Sign in to follow this  
scary_pigeon

new movie

as ever, requiring the now standard divx codec.

http://www.thunder-works.com/bomb_run.avi

we will of course be improving the water. For those interested in what precisely we have been doing the last 6 months (this is the first movie for over 6 months)

the answer is lots of changes to the terrain system and just lost of development in all areas bringing further towards being a game.

When I get my fancy new graphics card I'll be able to start experimenting with per-pixel code - if all goes well, we too will gain realistic looking oceans.

Edited by scary_pigeon

Looks great guys, I'm really impressed with the quality of the models at this stage in the game.

Some screenshots from the video...

skyhawkgunsattack.jpg

skyhawking.jpg

skyhawk_bombing.jpg

BTW, I think it's admirable that you are sensitive to the feelings of both sides in this conflict, and are concerned about posting vids/pics of battle damage to units still in service. I personally think that if a person does have a problem with that sort of thing, then they probably should not be playing ANY sort of simulation. :D We do the same thing with just about any combat sim, be it IL-2, Strike Fighters, LOMAC or Jet Thunder.

it is true. It is something mainly i've brought up.

the argies i think just want to rewrite history :) and relise their imperialist goals in the virtual sphere :) but for me, there is a sense of making money out of basically people dieing - within the last generation.

British soldiers signed up for soldiering wereas argentine soldiers were conscripts which to my mind is another word for civilian.

the falklands war was a 'nice' war though - with no raping and pillaging and only 2 civilian deaths due to mishap - this is rare. This contrasts with WWII - a popular scenario for games and 50 million or more died in that.

with regards to lomac - theres is a ficticious conflict - so is strike fighters. And IL2 doesnt give you points or missions for bombing cities - though now I understand in the pacific scenario there will be nuclear bombers.

Edited by scary_pigeon

But all the units portrayed exist, as do the terrain in sims such as LOMAC. When it all boils down, we are still simulating killing someone. I guess my point is that if your sensibilities are offended by such a topic, then you probably should not (or would not) be interested in such a sim. Just my 2 cents... ;)

perhaps, but I did feel a little - umm, maybe thats not such a good idea - with regards to games being based on Gulf War 2 - whilst the war was in progress!

well maybe our next game will be an organic farm simulator? something gentle and peaceful.

But all the units portrayed exist, as do the terrain in sims such as LOMAC. When it all boils down, we are still simulating killing someone. I guess my point is that if your sensibilities are offended by such a topic, then you probably should not (or would not) be interested in such a sim. Just my 2 cents...

Don't worry MadJeff, as soon as the frigate can fight back, I'll show it being hit. To keep things balanced, and not be accused of being biased towards this side or that side of the conflict.

I mean, if I post a video showing a frigate being attacked, I'll post then a video together showing the frigate fighting back and the plane being hit too. This would keep things balanced IMO. :ph34r: B)

I did this video in a hurry without Steve's supervision so I don't like it too much, as the bomb is loading some sort of semi-transparent texture I don't know why - a thing only Steve can fix <_< (you can barely see the Mk-82 on centerline pylon as the A-4 turns - it's slightly misplaced too - we need a sort of editor to set child-objects in a plane's tree hierarchy - at the moment this is all hardcoded - :rolleyes: )

I plan to do a new video this week with the Bofors AAA batteries each side of the Type 22's bridge opening up - so I'll have to came much faster and lower :)

:) and I might do a fun movie were ...

... an argie pilot - realising the error of his ways...

...drops the bomb short of the frigate then turns on his wingmate and shoots him down !

dont think it would be on the site official.

Edited by scary_pigeon

As the small bomb glitch was promptly fixed by Steve, I've upload a new version of video, replacing old one, it's the same "script" of going north then towards southeast and drop the low-drag Mk-82 in the frigate, but now the bomb can be seen clearly dropping from centerline pylon in the external view.

I also placed a version of the video that doesn't requires the DivX codec for playback, I used plain default Intel Indeo 4.5 codec, overall quality isn't that good, but we respect the people that doesn't want to install extra codec packs into their systems.

The bomb nicely falling from A-4B's centerline:

bomb_drop.jpg

This one missed quite badly, compared to the first video, hitting the water more than 300 feet always from the british frigate :) I was slow ( less than 300 knots, dunno exactly, I bleed a lot of airspeed in that sharp turn) and 100 feet high or more - I'd be easy prey for the Bofors AA gun in the bulhead side of that frigate. :ph34r:

Scaery Pigeon...

Re-wright History Yes..

Now, Imperialistic what?

Sorry nothing fardest from reality ;).

I do honnor the respect for boths sides that this sim intends And that is reflected in its forums. I find that highlly remarkable.

So I will not get drwaned to a political discussion or to who was right or wrong. It´s not worth it, let the UN decide that :D:D:D:D:D:D

And it´s just grate to see British, Argentinians and Brasilians working on this proyect toguether, to do justice to the heros on both sides ;).

And I agree the conflict of the South Atlantic was as clean as a war can be or ever was ;).

its a shame - i like political discussion.

I have read of suggestions that the falklands war was the first antartic war.

The british territory gives britain a sort of justification to claim parts of the antartic. its a continent of competing territorial claims - a potential powder keg kept. this genie is being kept in the bottle with a currently holding agreement to scientific research only.