gets in real danger.

MvR is leading us to high altitudes, and he doesn't take risks.

My wingmen react on each command immediately.

I use the "Attack" command in combination with a marked target to make them destroy a particular enemy.

And I always press the "Help" command every now and then, to make sure, my personal wingman will

follow me and keep my six clear. In elite units, all this works wonderfully.

Congratulations on getting back in one piece! Scramble missions are the worst of a bad lot of choices. My stomach usually drops to the floor when I see we're being attacked. As a German pilot, you usually have a fighting chance. But flying these fragile, one gun, British and French kites makes for an unnerving experience. These missions inevitably end with the player landing a completely shot up wreck of a plane - if he even lands at all.

I have a 94th Aero career going (among my others) and we had a scramble where I took nasty damage (Spad XIII's low speed handling is less than optimal against D.VIIs). But interestingly the next mission was a "revenge" mission where we made an attack on an enemy airdrome that seemed to house the same set of D.VIIs that attacked us (same color scheme and squad).

I really liked that turn, even if it was random.

• Like 1

Ah, the 94th Aero! I have been there (for a short time, until a Jasta 18 ace shot me down).

Were those Fokkers red and white, perhaps? Cause that's Jasta 18 - a very good lot!"

As for the flying of a SPAD: never bank hard and fly slow! The kite flies like a racing truck -

fast and strong, but difficult to handle in slow motion.

Edited by Olham

I'd say, in answer to the OP - don't fly scrambles unless you're feeling very brave indeed.

I've done it a couple of times in a BE2c, but it's either been through madness or overconfidence, given that Fokker Eindeckers, as modelled in OFF, don't seem to attack two seaters with the gusto that they do single seaters. Also, EIIIs are absolute rubbish at low altitude, so if you can get a few mates to take off, then you might just be able to slot one or two of them...!

Any road up; it's a dirty and uncertain business. The very best advice is to sit there and watch your Archie and/or AA machine guns decimate your attackers, and then decide it you fancy giving chase. Yes, it's cowardly, but how on Earth do you think you'll be able to achieve 50+ kills unless you pick upon the wounded and defenceless.....?

Cheers,

Si

I love scrambles! (I must be mad!)

I made my highest scores in scrambles - somehow I seem to always find the right way.

Very often, I'm getting away from the immediate attack, return, and give them some.

In Albatros types that is, of course not in Eindeckers. God beware!

Ah, the 94th Aero! I have been there (for a short time, until a Jasta 18 ace shot me down).

Were those Fokkers red and white, perhaps? Cause that's Jasta 18 - a very good lot!"

As for the flying of a SPAD: never bank hard and fly slow! The kite flies like a racing truck -

fast and strong, but difficult to handle in slow motion.

That's true-- high wing loading and thin wings make it more an energy fighter than a turning fighter. Though the interesting thing is that it actually is a good turn fighter if you use vertical up and down zooming in the turns (especially with the XIII). The extra energy when you vary the turn in the vertical adds a lot. But down low you can't really get to do that, so it's opportunity targets, snap shots and hit n' run.

All it takes it a scramble to remind me how much I miss the Nieuport.

Isn't the top end on a SPAD around 135 mph? In level flight of course. I think my Sopwith Tripe did 168 in a dive once, but it sounded like the whole crate was about to fall to bits.I think top speed level flight with the Tripe is around 110, but seems to cruise best around 90 .

SirMike, on the next scramble, you could fly away climbing steeply with the SPAD,

until you get enough height and distance to the enemies. Then return and fight it

out the way a SPAD likes. I would always prefer the SPAD before the Nieuport,

which is so fragile. But well, I come from the Albatros...

On the rare occasion that I actually fly a scramble I use your method Olham. I immediately turn and climb away to gain alt, then come around and dive into the fight, and try to keep my height advantage as I do me best to clear the skies. More often than not I will take enough damage that I have to force land on the field, but I don't end up dead at least. The scramble missions are very unrealistic from an historic standpoint. When an airfield was attacked the pilots did not attempt to take off but instead dove for cover in a nearby trench or bomb shelter, then headed out after the enemy once the attack was over. In real life trying to get your plane off the ground whilest being bombed and/or strafed would most certainly be a one-way ticket to the Sweet By and By.

The scramble missions are very unrealistic from an historic standpoint.

Yes, surely. I like to regard them as surprise attacks during a normal takeoff for a patrol.

Although, on clear days, I don't think they ever got surprised like that.

They seem to have got good info from the lines, and they also used good glasses to check

their surroundings.

Edited by Olham