Sign in to follow this  
X RAY

4096X4096 skins problems in SF-2I-SF-2 series on Win 7

Hi again.

I've discovered another strange thing in my fresh Sf-2 series win-7 install (that I don't have on my Sf-2 series XP install)

Example:

Game:SF-2I june 2010 patch

Plane:F-15I

If I fly this plane with default 1024x1024 skins NO problem

If I do that with 4096x4096 the game stops charging at 70% or leave black areas on the model

This issue don't appears in the same game and plane in my Win XP install.

Is there some entry in the Flightengine to modify to increase the Hi-rez skins size?

I remeber something like that for WoX series....

My specs:

Win7 ultimate 32

Intel E-8500 dual 3.16Ghz

Nvidia GTX-285 1024mb

4Gb kingston ddr2 RAM

Thanks in advance!

Turn off the aero-desktop, if you haven't already, while running a sim. It uses up quite a bit of texture memory, and a few CPU cycles, as well.

4096 x 4096 is overkill IMHO. Can you re-size them?

Is there some entry in the Flightengine to modify to increase the Hi-rez skins size?

[unlimitedDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=8

DetailLevel=2

WaterEffect=2

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=2048 (or 1024)

4096 is just plain ridiculous.

Make sure you tell Sundowner that. :fu: I like them at 4096 because my system can run them and no one can touch the detail that he puts into them. Watch who you insult Julhelm.

Make sure you tell Sundowner that. :fu: I like them at 4096 because my system can run them and no one can touch the detail that he puts into them. Watch who you insult Julhelm.

yes Dave,is for that Ant works are a piece of art that can't be missed!

Repeat in my XP HDD I've no problems with them (and I can use only 3 of my 4 Gb's of RAM)

Is an issue thatI've found only in 7

yes Dave,is for that Ant works are a piece of art that can't be missed!

Repeat in my XP HDD I've no problems with them (and I can use only 3 of my 4 Gb's of RAM)

Is an issue thatI've found only in 7

A 32-bit OS will not "see" RAM above 3.5 GB, so it assigns it to various hardware addresses. You need to upgrade to a 64-bit OS in order to use all your mem (above 3.5 GB). Besides, Win 7-64 has better memory management than its 32-bit counterpart.

I have the same video card as you do X Ray. My Win 7 versionis 64 bit and I have a quad core. I wonder if that makes a difference?

4096 is not overkill if you have a system to run it but for someone to be critizied because he prefers to skin at 4096 and does it for free is getting a little riduculous. If that is the case lets start nit picking everything everyone does. Lets just let the whole community implode because someone makes a design decision. Sundowner has been doing super high res for years so lets not pick apart an upstanding LONG time member of our community. I can recall many people begging to get his templates, wow, he must be doing something right. One can always resize it if they dont like it high res.

[unlimitedDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=8

DetailLevel=2

WaterEffect=2

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=2048 (or 1024)

Interesting. So does it resize for you or just prevent 'larger than' from appearing?

Spinners,

It resizes for you in game. I've got several models that have much higher resolution skins, but the sim pares them down. Works pretty good too...I think it does it at the front end during the loading portion, so there is no slowdown once you're in the sim proper.

FC

4096 is just plain ridiculous.

LOL.....I remember a few years back when I first started doing 2048's, some folks were calling me all the names under the sun for "killing" their systems, I even got some threating emails from some poor soul who blamed me for everything going wrong in his life.....ahhhh....those were the days.. :grin:

now, who was it said that this flying lark would never catch on....... :blink: