Sign in to follow this  
UllyB

afterburner.tga file / muzzle light

1.I noticed that if you include into aircraft folder that special TGA afterburner file (that beautiful orange TGA which is here somewhere in a thread) the plane "engine" when you look from rear has a burning fit look for idle. Nice effect.

But this trick won't work with modern fighters in game (maybe it work but I don't know how) .I studied the dataini file , engine section, and one difference is that old planes don't have afterburnernode, but , of course , I am not sure if this could be one of the causes.

Long story short, does anyone know, please, how can it be enabled for other planes, too ?

2.I tried a F-5 model. Evereything is fine except one thing that is annoying. If you disable (DEL key from numpad pressed) the cockpit , trying to concentrate in firing with gun only in a dogfight, when you fire the gun the muzzle light/flash is there in front of you bothering. I noticed that when are other planes and you disable the cockpit for the same thing , the muzzle is removed when you disable the cockpit.

How can I remove the muzzle light, BUT ONLY when I am in that mode (cockpit disabled) ?

Thank you!

1. You can make a concentrated effect that could simulate an afterburner node. You would have to add a second engine for each engine...one uses the standard effect, the second uses the 'afterburner node' effect. Obviously, you would have to create the effect, the engine, and manipulate the fuel usage and thrust values to not affect overall aircraft performance.

2. Well, considering the gun is actually in front of the pilot...but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, what I suspect is that the Gun entry in the data.ini is listed under a Component that has a the ShowFromCockpit parameter is TRUE. You could simply move the SystemName entry for the Gun to a Component where the ShowFromCockpit parameter is FALSE.

FC

1. You can make a concentrated effect that could simulate an afterburner node. You would have to add a second engine for each engine...one uses the standard effect, the second uses the 'afterburner node' effect. Obviously, you would have to create the effect, the engine, and manipulate the fuel usage and thrust values to not affect overall aircraft performance.

2. Well, considering the gun is actually in front of the pilot...but that's neither here nor there. Anyway, what I suspect is that the Gun entry in the data.ini is listed under a Component that has a the ShowFromCockpit parameter is TRUE. You could simply move the SystemName entry for the Gun to a Component where the ShowFromCockpit parameter is FALSE.

FC

It seems complicate to make all these (an engine and to tweak it). I am trying to understand what is that afterburner NODE. If a modern fighter (I include this all that was made after 2008 oct official patch, correct me if I'm wrong) needs a afterburner node to make that effect , why an older one (from 2004 or 2003) don't need that (the AF node) ? I have to understand that. What is the difference , technical speaking , regarding the setting included for such thing/behaviour ? For me to solve a problem , first thing I have to understand the concept, how it works etc . I also , feel disadvantaged from other modders because they seem to know syntax (what exactly need to be add in a config file) . How do they know it ? The rules , I guess, TK "wrote" them when he did think the whole project (his game ). Do some people have acces to these knowledge ? If the acces is for everyone I would like to know where I can find documentation for that. It would help me tremendous to understand and to become a real modder. if I don't know syntax and designing concepts it's like people who know them they seem to speak a "foreign" language to me and I don't understand or I just understand bits of it. I'm sure you know what I mean. I saw a thread where a guy was speaking about making a mesh, and trying t attached the ...effect to the fuselage itself as a component etc...

I know to little to understand what he was talking about...

I also feel that I need to know which aircraft (how can I recognize them looking into their files) are new (the AF node issue) and which are old and support that effect just dropping a TGA file into their folder...

The second problem I will look into it as soon as possible.

Anyway, thank you for your guidance.I'll see what I can do...For the moment I am just looking in threads on this site about those afterburner effects...

It's really simple.

Afterburner 'nodes' are a part of the aircraft LOD that light up (become visible) with the particular texture assigned to it. However, this feature DOES NOT EXIST for Generation 1 TW sims (SFP1/SFG/WOV/WOE/WOI). You can put the line into a data.ini for a particular aircraft, but unless that aircraft A) has the node as part of the model and B) is running in the SF2 series sims, nothing will happen.

What I suggested you do is complicated, but that's because you are trying to make something in the Generation 1 sims that does not exist and is outside of the sim's original abilities.

People have learned about the syntax of most ini files through the Knowledge Base, the search function (both here and Google/Yahoo), applying logical thinking, and by trial and error. Relatively little was learned from TK directly due to the fact that if he tried to make a 'ini bible', it would take all the time he has, and no new sims would be built.

FC

Actually, 08 level STOCK (emphasis added) aircraft DO have the AB nodes called in the data inis. Weither or not it actualy does anything .....

wrench

kevin stein

It's really simple.

Afterburner 'nodes' are a part of the aircraft LOD that light up (become visible) with the particular texture assigned to it. However, this feature DOES NOT EXIST for Generation 1 TW sims (SFP1/SFG/WOV/WOE/WOI). You can put the line into a data.ini for a particular aircraft, but unless that aircraft A) has the node as part of the model and B) is running in the SF2 series sims, nothing will happen.

What I suggested you do is complicated, but that's because you are trying to make something in the Generation 1 sims that does not exist and is outside of the sim's original abilities.

People have learned about the syntax of most ini files through the Knowledge Base, the search function (both here and Google/Yahoo), applying logical thinking, and by trial and error. Relatively little was learned from TK directly due to the fact that if he tried to make a 'ini bible', it would take all the time he has, and no new sims would be built.

FC

Ok, let's see if I got it...So you are saying that no planes except SF2 (made for it) have no AF node , unless the author build one into its model, right ? The afterburner effect is that effect which is made by that TGA which interact with the afterburner.ini file for each plane (which is in the Effects folder). If so I have another two questions:

How come that WOI aircraft, for instance, have all AF effect ? Did TK built for each AF node or I still didn't get it ? (I left the 3rd party planes aside here, though they are in the same situation , because you say that if they are built for SF1 series only, they don't poses,generally, a AF node)

The second question is about that effect I was talking about above in fact, that , how should I call it ?, made by that TGA file which gives that effect of an idle engine (so it's different from the AF effect we all know, I hope you understood me what I am talking about) . I noticed that this effect , in older planes (by older I mean planes built in 2003/2004 and 2005 even, is reached ONLY by adding a TGA file like this (http://combatace.com...fterburner-mod/ ). In some other aircraft folder I saw that particular TGA put into skin folders but it didn't work (I am talking about what planes I saw they have this and I tried them to see that effect). I noticed that these "older" planes I am talking about they had no line into engine section regarding afterburner node, which is what you pointed out above. Newer aircraft or even some 3rd party built AFTER 2005 have that line into engine section (I know what you said , that it doesn't work if there is no AF node model) but they don't exhibit that idle engine effect (visual) if you just drop that TGA file into their folder. So...bottom line here, there is a WAY and a CAUSE for all these. I have a SU-9 from 2004 I think and it has a TGA file (afterburner.tga called which I switched it with the one I gave you the link and it works) and one can see that idle engine effect and all other aircraft , I can't make them exhibit that effect. To make them do that I have to understand WHY the effect works for a SU-9 and how is that effectively created. That's my goal here. You are saying:

"What I suggested you do is complicated, but that's because you are trying to make something in the Generation 1 sims that does not exist and is outside of the sim's original abilities."

Let's straight this out. Not the afterburner effect (are we talking about the same thing here?)to simulate I am looking for, I am looking for that IDLE engine effect (please see the picture included). I want to know how to make this effect ! The AFBurner matter , I said above, I just want to understand how it works, that's all. All the planes HAVE afterburner effect, that is easy to obtain, you have a ini file and a TGA into Effects folder and that's it, with or without AF node into engine section.

Regarding what you were saying about learning the syntax for config files I am stunned. You say that people learned it from knowledge base, but that means there WAS someone initially who KNEW and wrote down that piece of knowledge.If so, it means that he must know it from somewhere. These things are preciselly , this is not game. It's like you wrote a program in a text and signs language.The compiler understands the syntax(language) and transform that or an engine 'knows" that very syntax to apply those config text lines. So this is not made just by logic and deduction ! You HAVE to KNOW the syntax, the text commands exactly. If so , that means someone created them , and there is a LIST of them. Such a language is not just spontaneous created, I'm sure you know what I mean. And even so, it's hard for me to comprehend that the tough modders here just "stole" info piece by piece from that knowledge base ! They seem to know a million time more then what's in it. I saw a guy who was playing effectively with config text commands. He said : "well if it doesn't make this way then we wrote this and this and this" !!! So that guy KNEW ALL or made me think that at least.

Knowledge is power as someone said so to have a real chance to modd config files , I have to know that syntax (all of IT!! if possible)

It crossed my mind another analogy, thinking of what you said about syntax learning. It's just you wanna learn english and someone tells you you can learn it reading from google on the net. You CAN'T learn English this way if you don't have a clue about what English language is about. It has a vocabulary( a minimum 10.000 words and you have to know them , in order to speak it; I left beside the grammar here, I just wanted to make a point)

Anyway I appreciate you people want to help , though there are some moderators who mocked me and made my life a hell (moving all my threads into one and mixed them so no one could help me, answering to a particular issue that I raised but I put this behind, I'm minding of my business, I don't care if they are mean to me)

So if you point me exactly in the right directon for the problems raised above I would appreciate.

Thank you once again.

Edited by UllyB

Sorry I forgot to include the idle engine effect picture I was talking about. Here it is.

post-61176-034599500 1283342458.jpg

FC

You were right, it WAS under a component (left and right wing) which had TRUE to ShowFromCockpit. I moved them to the NOSE where it is FALSE but it didn't help, though. The muzzle flash is still there when you disable the cockpit.

The F4E Kurnass stock file (I checked now) had the gun under a component which had FALSE value to ShowFromCockpit but you see the muzzle if you disable the cockpit, so it's not it. It has to be some other way I think...

Edited by UllyB

Alright, lets clarify a bit.

First, an Effect (any effect) uses a TGA file, but is mostly created with the ini entries located in the Effects folder. It has nothing to do with the LOD file, or ANY file in the aircraft's folder except being referenced in the data.ini. Most afterburner Effects (as well as smoke, wingtip vorticies, etc) are like this. It sounds like you understand this part.

Second, one exception is the AfterburnerNode, but this only works for SF2, requires a specific section of the LOD to be dedicated to it and to be called out in the data.ini. That DOES require a specific TGA file located in the aircraft's folder...look to the Eagle Super Pack for SF2 to see an example of how this works. However, this is NOT for Gen 1 sims...the capability doesn't exist in any Gen 1 sim (I just checked to make sure).

Third, what you are seeing is not an Effect. What has happened is that the modeler mapped the Afterburner.TGA file onto the engine part. You cannot 'transfer' this to any other aircraft. It is part of the aircraft. If you delete the afterburner.TGA file, you will simply see a white disk where you see the glow now. The best you can hope for is to find on the other aircraft where that part is mapped and adjust the texture accordingly. Or do what I talked about in the first post.

As far as the syntax for the ini files goes, let me reiterate this one more time:

There is NO Rosetta Stone for the ini's.

There are bits and pieces in the Knowledge Base, logical thinking, and in the forums using the search function. The ONLY place that documents what every single line means and how to use them is inside the original creators brain (TK). And even he doesn't remember it all exactly all the time...check on the ThirdWire forums if you don't believe me. A lot of the knowledge gained has been through trial and error...that's the way the series works. Most terms are self-explanatory, for those that are not, you can usually find an explanation somewhere. About the only thing that is still fairly nebulous is the flight model portion, and even that, there are some definitions out there. The senior modders around here have figured a lot of this through lots of skull sweat, taking the initative to play with it until it breaks, searching, trying, referencing. We have tried to get some of this information out there, however, because we all have real lives, we can't dedicate our time to wrapping it up in a nice neat bow.

FC

Alright, lets clarify a bit.

First, an Effect (any effect) uses a TGA file, but is mostly created with the ini entries located in the Effects folder. It has nothing to do with the LOD file, or ANY file in the aircraft's folder except being referenced in the data.ini. Most afterburner Effects (as well as smoke, wingtip vorticies, etc) are like this. It sounds like you understand this part.

Second, one exception is the AfterburnerNode, but this only works for SF2, requires a specific section of the LOD to be dedicated to it and to be called out in the data.ini. That DOES require a specific TGA file located in the aircraft's folder...look to the Eagle Super Pack for SF2 to see an example of how this works. However, this is NOT for Gen 1 sims...the capability doesn't exist in any Gen 1 sim (I just checked to make sure).

Third, what you are seeing is not an Effect. What has happened is that the modeler mapped the Afterburner.TGA file onto the engine part. You cannot 'transfer' this to any other aircraft. It is part of the aircraft. If you delete the afterburner.TGA file, you will simply see a white disk where you see the glow now. The best you can hope for is to find on the other aircraft where that part is mapped and adjust the texture accordingly. Or do what I talked about in the first post.

As far as the syntax for the ini files goes, let me reiterate this one more time:

There is NO Rosetta Stone for the ini's.

There are bits and pieces in the Knowledge Base, logical thinking, and in the forums using the search function. The ONLY place that documents what every single line means and how to use them is inside the original creators brain (TK). And even he doesn't remember it all exactly all the time...check on the ThirdWire forums if you don't believe me. A lot of the knowledge gained has been through trial and error...that's the way the series works. Most terms are self-explanatory, for those that are not, you can usually find an explanation somewhere. About the only thing that is still fairly nebulous is the flight model portion, and even that, there are some definitions out there. The senior modders around here have figured a lot of this through lots of skull sweat, taking the initative to play with it until it breaks, searching, trying, referencing. We have tried to get some of this information out there, however, because we all have real lives, we can't dedicate our time to wrapping it up in a nice neat bow.

FC

Now I got it , I understood the difference between the AF effect and what I thought it could be related to. Thank you. How can one map that effect onto the engine part ? Is that part of modelling into 3D model creating ?

About "rosetta stone" (what's that, I am not familiar with the phrase) , well, I have to take your word for it. From my side the picture doesn't look so simple...believe me. For me, CAUSALITY it's a solid concept.

Well now at least I have some answers and I turned up some pieces more of the big puzzle called modding aircraft.

About the muzzle flash I was giving some thought...

What you see (the light effect of the muzzle) when you disable the cockpit is the same effect generated for the gun when you look from a 3rd view perspective the aircraft and see the gunfire effect ? Or is it generated separately for aircraft 3rd view and for 1st view when you are in the cockpit ? I was wonder if I make the muzzle effect smaller (tweaking the settings in data ini file) would it help ?

Edited by UllyB