Sign in to follow this  
joif

Campaign n00b questions SF2:E

Is there any point allowing your wingman to carry BVR missiles? Considering they wont engage your target unless your close enough to visually track and some of the earlier AIM-9's arent exactly deadly.. your wingman just ends up being a distraction, would be ideal if you could co-ordinate with your wingman so you can engage two targets simultaniously BVR without having to get into a scrappy dogfight with more maneuverable aircraft.

Also with the Harrier GR3 Campaigns are they possible? No ECM, or countermeasures or basic threat detector or are they particulary fast so you become a sitting duck to SAMS, I can dodge missiles easy enough flying low when I can identify the launch site whilst on way to targets, but if there is a SAM in the target zone they tend to wipe out half my flight before I can locate it and take it out or flying at altitude I have difficulty locating the incoming missile to dodge it effectively. One recon mission in particular I went on the waypoints must have took me over 4 sam sites on the way there and another 4 on the way back and there was no way to divert around them without running into more.

So is it better fly extremely low try and dodge any missiles, or get as much height as possible and hope there is enough range to outrun a missile?

Is there any point allowing your wingman to carry BVR missiles? Considering they wont engage your target unless your close enough to visually track and some of the earlier AIM-9's arent exactly deadly.. your wingman just ends up being a distraction, would be ideal if you could co-ordinate with your wingman so you can engage two targets simultaniously BVR without having to get into a scrappy dogfight with more maneuverable aircraft.

Also with the Harrier GR3 Campaigns are they possible? No ECM, or countermeasures or basic threat detector or are they particulary fast so you become a sitting duck to SAMS, I can dodge missiles easy enough flying low when I can identify the launch site whilst on way to targets, but if there is a SAM in the target zone they tend to wipe out half my flight before I can locate it and take it out or flying at altitude I have difficulty locating the incoming missile to dodge it effectively. One recon mission in particular I went on the waypoints must have took me over 4 sam sites on the way there and another 4 on the way back and there was no way to divert around them without running into more.

So is it better fly extremely low try and dodge any missiles, or get as much height as possible and hope there is enough range to outrun a missile?

I *think* that if you lock up a target on radar and use CTRL+R you can visually target it even if it's out of visual range. Then if you give your wingman an attack my target command, I *think* they'll use BVR missiles if they have them. Haven't tried it in a while though.

And yes, the GR3 campaigns can be tough. Are you running Nato Fighters 4+? That makes things even trickier, with all the extra red sam's and aircraft added. Any way, low and fast is the key, IMO.

Stay low and fast in the Harrier... its the only way to survive. If running the Nato 4+ Campaign you are in for a world of hurt its one of the toughest Campaigns to fly due to SAM's and the fact against most Red Jets you can't run away... When I say low stay under 200ft and around 500knots but be aware around Airfields if there are SA-13's about as they really really ruin your day...

Thanks I didnt think about Ctrl+R I will try that later, low and fast is the key then eh.. My ground crew must hate having to pull all the branches and leafs out from the fuselage. Not running NATO4 at the moment but I do have it ready to install once I have done with the default aircraft. I like the difficulties of using primitive equipment and weapons etc.

Edited by joif

My wingmen use BVR misiles whenever I tell them to engage air, even when the bogies are blips the radar. :blink:

As for Harrier the trick is simple - don't forget you have no armor and don't wait until you get a launch warning. Run for the hills on "Track" tone.

My wingmen use BVR misiles whenever I tell them to engage air, even when the bogies are blips the radar. :blink:

As for Harrier the trick is simple - don't forget you have no armor and don't wait until you get a launch warning. Run for the hills on "Track" tone.

Lol no 3 & 4 are fine as you say they have no problem engaging BVR, its your no.2 who wont leave your side

Well for no.2 you have to give him the order " Attack my target".. Which mean you have to assign him the target you have..

When you want 2. to roam free try telling him to "Break". He'll leave formation and find something to occupy himself with a few seconds after that.

How can I get the mission generator to generate more heavy bomber intercepts? If I just download and install more russian heavy bombers will they get featured into the single mission randomisation?

The upcoming expansion pack will add a mission builder to the game so you can make them yourself, but for now you just have to choose intercept as mission type and roll the dice. I don't know what random pick is used to choose enemies in the single mission generator, but as far as I can tell it just chooses a plane at random that fits the requirements of year, terrain, and side.