Since I couldn't find a MiG-25 for the SF2 series, I decided to download the Foxbat Pack for the SF1 games. Everything seems to be fine aside from a few issues I was hoping you guys could help me with.

1. The radar on the PD (haven't checked the P) doesn't seem to work. I was directly behind a flight of F-104's around 3 miles away and at their altitude.....nothing showed up on the search mode and it wouldn't lock on when in boresight. Any ideas?

2. Why does the brake parachute housing between the engines stay open? I can't get it to close.

3. Why won't the center pylon show up on the P/PD variants to allow me to load the PTB-5500 fuel tank? I checked the weight and adjust what the pylon could hold weight-wise.....yet the option doesn't even appear in the loadout screen. On the MiG-25RB, the centerline is there because of the bombs you can load there, but there is no option to load the tank.

Thoughts?

Use the Mig-25 in the NATO Fighters 4+ pack...it shuold be good to go.

going the NF4+ route dont forget to get the effects and weapons you need for that Foxbat.

If I recall, PVO 25s never carried the tanks. If I'm right, the loadout is right.

In my strategic game, I plan to enable the tanks for later versions (including hysterically non built versions with upgraded R-15s).

Doesn't NF4+ add new weapons and stuff to the game? This time around I'm taking things slow and only adding things as I feel like I need them. For some reason the game can be very sluggish on my laptop (specs wise my computer should run it with little trouble....I can't figure out why I have to turn the graphics down so far), so I'm trying not to add a ton of new things to the game at once. As much as I might enjoy it, I feel like adding NF4 would not only duplicate work I've done modding the stock aircraft, but it would add stuff to the game and slow it down too much for me.

Is the NF4 Foxbat the only way to get them to work properly? None of what I mentioned can be fixed with simple .ini edits? (the only form of modding I'm capable of...lol)

Doesn't NF4+ add new weapons and stuff to the game? This time around I'm taking things slow and only adding things as I feel like I need them. For some reason the game can be very sluggish on my laptop (specs wise my computer should run it with little trouble....I can't figure out why I have to turn the graphics down so far), so I'm trying not to add a ton of new things to the game at once. As much as I might enjoy it, I feel like adding NF4 would not only duplicate work I've done modding the stock aircraft, but it would add stuff to the game and slow it down too much for me.

Is the NF4 Foxbat the only way to get them to work properly? None of what I mentioned can be fixed with simple .ini edits? (the only form of modding I'm capable of...lol)

Well you can always just copy the MiG-25s folder from NF4 and plonk it in your current install with the weps you need.

High end systems need to turn the settings down with SF2 so I would defo expect it needs to be done on a Laptop.

The radar settings can all be changed in the avionics.ini

Brake parachute was part of the model - not an ini edit I think.

The sad thing is I got my laptop with certain things that I thought would make it very compatible with the new SF2 series games...lol. Only bought it back in May.

In any case I'll give the MiG-25 from the NF4+ pack a try. It's just the interceptor models where the radar doesn't work. The RB seems fine so I shouldn't have to do anything with it.

Still no idea what is wrong with the external tank thing, so I might just give up on that part.

Wish me luck. I'd like to have a useful Foxbat in this new game.

Coop:

For the NF4+ version, make sure you grab the updated files from both the first and second update pack:

http://combatace.com/files/file/11099-nato-fighters-4-patch-post-dec-2009-patch-level/

http://combatace.com/files/file/11300-nato-fighters-iv-post-dec2009-update-pack-2/

The NF4+ version of the MiG-25PD does have a working radar as well as the ability to carry the centerline PTB5500 tank.

Eric Howes

I feel you CoopF4, I'm stuck with a laptop for the foreseeable future too. There are a few things that can ease your pain. If you're on Vista/Windows7 ditch the fancy DX10 stuff, force DX9 on via the game ini (can't remember which one, I'm sure someone round here can chip in on what it's called exactly), use the fake DX10 version via the .dll download linked to here somewhere (again forgot the name exactly as I'm borrowing someone elses lappy) It might seem strange, but the fake DX10 for DX9 ends up giving me better FPS than using DX10, maybe it will work for you too. Unfortunately the major thing with most of the best mods for me are the insanely huge skin resolutions. Even just one plane in there with 2048 or even higher skins pull my laptop down to a crawl even though it can handle everything else thrown at it from the bigger mod packs 99% of the time. It is a PITA but it is possible to go in and manually resize all the skins for all the aircraft to get them down to at least 1024 or less, that's when I notice a huge difference in playability from making a brew inbetween each frame to actually playing the game. Hope that helps.

I always find it amusing when people buy laptops for gaming....

Some of us have jobs that require us to be on the road half the year pal. And the other half of the year is filled with spending quality time with the wife and kids.

So having a gaming laptop is sometimes the solution needed to be able to indulge our hobby at all.

It's easy to be amused when you have no real responsibilities.

FC

It is a PITA but it is possible to go in and manually resize all the skins for all the aircraft to get them down to at least 1024 or less, that's when I notice a huge difference in playability from making a brew inbetween each frame to actually playing the game. Hope that helps.

I don't think you have to do that...if you go into the FLIGHTENGINE.INI files, you'll note these entries:

[LowDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=45000.0

DetailMeshSize=3

DetailLevel=0

WaterEffect=0

NoiseTexture=0

MaxTextureRes=128

[MedDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=50000.0

DetailMeshSize=4

DetailLevel=0

WaterEffect=1

NoiseTexture=0

MaxTextureRes=256

[HighDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=60000.0

DetailMeshSize=5

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=2

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=512

[unlimitedDetailOption]

HorizonDistance=75000.0

DetailMeshSize=6

DetailLevel=1

WaterEffect=2

NoiseTexture=1

MaxTextureRes=-1

I believe by adjusting the 'MaxTextureRes' lines to the appropriate size you want, the engine will resize the maps before loading them into memory. I've done this and it works great!

FC

That's awesome, trust me to have been going around the houses with no need whatsoever, cheers for sharing! drinks.gif

Some of us have jobs that require us to be on the road half the year pal. And the other half of the year is filled with spending quality time with the wife and kids.

So having a gaming laptop is sometimes the solution needed to be able to indulge our hobby at all.

It's easy to be amused when you have no real responsibilities.

FC

Agreed. Laptops are also easier for those of us called up to nice burning hot places and when home easier to secure form curious 4 year old hands.

I always find it amusing when people buy laptops for gaming....

I have 2 gaming laptops, a Dell XPS M1530 and a Alienware M11. That Alienware alone smokes most desktops. So yes you can game from a laptop.