Sign in to follow this  
Nick Tselepides

Attention Falcon Sx Two

Falcon 62,

That A-10 trapping on the carrier-- is it FS2004 and what did you use for catshots and arresting wires to stop--which addon, I mean?

Nice post BTW....

Cheers

Nick

You ought to teach Navychief how to trap better--seems he is still learning...

Pete,

hope you are fine....

Edited by Nick Tselepides

Hey Nick,

Thanks for the shout! I am doing fine, and am getting better at traps. Seems like the trick to good traps is the approach. I try to give myself enough distance to get lined up and then make my descent gradual and steady. For me, at least, the Prowler is the easiest to control; although I have flown others too. The Tracker is another good one.

Today I downloaded another payware (RealCRT Gauges). Not too expensive at $19, and very nice gauges. Only a few panels use them, and all commercial; but I like them.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tony.dambrosio/

Pete

Falcon 62,

That A-10 trapping on the carrier-- is it FS2004 and what did you use for catshots and arresting wires to stop--which addon, I mean?

Nice post BTW....

Cheers

Nick

Pete,

hope you are fine....

You mean this? http://forum.biohazcentral.com/index.php?showtopic=5664

is it FS2004

Yes, it is.

what did you use for catshots and arresting wires to stop--which addon, I mean?

Believe it or not, nothing. The only addons in those screens are AlphaSim's payware A-10 and the freeware carriers available from SimViation.

How did I cat?

I had to power up to full power, even then, I fell off. If you look carefully at this shot:

carrier2.jpg

you'll see that I was slewing, indicated by my 0.0 KIAS. Without FD3, it'd take the whole 4.5 acres of the deck to get enough airspeed, even then, it might not be enough.

As for the trap, well, my airspeed was suffciently low as to let me slow down once I slammed into the deck, but I still had to use brakes. All that smoke is just the tires burning... :D

Since I don't have FD3, this is the only way I can cat and trap. I'll have to improvise.

Oddly enough, I find trapping somewhat easy. However, this is in a SIMULATED sense. Trapping real life? HELL NO! Besides, FS2004 does not simulate rocking boats, so the deck is stable. All you have to worry about is the crosswind, like in this shot:

carrier5.jpg

I had a bit of crosswind there, so I couldn't make the centerline.

If you can land on the normal runway, like say at NAS Patuxent River, make centerline like 25% of the time, you stand a good chance of trapping in this sim, IMO. To be honest, I rarely land centerline these days, but I can still trap in the sim.

The hard part about trapping in this sim, is lining up with the deck, maintain proper altitude and airspeed, crosswinds, and catching the wires. Since I don't have FD3, catching wires of any sort is out of the question for me. Usually, as I approach the deck, I shut off all power, deploy speedbrakes, and pray that I'll slow down in time... ;)

Teach NC how to trap? LOL! He shouldn't need an Air Force wannabe to teach him. He's Navy, so this should come naturally... :)

If needed, I just may end up posting a cat and trap tutorial, only problem is image quality. Oh well, it might help people out... :D

Falcon,

Thanks for the info--- I know that ordeal, do it too at times...

Navychief,

I was just teasing you out of affection--you're probably a double centurion by now. I looked at the D'Ambrosio gauges---very interesting.

Cheeers

I am lucky in that my wife nevr gives me trouble about flightsimming--often she even urges me to fly, esp. when she wants to be alone and read or do needlework...

By the way, Gramps is back....

Edited by Nick Tselepides