Sign in to follow this  
Dave

New Screen Shots For DCS: A-10 Warthog

logo.gif

Wags has released a new set of screen shots for the upcoming DCS: A-10 Warthog.

We have some work-in-progress screen shots of Nellis AFB from the Nevada map. Although still under development with a fair amount of work still to be done (object placement, lights, and texture debugging), it's at the point that you can get a feel for the base and level of detail.

Yes, that's also a new F-15C model for DCS.

Unlike most other aspects of DCS: A-10C, the Nevada map has been a joint project between the Eagle Dynamics team, luckybob9, and Zimster.

Nellis Ramp 1.jpg

Nellis Ramp 2.jpg

Nellis Ramp 3.jpg

Nellis Ramp 4 .jpg

Nellis Ramp 5.jpg

Nellis Ramp 6.jpg

Nellis Ramp 7.jpg

If you're talking about the 'terrain fade', you should feel right at home.

Living in SA, we both know about that typical summer TX haze....

:biggrin:

FC

PS And that looks like Nellis alright...the terrain around there looks spot on.

Nope, not talking about the terrain. I'm referring to the overall dream-like blurriness/halo of objects. It has a name and its on the tip of my tongue...bloom, that's it. IMHO it ruins what could be a very nice visual experience. Its usually overdone and usually not needed unless they are simulating me walking with watery eyes.

They're also using FSAA and there are many types of ways to do it that affect sharpness.

Looking very promising - I might even buy it if it comes out

So Dave, what do you think of the gameplay of DCS? Is it easy enough to figure out? I got turned off on most modern combat sims because of the complexity. Thus, that's why I like TK's work so much. I liked LOMAC a lot but it's complexity and lack of modability turned me off. Is DCS a little easier like the SF series?

DCS will not be the same as the SF series, if you are a hard core simmer then this is for you. I am looking forward to it because I started out all hard core and always wanted a dedicated A-10 sim. So I will be getting this for sure.

I have Black Shark, bought it the first day it was available. It's awesome in all it's button pushing splendor. I'm looking forward to DCS A-10 as well. I love ground pounding and it's gonna be great to have to do things like the real fighter jock. I would imagine there will be an arcade mode like in Black Shark.

Well the push button splendor is what my 2 CH MFP's are going to be for.

In pretty much every way DCS is the successor to what the Falcon 4 Battlefield Series was going to be. If F4 isn't your cup of tea, I'm afraid these may be as well.

However, if you don't mind things a bit more complicated than SF, I can recommend Lockon Platinum aka Flaming Cliffs 2. It has the A-10A and is only slightly more complex than flying the A-10 in SF2 (ie you have to move the tracking cursor and lock the Mavericks on yourself and not just hit "E" and press fire). It also has the Su-25, 25T, 27, 33, F-15, MiG-29A, and 29G.

Looks like they opened a new page at the A-10 DCS site. Great information there.

A-10 DCS Page

I purchased the early BETA of this sim. The eye candy is outstanding but, I must admit the complexity is a turn off for me. I have no desire to push every button inside the cockpit. If I wanted that kind of realism I'll fly a real aircraft. Even though it is only a Cesna 172 Skyhawk. LOL! With that being said, I would love to have this kind of graphic detail inside a game like Thirdwire's Strike Fighters. I love the Thirdwire series because it let's me get into a number of different aircraft, fly and blow up stuff very quickly. Setting on the ramp and taking 15 minutes to start the aircraft's engines in a game is ridiculous. This is ONLY my opinion and preference. By no means is this statement meant to place A-10C Warthog in a negative light. It is a fantastic piece of software. Just not my thing. Although, I'm still looking forward to the final product.

I must admit I'm still very confused about the whole BETA purchasing experience. I'm not sure if I get the final product for free or if I still have to purchase it once it comes out in retail form. And trying to get each BETA update has been very confusing and difficult as well. I stopped at BETA 2. I believe it is up to BETA 4 now in mid February 2011. I would have liked to have seen an automatic update of the software inside the game itself instead of having to go to web page and physically download the individual BETA updates.

You can just stop and wait for the final release. Access to the beta was a sort of "bonus" for preordering. You actually paid for the final release. You don't have to mess with the beta at all if you don't want to.