Sign in to follow this  
krgf15

OHHHH NOOO VIDEO CARD FRIED!

No Wings over Vietnam for me for about 6 more weeks........................................:(

NewEgg

My favorite computer store...

Edited by Major Lee

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Press it! (It won't give your bank cash to terrorists)

That is the greatest website I have ever seen

NewEgg

My favorite computer store...

Thats where I got it from late in '07 The trick is going to be getting a new 256 or better PCI 16 video card so that I dont have to re-build my whole computer. I would like to go 512 this time but who knows.

Unlucky and good luck with finding a suitable replacement. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had.

The same thing happened to me just before Christmas. Which motherboard are you using because I had an '07 ASUS mainboard that I had to replace because it didn't support PCI-E 2.0. What was supposed to be an inexpensive replacement turned into a costly rebuild that put my machine out of action for 2 months!

PS. That link is great, I must remember that next time something goes wrong...

Unlucky and good luck with finding a suitable replacement. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had.

The same thing happened to me just before Christmas. Which motherboard are you using because I had an '07 ASUS mainboard that I had to replace because it didn't support PCI-E 2.0. What was supposed to be an inexpensive replacement turned into a costly rebuild that put my machine out of action for 2 months!

PS. That link is great, I must remember that next time something goes wrong...

Well hopefully I get lucky the computer expert dude that I work with is telling me that my motherboard will support PCI 16 2.0 so we will see. Otherwise, I dont know how Im going to live without any flight simulators they are the only thing keeping me saneshok.gif

Why six weeks?

Lack of funds? Get a last gen 4000 series card, if you are fundamentalist ATI camp. 5000 series is phony *now* -- maybe 0% to 20% faster per comparable 4000 card, at about 150% price over 4850s. I don't know anything about Nvida. 4850 screams StrikeFighters and you can gettem at Newegg for maybe 100 Ameros (lol dollars) -- they may be goin up in price now; getting rare. Get one soon and avoid 5000 price until they drop and maybe by then DX~11 will offer major improvements to games. A working used 4850 would be good also to keep you going full burner.

Why six weeks?

Lack of funds? Get a last gen 4000 series card, if you are fundamentalist ATI camp. 5000 series is phony *now* -- maybe 0% to 20% faster per comparable 4000 card, at about 150% price over 4850s. I don't know anything about Nvida. 4850 screams StrikeFighters and you can gettem at Newegg for maybe 100 Ameros (lol dollars) -- they may be goin up in price now; getting rare. Get one soon and avoid 5000 price until they drop and maybe by then DX~11 will offer major improvements to games. A working used 4850 would be good also to keep you going full burner.

Six weeks because i'm a single military parent with 4 kids going through a dirty divorce lol . Not alot of funds here!!!

Yea I didn't catch the hint you dropped about your last card being a 256. That must be Nv so yea stay there and avoid the driver conflicts I've heard about. I never learned Nv's designation system for their cards.

Until this year, I was running SF1 on lower settings with fanless ATI 4550 (about 40$ now) but it kept me in the air so to speak. If you can't wait six weeks, can you get a cheap lower end last generation Nv for maybe 40$ now?

What happened to your last card? Besides fried. Did the fan stop working? I made the decision to go totally fanless because of crapp like that in the past. Gigabyte made a fanless 4850 and equivalent fanless Nvida card. They were designed to run movies I guess without a loud dedicated card fan (silent movies haha), with some case airflow though, but I keep mine (4850) very cool with a case fan blowing directly on it -- a case fan I choose. They both (Nv & ATI versions) shared the same titanic heatsink which was the best video card heatsink out there. They are gone from Newegg though now.

Yea I didn't catch the hint you dropped about your last card being a 256. That must be Nv so yea stay there and avoid the driver conflicts I've heard about. I never learned Nv's designation system for their cards.

Until this year, I was running SF1 on lower settings with fanless ATI 4550 (about 40$ now) but it kept me in the air so to speak. If you can't wait six weeks, can you get a cheap lower end last generation Nv for maybe 40$ now?

What happened to your last card? Besides fried. Did the fan stop working? I made the decision to go totally fanless because of crapp like that in the past. Gigabyte made a fanless 4850 and equivalent fanless Nvida card. They were designed to run movies I guess without a loud dedicated card fan (silent movies haha), with some case airflow though, but I keep mine (4850) very cool with a case fan blowing directly on it -- a case fan I choose. They both (Nv & ATI versions) shared the same titanic heatsink which was the best video card heatsink out there. They are gone from Newegg though now.

Well basically all I know is that my monitor won't even turn on unless I hook it to the motherboard. It wont register with either port on the video card, and my computer isnt even registering it. I downloaded the driver from the NV website, and it wont install because it said components cant be found.

If you have not, try reseating the card. Sometimes things come loose. One good reason to have a low end cheap card laying around is to confirm an expensive gaming card is bad, and not some other component like motherboard.

Open up the case and check the fan on the video card and make sure it turns and/or isn't caked with dust. They do burn out, it happens, but just make sure that's what happened to you.

My favorite parts place.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/ :good:

I have had tremendous service with these guys. They usually ship same day.

They are also CompUSA now. They bought CompUSA several years ago when they(CompUSA) were going belly up. They closed most stores except for a couple.

They are now opening stores back up. 11 so far.

There is also a website called 'pricewatch'

Good Luck!!

Tiger -- CompUSA is great, but Newegg often has more unconventional stuff I like now, but also frozencpu for DIY stuffing that you won't find at Newegg or Amazon. They're a great operation, highly recommended by [H]ardocp. But if I can find "normal" stuff at CompUSA, I'll go there. A few years back, Compusa had all their motherboards lined up on a shelf, out of box, and you could examine them, feel them. Tiger stopped that. Basically, every motherboard put out like that is a write off. The enthusiast -- gamer -- stuff can be very expensive with low sales numbers, and its the enthusiasts that would most like to touch them, not the buyers of the higher volume low cost stuff. Anyways I liked the setup but I understand why they stopped it.

Basically::

Its easy to write off one 50$ motherboard when you sell 100 of them in a month.

Its painful to write off one 200$ motherboard when you sell 2 of them in a month.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

Also you can find great deals on E-bay

LMAO chamo,man u got gud link,post if u hv any more.lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

Well if you want it, I have both a 3dFX Voodoo 3 and a Voodoo 5 looking for a good home. They are both PCI and free. Yeah, I know they aren't cutting edge anymore, but they get you back in the air until something else comes along. If you want em', let me know. Shipping is free.

I appreciate it, but one of my soon to be SSGT's hooked me up yesterday with a geforce 7900 gs that will tide me over till I upgrade to a 512 mb card