Sign in to follow this  
MaverickMike

Taken the plunge

Well I have just done something I have been wanting to do for a long while.

I have ordered TrackIr 5. Hopefully should have it by the end of next week. I have been playing sims for around 5 years (quite a newbie compared to some guys here :grin:) and have never felt the need to get something like this. The hat switch on my joystick does do the job quite well. Now that I am playing more though i recognise the need for trackir and have decided to invest in it.

Has anyone here had any bad experiences with this hardware or software?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers

Mike

I bought TrackIR 4 2-3 years ago and flight sim wise it was the best purchase I've done.

I had a bit of trouble when I first installed it ( Me probably being a bit thick) and it's not too keen on bright sunlight behind you.

Other wise BRILLIANT!

Mikeymead

No problems here with a 3 or 4 pro - A TiR 5 is on my list.

Once you get used to it you will never fly without it.

Apparently some people can get motion sickness from it... at least that way you find out in the comfort of your own home... so have a bucket ready :rofl:

There is an adjustment period. I love it for flight sims, but I've still not gotten used to it for racing or Arma (both of which support it). My laps are too easily messed up with it on in Race and in Arma I wind up having problems looking down the sight if my head isn't just right. For sims like Black Shark, Il-2, SF2, FE2...it's a necessity!

There is an adjustment period. I love it for flight sims, but I've still not gotten used to it for racing or Arma (both of which support it). My laps are too easily messed up with it on in Race and in Arma I wind up having problems looking down the sight if my head isn't just right. For sims like Black Shark, Il-2, SF2, FE2...it's a necessity!

I agree. With flight simulators it's just a hour or two you need for adjustment. For ARMA and racing I still have some problems. But that's me.

It was one of the best "extras" I've ever bought.

thanks for the heads up guys. Hope fully the motion sickness wont effect me too much. I will also be trying it with ARMA but if its a bit awkward the il just stick to the mouse configuration I already have.

As a side note it looks like im going to have to wait a little bit longer for the trackIR because i put my card details in incorrectly on the website. DOH!!!

Mike

When you do receive it let us know how it works out... from a newbies perspective... e.g. setup etc... As I am interested in getting one in a couple of months once I have settled down here...

You shouldn't have a problem with the motion sickness unless you get carsick easily. However, you can get disoriented easily until you get used to the unit. I never knew how much I flopped my head around till I got a TrackIR. It only took me a week (or a bit less) to get used to it. I started with the IR2, now I have a 4 and the 5 is coming. I'll post back with info after I get it setup. The difference between flying w/out the TrackIR and with is the difference between flying with a keyboard vs. a joystick/HOTAS. It's that big of a change.

Thanks Ruggbutt. Thats a comparison which makes sense to me. Hopefully ill have mine by the end of the week. I have been laying off the sims for about a month and playing ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead a lot so im kinda hoping this will rekindle my passion for flight in the TW world.

TrackIR worked in ArmA, so I would imagine it works in 2 and Arrowhead.

Well I had the system delivered yesterday afternoon. For the last hour or so I have been fiddling with the many aspects of setting it up properly and trying it in game. I still dont think I have it right but as mentioned earlier in the thread it takes time to set up so im not getting frustrated.

I have succesfully flown a mission in SF2:I in the netz to bomb an airfield and landed the aircraft safely. It takes a lot of getting used to I must admit.

Its a bit early for me to say whether I am completely satisfied with it but its looking good so far. The only downside is that the instructions are pretty useless and it took a few minutes of staring at the components spread across the desk before i knew what went where. I guess another downside is (although it doesnt affect me) in order to get the software for the system you must download it because there is no disk drivers in the box. Once you have the software installed its relatively easy to use and configure.

Well back to the fiddling then

Mike

Edit: as a side note, does anyone have any good tips for the speed and smoothness settings in the trackir software?

Edited by MaverickMike

They changed that, then, because my TIR 4 had a CD in the box. As for settings, that's VERY subjective. Things like dead zone and sensitivity are wildly preference based.

Then to listen to the Boys at Natural Point, 4 was garbage, 5 was the only way to fly

PS . .without a disc. . . . I wonder what they'll say in a couple years time, when Trackir 6 comes out

haha - An honest Sales pitch - theres no such thing!

Well, the F-4 was a big step up from the P-51 in speed and capability, so who wouldn't want to upgrade? However, the F-22 makes the F-4 look like garbage, so there you go.

It's not that there's anything wrong with TIR 4, the 5 is just more precise. We're doing a review here and you'll see soon what they mean.

Well, the F-4 was a big step up from the P-51 in speed and capability, so who wouldn't want to upgrade? However, the F-22 makes the F-4 look like garbage, so there you go.

It's not that there's anything wrong with TIR 4, the 5 is just more precise. We're doing a review here and you'll see soon what they mean.

Using that analogy would suggest there is a ground breaking leap in technology from 4 to 5?

An upgrade could also be Lightning F.mk1 to Lightning F.mk2 :yes:

I don't know if "ground breaking" is appropriate, but it's more than just buying a car with a nicer stereo and leather seats.

It does everything TIR 4 did, but better. In some areas you might not necessarily notice, but in others you will. My gut says if you have a TIR3 or older you'd be thrilled with an upgrade, if you don't have one at all you should pick it up, and only those who have a TIR 4 may sit on the fence.

In general the TrackIR 4 is still a good camera, and works great (one reason we still manufacture, and sell them), but the camera itself was designed over 4 years ago, and the imager technology has benn updateed since then, so we updated the TrackIR as well.

Our comparision page can be found here -

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html