• Scouts 50%
    • Scouts 25-50%
    • Two-seaters almost always
  3. 3. Where do you fly?

• Flanders/north
    • Somme/middle
    • Alsace/south
    • I like to spread it around

After seeing Olham's excellent poll, I was inspired to come up with my own (although not as excellent). This one asks about the frequency in which you like to fly for one side or another and whether you fly both scouts and two-seaters or only one or the other.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Despite what you said in your post, HPW, I think this is also an excellent poll. :grin:

I fly scouts (the Fee IS a scout, dammit!) almost exclusively because I'm a fighterpilot, not a mud-mover. I do the occasional non-scout career but usually don't find them very enjoyable due to the way mission type is picked randomly and how most mission types boil down to the same thing: follow the waypoints.

I only fly in the northern part of of the front (the Brit areas) because that's the only sector that's really "finished". The dearth of French and lack of US 2-seaters gives those parts of the front a very unfinished feel. I also only fly in 1917 and 1918. First off, 1915-1916 is even less-finished than 1918 over the Argonne. But that doesn't bother me much because I really don't enjoy flying the early birds anyway. I much prefer planes with at least early 1917 performance.

I enjoy being the underdog so I usually fly only in early 1917 and late 1918, for King and Kaiser, respectively.

I am currently involved in a campaign in July 1917 with Esc. 152 in Alsace, flying N24's. So far, all I have seen are Albatros varients. It's still exciting, but it would be more interesting if there were some two-seaters around besides the Strutter.

I also generally like to fly the mid 1917-1918 planes. I'm too impatient with the under-powered types.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Interesting to see, that Question #1 seems to show: most of us are flying both sides equally.

Must admit for most of my flying I have been driving the wonderful Strutter about with RNAS 5 (I think gray cells aren't working too well this morning) up near the Channel... As I am trying to work out how best to fly it without spreading it all over the mud and back... So mostly British for me as well.

Good Poll...and so far..pretty much the answers one would expect

What BH said essentially.

If P4 sees expansion in the right areas - and we all know what they should be - then it will be interesting to repeat the poll six months after P4 comes out.

<on edit/reflection>

The 1915/16 careers are only unsatisfactory, IMO, due to the variety of opponents and the slightly weird BE2. They're essentially slow burners, and I've found the career of a BE pilot to be more than satisfactory, if you're happy to invest. I know that some prefer to jump into 1917/18 for very obvious reasons, but one shouldn't forget that this is a sim that lends itself beautifully to immersion in any period of WWI, and that, to my mind, is very visible in 1915/16, as you have to project more. There's more subtlety and less immediacy than 1917/18, but I appreciate that this is probably a very minority view.

Edited by themightysrc

Yer not alone, mighty - a very good pleading for the early years, which I fully agree with!

I also tend to like the early years. It's just that I'm not very good at actually flying the early-war planes!

Try the Halberstadt with Jasta 1, in August 1916, Chris - nice time and weather, nice Jasta with aces to help you,

and the Halberstadt is an easy to fly and reliable fighter with a good dive ability. I begin to love it!

Thanks, Olham, I will give Jasta 1 a try--perhaps as a journal of a very young pilot who is so green that he is adopted as the squadron mascot by the more experienced pilots--probably due to the laughs his flying skills give to the other pilots!