Sign in to follow this  
xclusiv8

Surviving NF4+ 1986 campaign

Has anyone beaten this campaign? Ive tried it a bunch of times but i always get shot down on the first mission. If its not a SAM then its a Su-27.

Do you guys have any tips on how to surive in a enviroment hostile like the campaigns of NF4. Ive tried going high (35,000+ feet) and avoiding the sams easier but thats when the interceptors always get me. If i go low the SAMs and the AAA get me.

I usually fly the F-16 and i dont stand a chance. Or so it seems. I think i need more beer before my next sortie :drinks:

Okay I will admit I have completed the campaign under the dead is dead rules... and managed to bring most of the Squadron home... After action reports are in the SF1 Dead is Dead link... its there because I forgot to post in SF2...

I flew the Tornado F-3 as my weapon of choice and I did manage to bag a few Flankers and Fulcrums with it... Okay advice time not sure where to begin okay as to SAM's I normally cruised around 10000ft and then when I got lit up by the glorious SA-10 etc it was Jam and head downstairs fast which thankfully the F-3 does rather well and then get under 100ft if you pick up a visual on the SAM normally it follows you down and you can start pulling up around 3000ft and the SAM mashes into the ground get below the 100ft mark and the SA-10 loses interest obviously be wary of Guns SA-13's etc... Dealing with Mr Flanker et al... nows where you need that old thing called luck... being brutal hope he locks up your wingmen and you take him out with a close in Radar IRM Gunshot whichever works for you. When he's sending Alamo's your way dont hold back on chaff etc as getting killed with chaff still on board is crazy. Do not be afraid of not completing a sortie if the odds are against you eg an SA-10 11 site covering the Target with Flankers and fulcrums standing around for you as well... you aren't going to survive too long also send your wingies home if you know there are Flankers or Fulcrums about... for me though it was a case of good luck and some serious thought in how I was going to win.

This is the only one I have so far managed to win at I have tried it with other Aircraft F-4G (that though is looking for trouble) Havn't tried with the Falcon though but I think its next on the list... Problem with the Falcon is your a dogfighter not a long range shooter like the Eagle Tornado etc... for me in the Falcon I would fly my sorties wherever I could at low level I mean 200ft low level the threats down low though is the SA-13 its a mean SOB no warning and splash you are out of there... also the zip guns can have fun with you... Stay low and fast pop flares near hostile airbases just in case of mr sa-13 and if Flankers turn up force them down to come down to you do not go to them as their Radar missiles will kill you staying low also negates having to deal with Mr SA-10 and his mates... if you can give up the drop tanks carry a pair of ARM's when you get lit up loose one off and save one for your primary target and fire it when on run in might get the SA-8 you missed or the Zip gun and then make one pass and one pass only and get the heck outta dodge fast...

The problem is balancing the threats to your advantage... Thats the way I did it and I love the F-3 for getting me outta dodge when required...

I managed to to finish the campaign in the Canadian hornet. It is pretty much just as Slartibartfast just said. Being aggresive is key in my opinion. Just try and take out as many threats from BVR as possible. If your flying a strike mission or CAS bring along flight 3 and 4 as cover with AA loadouts and, once your close to your primary target send them to deal with any air threats in the vicinity and send your wingman and flight 2 after ground targets (wingman on primary target)

Hope this helps

Mike

Do you think it's difficult? It is. But try to survive as a Soviet pilot in 1979 or 1986....

Worst radar, worst or not existent ECM, chaff and flares, worst missiles, worst pilots.....

Flying NATO you have to worry to two or three very dangerous enemy units. Flying WP you have to fight literally a whole lot of elite F-15s, Tornado, F-16... In 1986 at least you have some good birds (MiG-29, Su-27, MiG-31...), but in 1979 is the Hell on Earth. A true massacre of your squadron. The rules are the same, stay fast and low. Make surprise attacks, don't have target-fixation...and pray.

Similar tactics should be employed as an Iraqi MiG-29A Pilot in the Operation Desert Storm mod - nightmare!

Bend over and kiss you ass goodbye?

• Like 1