Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Huricane Earl coming

I am over 1,000 miles inland, but thanks for thinking of anyone who IS in the path of one of these monsters.

I just came back from Charlotte, NC today and it seems that everyone's preparing for the worst (as far as A/C are concerned).

Earl's churning away about 400 nm due South of me ATM, projected track has its eye coming within 100-150 nm just east of me around daybreak, so we may see anything from gale force to tropical storm-strength winds in my area by then.

Correction: Earl is due here tomorrow afternoon, according to this track model at Stormpulse.com

Earl.jpg

Edited by Fubar512

i don't see why charlotte is gettin so worried. fayetteville is closer to the coast and the most we expect is a lil rain over night. bragg is more concerned with the 4 day weekend gettin ruined by a call for help from the outer banks than anything goin on here. hmmm speakin of better roll up my car windows. (fayettenam hurricane preparation:grin: )

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind tha the media takes advantage of every potential (or imagined) disater to boost their ratings...but to be fair, that's been the case as far back as I can remember. What's sad is the behavior of those who read more into these "warnings" than what one should consider sensible.

I remember one of the ones that hit in 2005 they did one of their stupid "send a reporter to stand in the high winds and driving rains to tell people not to go out in the driving rains and winds" bits with a woman who couldn't have been over 5' and 100lbs. She was literally holding on to a street sign with both arms, holding the mike with a free hand and keeping her head down as the 80+ mph winds blew around her. The news anchors back at the studio both said "uh, maybe you should get indoors or under some shelter" because it was obvious this woman was about 10 seconds away from turning into a human kite. Makes you wonder what kind of idiot her producer was if the ANCHORS could see she was in danger.

Earl Post-Script:

belmarjpg-5a82a0bdb1d44e20_large.jpg

Daniel McGillis, who lives off the 8th Ave. beach in Belmar, catches a large wave as he surfs Saturday afternoon. Many New Jersey beaches will permit swimming today.

Most N.J. beaches are permitting swimming after Earl passes

NEW JERSEY SHORE — It appears that it will be business as usual at many Jersey Shore beaches today.

With the effects of Hurricane Earl mostly gone, swimming will be permitted today in Manasquan, Sandy Hook, Sea Bright and Seaside Heights among other places. In Belmar, there will be "limited" access to the ocean, according to the Belmar Beach patrol. On Saturday swimmers were not allowed in the ocean in Belmar. Surfing was allowed. Other New Jersey beaches also had restrictions due to rip currents.

Further south, beaches in Long Beach Township, Ocean City and Wildwood are open to swimmers today.

The National Weather Service calls for sunny skies and temperatures near 80 today along the Shore today. The forecast for Labor Day is nearly identical - warm and sunny with temperatures in the high 70s and low 80s.

Many towns had kept beachgoers out of the water during the past 10 days, citing rough surf conditions and rip currents spawned by Earl and Hurricane Danielle. And those that granted access only allowed people to enter the water up to their ankles or knees.

Despite the improved conditions, swimmers were being urged Sunday to stay in areas where lifeguards are stationed and to not swim alone — even if waters don't appear risky.

source: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/09/shore_beaches_permitting_swimm.html

Edited by Fubar512

well you go NJ! we slept through it here in NC. rain in fayetteville, some scattered lawn furniture on the coast. great deals on vacation pack's too bad i'm in middle of a move this weekend