Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Hmmmm! Crumpets!

The availability of good Jam or Marmalade or perhaps sweet butter must make it.

Yes, spot on. Butter and raspberry jam or orange marmalade - I'll try both.

You're a pair of heathens.

Crumpets are eaten thus: they are smothered in butter - not unsalted, Herr Mahlo, lest you ask - having been grilled for about three to four minutes per side. They are then hungrily consumed by onlookers, unable to further contain themselves having been tortured by one of the most beguiling sense sensations available to mankind.

Trust me, this is all true.

I sometimes wonder where the erroneous reputation comes from - that is, the one that says that Briddish cuisine is s**te. It's manifestly bollocks - check out the number of Michelin starred restaurants in the UK (if you trust that as a guide!). More to the point, look at the sumptuous riches available in the UK. I'll start you off from Bury - black puddings. Your call!

Well, I have eaten some (southern) "British cuisine", which was awful; but I'd never go so far to

say it all is. Polovski had once made my mouth watering with a recepy or picture of "Shepperd's Pie";

and now you mention "black puddings". I'm sure the local home made cooking could be nice.

And even a well made portion of "Fish & Chips" are alright every now and then.

Oh, and you people over there can frie thin cut steaks, without them getting tough!

A form of art the German's do not master.

I'm a sucker for Hot Crumpets (MUST be hot)...with Butter..and a large spoonful of Honey!....delicious!

Hmmm....

Fish and Chips... Crumpets... Bangers and Mash... Steak and Kidney pudding... Full English fry up Sunday mornings only of course... Bacon butty... Treacle sponge... amongst others to me its all great food...

Its one thing I do miss in Vienna thought there is an Irish Pub that does most of the above quite well...

I'm making them right now - the Crumpets. I'll report.

Now I've made them: "Olham's Home Baked Crumpets" And they were delicious!

The pics show Version 1.0 (don't ask how the Beta version looked!).

Next time I'll vary my recepy with some brown sugar and cinnamon added, and get me some raspberry jam.

You have too much time on ya hands bud! :lol:

Hmm, delightfully unhealthy food. Just what I like! You did remember to have some cognac with the crumpets and coffee, right? :cool:

Speaking of English cuisine, there's bad food and good food in every country. I expect England and the rest of the United Kingdom to be no different in this respect. And the Micheling stars don't necessarily mean you can actually get good food from the restaurant. Often the only thing it means is that you will be served a terribly overpriced portion of food that looks all good and artistic, but doesn't actually fill your stomach and leaves you wondering just why on earth are these people taking such a simple thing as making food so damn seriously? I've often eaten extremely good and inexpensive home-made food in very low budget restaurants or even gas stations that didn't have any Michelin cooks working for them.

Tch!!! Widowmaker, you Crumpet!!!

I would have expected something like: Pretty good for your first attempt!

Or: Hmmm - they look inviting! (But what can you expect from a Crumpet!)

No cognac with the crumpets, Hasse Wind - only hot freshly brewed coffee; it was early in the morning.

The British kitchen is rather under-rated; as well as the French is often overrated.

You just need to find the right places. Everywhere.

Edited by Olham

Heinz Baked Beans on thick buttered toast, with a poached egg on top, and a splash of Lea & Perrins. Simple Perfection. Once begged for that in a posh hotel where I'd been staying (at a client company's expense) for the best part of a month... me having grown bored with the mostly cuisine Francaise menu (very good but too much of a good thing, etc). It was duly served, and divine... but the restaurant manager was muttering under his breath at me for a week!

I know what you mean Dej,

you can have too much of a good thing, & i hate having my food messed about with too much - If it was meant to be a piece of art, then hang it in the blo**dy tate gallery!!

Give me an egg & Bacon sarnie on toasted white bread (NO butter or marg) with lashings of tommy K

- Delicious!!!

As they say... It's the simple pleasures that are the best!

TonyO.

A breakfast I enjoy every now and then on Sunday: HEINZ Baked Beans, a fried egg with fried bacon slices,

a golden brown toast with butter; and a mug of freshly brewed coffee. Paradise can be so simple!

You guys need a good plate of scouse. Stick with the northern grub. The southern softies only know about cooking up the prices :grin:

Scouse is a strange Liverpool concoction that's effectively the leftovers from a Sunday lunch.

Good point about sticking with Northern grub, thobut. A proper full English breakfast simply has to have black pudding as part of it, and you'll only get good black puds around where I live. Having said that, some years spent at university in the North Staffordshire area did rather open my eyes to the beauty of oatcakes, grilled, buttered, with melted cheddar and black pepper. Yum.

I would try anything at least once, before I judged it. Your Black Pudding could be similar to our "Blutwurst"

(your name is much nicer though). Here is a picture of a meal called "Himmel und Erde" (Heaven and Earth).

That is the "German black pudding.