Sign in to follow this  
Olham

OT: Something like S.T.A.L.K.E.R

In autumn and winter I like to play games, and the best one I found in the past 5 years for me was STALKER.

A special athmosphere, some good fighting, but also things to search for - it was somehow special to me.

Now a friend of mine has moved to a place not far from mine, and we would like to play LAN-connected

multiplayer games like the above.

STALKER allows that, but it only gives you some places/arenas, and the monsters and Stalkers and Bandits

are not there - you just fight each other. That was boring. I would be excited, if we could move through the

STALKER world together, with everything in there that you would find as a single player.

I played RAINBOW SIX Las Vegas, but that was rather police squad fighting, without the mystery;

not my cup of tea. So:

Does anyone know a good game, that could provide us with that?

Edited by Olham

I think there is one called Metro 2033... similar idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Y1z66pKgY

Also I have the first 2 STALKER games just waiting for the third one but I might be buying Metro 2033...

Games by THQ

Also at the End of October there is the release of Fallout New Vegas... if thats your style as well...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Thanks for the tip, slarti; didn't know this one.

Just checked their website, but I didn't find anything about LAN multiplayer options so far.

Do you know more?

Apologies Herr Olham... missed that you wanted a Lan Player attachment on it... as Far as I know its single player...

Also looks like a new Version of Stalker is under development

http://www.gsc-game.com/

But for LAN Play it looks like Call of Pripyat has online play though... but don't quote me on that one...

Left 4 Dead 2.

While I don't apreciate this kind of horror games, Ive heard that this has a good multiplayer component.

You should also consider Battlefield Bad Company 2 or even Bioshock 2 (I don't know how is the multiplayer with this last one).

I don't play Bad Company 2, I play something more serious, ARMA II. But it needs some dedication, effort and time, which you don't have it with OFF.

ARMA is for grown up players. :yikes::grin::cool::good:

EDIT: You asked for LAN, I don't know if any of those games have LAN support. LAN parties are being out of use nowadays.

Edited by Von Paulus

The one I was meaning is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 this is a new generation version it is beyond the original Stalker series of Shadow of Chernobyl Clear Sky and Call of Pribyat... Totally new... and due for release in 2012...

Edited by Slartibartfast

There are so many FPS LAN shooters to chose from Olham.

My personal favourites are the early Call of Duty ones (1&2)...which my son constantly kicks my butt on!

I know, Widowmaker, but I'm searching for something more phantasy/mystery like;

not the harsh reality of ground war.

I heard there must be a new Sniper game, that might be interesting for you - forgot the name though.

I heard there must be a new Sniper game, that might be interesting for you - forgot the name though.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior. I wouldn't spent my money on that.

EDIT: Even being a bit older, but why don't you consider Half-Life 2 ( the Orange Box), Olham? Besides Orange Box brings other games that might interest you, namely Portal..

Edited by Von Paulus

Can that be played as multiplayer via LAN?

Good suggestion Von Paulus

Half Life 2 is great, and is LAN compatible too! (and a budget price now as well)

(though you may need the dreaded 'Steam')

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Sounds great - I had seen that game before, and it looked very good. What is "Steam", apart from Mr. Watt's interpretation?

in one word DRM

Free to use..and one of the better ones I spose..on the plus side..you can pay for the game directly...Steam downloads it for you, and you play Via it.

and HL2 is under £7....bargain!!

http://store.steampowered.com/

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I've done a little of googling and I'd say it his possible. But I don't know if you need two original game.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080929224954AAXBAqK

http://forums.techguy.org/games/384010-half-life-2-multiple-computers.html

http://www.hlfallout.net/topic/56512-playing-half-life-2-deathmatch-lan/

And a mod for playing in coop the SP story.

http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/HalfLife_2_Coop;66715

I'm playing Half-Life 2 now, yes I know, I should have played already, but it's not much my kind of game. But for what you want, and with that mod, I'm pretty sure it will be fun to play it with a friend. That's what you want, Olham. Besides it's a classic.

in one word DRM

Free to use..and one of the better ones I spose..on the plus side..you can pay for the game directly...Steam downloads it for you, and you play Via it.

and HL2 is under £7....bargain!!

http://store.steampowered.com/

Exactly, Steam is DRM, but not the worst.

But go for the Orange box which is a little more expansive. I don't know if the graphics aren't a little better. Besides you'll have episode one and two. You'll have Portal, which is something.... different kind of game, and have team fortress 2.

Thank you for all the info, guys. I had thought of getting it before.

Now I will bite - it has become really cheap, so it will be the Orange box.

:good:

Yesterday while playing, I almost jump off my chair, when in a tunnel a disgusted thing suddenly attacked me from nowhere. I'm too old for that kind of things.:heat:

Looks interesting the Half Lilfe 2 especially. Played the original years ago, but if you don't mind me asking if anyone is playing Silent Hunter 5? I did the original 3 and 4, and found myself immersed in both. Reviews of 5 are a little negative and yet I found positive reviews. My main concern with SH 5 is that I am afraid it would cut down on my OFF playing time more than I want. And the price is up there at $49.00. What Ii liked about the SH series is that you had to do some real planning.

I've read so many bad reviews about SH5 and bad opinions from old gamers who played that franchise from the breginning, that I think that SH5, will be one of this year failures.

In metacritic they give him 62 and user score is very, very low 2.3. I bet one reason for the low user score is the draconian DRM.

Do yourself a favor and buy instead HF2 and continue the saga of Gordon Freeman. :grin:

Edited by Von Paulus

Yes, HL2 should be made a compulsory buy for all FPS fans! :drinks:

I played SH3 religously until OFF pahse 3 came out. Haven't touched it since (although I have thought about it).

The negative reviews and poor response on the subsim forum have steered me away from SH5.

I've read so many bad reviews about SH5 and bad opinions from old gamers who played that franchise from the breginning, that I think that SH5, will be one of this year failures.

In metacritic they give him 62 and user score is very, very low 2.3. I bet one reason for the low user score is the draconian DRM.

Do yourself a favor and buy instead HF2 and continue the saga of Gordon Freeman. :grin:

I played the SP version of HL2, and it rocked. One of the best SP FPS I ever played. It was wide open, whereas, you could walk around and not be jumped every 2 seconds by something, which meant you could really enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

OvS

I played the SP version of HL2, and it rocked. One of the best SP FPS I ever played. It was wide open, whereas, you could walk around and not be jumped every 2 seconds by something, which meant you could really enjoy the atmosphere of the game.

OvS

Which is why BIA Hells Highway is a squillion times better than COD :good:

The BiA series is definitely the best historical shooters out there, but I've always thought they could have been even better if there had been more historical simulation and less arcade shooting. Of course compared to CoD, BiA is far from arcadish, but still. In my opinion, there are too many missions in the BiA games where the player is forced to act like some WW2-era Rambo and single-handedly destroy several German tanks or assault guns while shooting dozens of Germans in the process. And why is the overwhelming majority of German troops armed with the StG and FG rifles, while in reality the good old Mauser 98 was the most important rifle of the German army? Fortunately they changed some of this idiocy for the latest game.

But the better missions are really great and memorable, that's true.

I agree Hasse Wind...but when you 'take out' a group of Nazis with a charge, and a burst of MG fire..I found myself with a little time to take a deep breath...look around at the Carnage..and take in the experience.

If WW2 combat was anything like COD...Everyone would have died..or gone mad!!