Sign in to follow this  
Jimbib

F-117 First Flight

Uploaded by LM yesterday, this was a bit of a surprise.

Wow that was cool they did that. I bet you the Russians would of loved to of had that footage back in 1981

Wow that was cool they did that. I bet you the Russians would of loved to of had that footage back in 1981

Anyone would

No, they have plenty of airspace where no one would see. Back then there were areas you could see the runway from, but judging by the low sun angles in some shots, I'm guessing this was an early morning flight. They probably took off just before sunrise, then on landing taxi'd fast to the hangar.

I wonder why they took so long to show this as it's nothing more than a plane we've seen for over 20 years flying with its gear (mostly) down. The only difference is the paint scheme.

I'd like to see more of the prototype with the tail fins the other way.

Maybe the footage probably just been declassified by now.... the 30 year rule or something like that

the magnificent "Have blue" :good:

awesome video~!

That's just it, this isn't Have Blue, this is just the first F-117.

Here's Have Blue:

Have-blue.jpg

you're right.. my bad.. :blink:

who would have thought they'd used the same paint scheme for the first F-117

I wonder if Have Blue only flew at night, never during the day. Maybe there is only footage of it during the day in hangars, never in flight, so there's no flight footage to see.

The camo scheme the F-117 had was optimized for daylight over desert (for these tests I guess), the operational scheme it had was for night use (as it was used most of its career).