Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Entente aircraft losses

This was posted over at "The Aerodrome". Does anyone know this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Their-Battlefield-Complete-Casualties/dp/1898697302

"The Sky Their Battlefield" gives a Western Front loss of 5,364 (Appendix I)

or 5,352 (Appendix II) aircraft.

Using a search based on the pilot being killed or taken prisoner the database

has coughed up the following losses for each type:

1. Camel (656)

2. SE5a (308)

3. RE8 (258)

4. DH4 (234)

5. DH9 (215)

6. F2B (213)

7. FE2b (169)

8. Strutter (100)

9. BE2c (94)

10.Nieuport 17 (88)

11. Pup (74)

12. Spad 7 (73)

13. FE2d (60)

14. AW FK8 (56)

15. Dolphin (50)

16. BE2e (48)

17. Triplane (48)

18. Nieuport 23 (39)

19. DH2 (38)

20. DH5 (34)

21. BE2d (32)

22. SE5 (26)

Edited by Olham

Yes Sir, I have seen that book. There is a similar table of aircraft loss totals in Raleigh and Jones, "The War in the Air".

Interesting list also interesting that the Camel has twice as many losses compared to the rest of the Aircraft... But thats also probably due to the Camel being used as a low level Ground attack as well as being shot down by other fighters...

Don't forget that half of all pilot losses in the Camel were due to crashes during training. It was a beast to learn if you were ham-fisted.

it's rather surprising how few of the different AC have been shot down. gives you a sense of how precious it was in real to have a kill, and why you were considered an ace with 5 kills (at least in the beginning). shows a bit how too bloody most ww1 aviation sims are. but i'm sure p4 will take care of that :good:

And until then, I will use your tracers as something that helps to make kills harder. They are really good!

Someone pass me an SE5...might stay alive longer!! :grin:

Yes, indeed! I tried both craft, and must say that the S.E.5a is handling much easier,

flies with similar speed as a SPAD XIII, but turns better.

The S.E.5a is a very good energy fighter you may even turn with - as an Albatros man,

I would prefer it to the Camel.

This was posted over at "The Aerodrome". Does anyone know this book?

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1898697302

"The Sky Their Battlefield" gives a Western Front loss of 5,364 (Appendix I)

or 5,352 (Appendix II) aircraft.

Yes, I have it. It is/was one of the source books from the GoGS used in building Over Flanders Fields - one of several 'bibles'. There is of course, much more to it than just a list of a/c losses, and while it does not cover every incident, it certainly helps paint the picture and colour in many of the details of the war in the air. Trevor has for years been threatening us with a follow-up edition - if it ever appears, I will be in the front row to grab a copy.

Cheers,

shredward

The raw numbers are only half the story though. For a more meaningful picture you'd have to cross-reference it with the length of time the type was in service, the density of contemporaneous air activity and the relative hazard of the 'typical' mission profiles each type undertook et cetera. Each type then would occupy a relevant position in a multi dimensional hypercube.