Sign in to follow this  

I am running Series 1 Strike Fighters Project 1 and trying to create some customized missions.  The editor I am using is Le Missionneur 2006.  I went to set up the clouds altitude and have found that the altitude is always the same at around 10,000 feet no matter what I put into the "Clouds Starting Altitude" box.  Could someone shed some light on this problem I am having? Thanks!

Hi Padfoot,

I can of some help at that I think.  Do you know how to get the ENVIRONMENT.INI file.  It's inside the .CAB file. The name is FLIGHT.CAT inside the flight folder.  Extract the ENVIRONMENT.INI file and check out the section

[CloudsBroken]

MaxClouds=56
MaxCloudParticles=110
3DCloudMaterial=CloudMaterial
3DCloudHorizontalSize=4000.0
3DCloudVerticalSize=900.0
3DCloudSizeDeviation=0.6
3DCloudParticleDensity=3.2
ParticleSize=640.0
ParticleSizeDeviation=0.2
//MinBaseAltitude=1000.0
//MaxBaseAltitude=1200.0
MinBaseAltitude=6096.0
MaxBaseAltitude=7300.0
UseBottomRow=TRUE

Other clouds can also be altered the same way.  Hope that helps.

Whatever you Guys find, please keep at it! One of the biggest realism detractors in this series thus far is.. we can float into a Dark, Thunderous looking CLOUD And"" Nothing! Not even a twitch! Hopefully, one day, we would be able to use the "Terrain Avoidance" radar as a kind of "Weather Radar".. looking out for clouds.. with some ACTUAL substance dntknw.gifgood.gif

Whatever you Guys find, please keep at it! One of the biggest realism detractors in this series thus far is.. we can float into a Dark, Thunderous looking CLOUD And"" Nothing! Not even a twitch! Hopefully, one day, we would be able to use the "Terrain Avoidance" radar as a kind of "Weather Radar".. looking out for clouds.. with some ACTUAL substance dntknw.gifgood.gif

Excuse me , I do not quite understand.  A radar looking for clouds?

Excuse me , I do not quite understand. A radar looking for clouds?

Well not all clouds are bad news, but they do mark a difference in the consistency of the air, the relative humidity, temperature, air density and so on, which can add up to turbulence. Some clouds, no sane pilot would ever fly into if they had any alternative because the effects are so bad, like being picked up in an invisible fist and shook like a muscle shake. Have a look at this article for more detail on how and why aircraft use radar to avoid clouds

Edited by GwynO

That's really weird for a coincidence! I was flying through some monsoon rain clouds over India this afternoon and I was thinking about the missions for WoV I had made in KMD. I was thinking that I should come on to the forum when I got to Delhi and ask about the same issue. When I tried to vary the heights of cloud banks in the missions I designed through the KMD editor, nothing happened. Now I have something to go on to figure out how to deal with this issue. Thanks, Ticket1.

Weird, man: what a small world it is. :superstition:

That's really weird for a coincidence! I was flying through some monsoon rain clouds over India this afternoon and I was thinking about the missions for WoV I had made in KMD. I was thinking that I should come on to the forum when I got to Delhi and ask about the same issue. When I tried to vary the heights of cloud banks in the missions I designed through the KMD editor, nothing happened. Now I have something to go on to figure out how to deal with this issue. Thanks, Ticket1.

Weird, man: what a small world it is. :superstition:

The trouble is that you'll have to adjust it for every mission that you design. I'd also imagine that the same altitude will be applied throughout campaign.

Funny that I discovered it by sheer coincidence. I was checking out a weather mod, and while I was reading the file I hit this height information and a good guess seems to fit well about my doubt. Anyway, it's for the greater good. Playing this simulator is like a discovery process. So much to explore.