Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

A concept I've been experimenting with

Here's a possible alternative for updating older 3D models, those that we cannot apply bump-mapping for whatever reason: relief-mapping

One of the benefits of this method, is that it's also available to those still using the first-gen TW sims, and to this running the second-gen on non-DX10 operating systems, or with non-compliant hardware.

In case you must ask, the hangers in the screenies are the work of BpAO... :good:

Look at the rivets, some panel lines, access doors, louvers, and the exhaust "feathers" on the Su-33 (Marcelo's model).

img00011.JPG

img00012.JPG

img00013.JPG

Hi,

Sweet improvement method... :good:

Will be possible to download this mod in the near future? :blush:

Thanks!

Coupi. :salute:

Edited by Coupi

Very interesting...

This is applicable also at the weapons?

I tried to import in WoV the SF2V Mk-4 HIPEG gunpod but with no success...cause bump-mapping...I think.

Hi,

Sweet improvement method... :good:

Will be possible to download this mod in the near future? :blush:

Thanks!

Coupi. :salute:

If you mean the model, well that's up to Marcelo. I simply used that model because of its relatively low res skin (512x512), to highlight the level of detail that;s possible by applying relief to the bitmap.

Very interesting...

This is applicable also at the weapons?

I tried to import in WoV the SF2V Mk-4 HIPEG gunpod but with no success...cause bump-mapping...I think.

Well, it's most likely because you're attempting to use a model with unicode lod files, in a version of the series that cannot read unicode.

This is just a photoshop texture tweak, right?

Yes and no. It's actually a "Paint.net" (freeware) tweak...... :grin:

Use of certain colours around panels and rivets creates an illusion similar to bump mapping - have been using it skins for a few years - something obvserved from 2D artwork - although in mycase I create it with the skin manually - are you using some script or effect?

are you using some script or effect?

"Relief" is an effect in Paint.net, where one can control the shadow-angle, thereby creating the impression of a raised or depressed contour line or break.

Well the problem is that it isn't dynamic and when lightsources move around a lot it breaks the illusion.

Well the problem is that it isn't dynamic and when lightsources move around a lot it breaks the illusion.

That's why I use 90 degrees for the relief angle.

Somewhat related in dynamic vs static philosophy: In the top silver and bottom antiflashwhite airplanes (B-47), I set reflection and shine to the max possible in game. It gives a real metal shine to the top under the SF Sun, but not the bottom where the SF Sun don't shine. So the bottom looks bright but non-shiny white. If the plane rolled over the overall effect would be ruined, but SAC bombers didn't normally roll over so its not so bad. What would be nice if we could assign textureset variables independently to each mesh. This is only spiritually related to what yawl talking about but thought I'd drop it in.