Sign in to follow this  
Red-Dog

Coming soon to a sky near you.

Hi chap's come and get your very own Sopwith tripe and join Black flight for the next installment of Vasco's Volunteers coming to a field near you very soon. Red-dog is now Flying "Black dog" post-45885-066432600 1283542264.jpg

Edited by Red-Dog

To quote from Wikipedia:

By the end of May, the Royal Flying Corps was badly in need of reinforcements, much due to the after-effects of Bloody April. As a result, Collishaw was posted to his previous No. 10 Naval Squadron as a Flight Commander. Collishaw's "B" Flight would be composed entirely of Canadians. Although British commanders had strongly discouraged pilots painting their planes, Collishaw's flight painted their Sopwith Triplanes dead black, and called themselves the All-Black Flight, later known more simply as the Black Flight.

"The aircraft of the All-Black Flight were christened with suitable names. Ellis Reid, of Toronto, flew Black Roger; J. E. Sharman, of Winnipeg, flew Black Death; Gerry Nash, of Hamilton, called his machine Black Sheep; and Marcus Alexander, of Toronto, christened his plane the Black Prince. The flight commander, Collishaw, flew a machine which gloried in the name Black Maria."

During their first two months they claimed a record 87 German aircraft destroyed or driven down.

The next Vasco's Volunteers campaign will encompass the exploits of our own virtual Black Flight during May/June 1917 where we will find ourselves up against the Albatross' of Jasta 11 and other German staffels of note. The campaign starts on Saturday 24 September and will run until 30 October at 7PM GMT, 2PM EST and 11AM PST. Meet up on Black Haze's Teamspeak server as normal.

For those who haven't flown online for some time, join Winston, Red Dog or myself on Teamspeak to test your OFF installation prior to the event.

post-21514-097467800 1283856532.jpg

Regards,

Vasco :pilotfly:

Bugger! I'm in Greece between the 14th and 30th September! Arrgh!

Save me a seat for when I get back please...

Bugger! I'm in Greece between the 14th and 30th September! Arrgh!

Save me a seat for when I get back please...

Oh, all right then. I suppose we'd better considering what's waiting for you in the hangar.......... (We were considering naming her "Black Willy" for Willy Coppitt but we didn't want anyone to start the campaign with an unfair advantage!) :grin:

Regards,

Vasco :pilotfly:

post-21514-099450800 1283892421.jpg

Vasco,

I love it! I'm very touched that you've gone to that trouble - thank you very much indeed. I will confess, if you'd shown me a screen shot of a Tripehound stood on its nose, with the CO beating the pilot about the head with court martial papers for sheer incompetence, then I would have instantly made the connection!

Top stuff, either way; much impressed.

Cheers!

Si

<on edit> - I think Black Head might sound better...

Edited by themightysrc

Hey are you the Dragonfly from the old RB LE squad?

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard