Sign in to follow this  
vyrago

Woah! I did...something good!

I've been playing OFF for almost 8 months now, and never done/seen anything like this!

should I feel proud?

post-57157-038459600 1283405511.jpg

I havn't survived long enough to get anything near that... but I am playing Full DiD rules from the start out...

So well done on that one :drinks:

Congratulation to this order, vyrago! I think you well deserved it.

Well done, old bean!

Of course, it should actually be the Military Cross, but let's not nitpick! How many hours does that pilot have?

Congrats vyrago on your first official award. This of course means you buy the drinks tonight.

:drinks:

Si, you are quite correct that it should be the Military Cross as the DFC did not come along til mid-1918. I change the entry in my pilot logs to show the MC when I'm presented the DFC before it's available.

This pilot has exactly 8 hours of flying time, and yeah I know about the DFC not being available until 1918. I think the medal was awarded for a mission from a few days ago: I was flight leader on an airfield strike when we got jumped over the trenches by what looked like 2 different Jastas. There was my flight of 5, and another flight of 4 against I believe 11 or 12 Albatrosses. I took down 4, including a german ace. (cant rememeber his name, but his plane was black with orange.) I also managed 2 more assists with my dwindling ammo before I decided to turn back and live to fight another day. we never made it to our target. In the end, I claimed 3 kills although 1 was rejected. the 4th kill was a team effort so I left it out. I guess I should mention that i'm playing with default realism, no cheats.

Lordy! With a combat record like that, I'm surprised you only have five victories! I break out the Moet if I manage to not shoot down members of my own flight. This probably explains why I now have, as an RFC pilot, more Hun decorations than Entente ones...

To be honest, I think pure luck had a big part to play. I'm often good for 1 or 2 kills per sortie when you consider ammunition and squadmate kills. Flying for RFC 56 means that my squadmates can hold their own and have even 'stolen' a few of my hard won kills. In the above mentioned scrap, the enemy planes just seemed to drift right into my sights at close range. I suspect one or two of those kills were outright pilot kills, meaning I saved ammunition which carried on the next kill. I also credit the lovely SE5a, no wonder it was called the "Ace maker". Even before the viper engine, it's a well powered little machine and a very stable gun platform.

This probably explains why I now have, as an RFC pilot, more Hun decorations than Entente ones...

:rofl: