I read somewhere that the GR.3 had some kind of laser device in the nose. What i cannot find out is if this device was used to designate targets for LGB or not. Can someone plz shed some light on this question.

Thank you!

Nope.

It was a Laser for ranging and to see marked targets ( by other lasers ), named LRMTS ( Laser Ranger (and) Marked Target Seeker )

No 1 Squadron tried to designate targets in the last days of the Falklands War ( 2 a/c, one "bomber" and one "designator" which flew behind the bomber to have enough time to mark the target) , but that was due to false information they received.

The LRMTS laser was incompatible with the LGB's . wavelenght stuff etc.

Avery good book about Harrier action where this is mentioned in detail and which also goes somewhat into tech stuff and attack profiles is

RAF Harrier Ground Attack Falklands by Jerry Pook

Harrier At War by Alfred Price also has some good info, about the special Jammer pod and Shrike modification for the Harrier ( finished too late

to see action )

I read somewhere that the GR.3 had some kind of laser device in the nose. What i cannot find out is if this device was used to designate targets for LGB or not. Can someone plz shed some light on this question.

Thank you!

The Harrier GR3 was fitted with a Laser Ranger and Marked Target Seeker (LRMTS) in the extreme nose. The Jaguar GR1 & Tornado GR1 had LRMTS too, fitted in the nose and under the forward fuselage respectively. I cribbed the text below from Jane's:

"The LRMTS is a dual-purpose unit which can be used as a self-contained laser ranger or as a target seeker with simultaneous range-finding. In the target seeking role it can be used to detect and attack any target designated by ground troops with a compatible laser, enhancing the effectiveness of battlefield close air support. The LRMTS is an Nd:YAG laser mounted in a stabilised cage, which allows beam-pointing and stabilisation against aircraft movement.

The seeker can detect marked targets outside the head movement limits. It operates at a relatively high pulse repetition frequency, thus allowing continuous updating of range information during ground attack. As range is a crucially important parameter for accurate weapon delivery, and yet virtually unobtainable on a non-laser-equipped aircraft, the LRMTS is a vital additional sensor.

In a typical operation, a forward air controller with pulsed laser target-designation equipment directs the aircraft to a location within laser detection range before switching on the ground marker equipment. Radio communications between the forward air controller and aircraft crew are minimised and positive identification of even small, hidden or camouflaged targets is assured.Once the LRMTS has detected the laser energy reflected from the target it provides steering commands to the pilot on the head-up display. Ranging data is also shown and fed directly into weapon aiming computations for the accurate and automatic release of weapons."

What the LRMTS _cannot_ do, is self-designate for LGBs. Some of our GR3 pilots tried this anyway during the closing days of the Falklands War, but the frequencies etc were all wrong. They had to rely instead on ground-based designation of LGB targets.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Thanks guys :drinks: That explains it all.

I have one more question if its not to much. On the wiki page for the GR.3 it says that the GR.3 was upgraded with an RWR. Was it an actual RWR or was it a audio only RWR?

RWR was audio and vector / thread direction ,, but only quadrant-based direction , AFAIK

British EW stuff is always hush hush, not much to find

Parts of the RWR was mounted directly on the HUD base, above the crash pad

There are some pics around the nbet but none of it has a clear view

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Hawker-Siddeley-Harrier/0267143/L/

RWR was audio and vector / thread direction ,, but only quadrant-based direction , AFAIK

British EW stuff is always hush hush, not much to find

Parts of the RWR was mounted directly on the HUD base, above the crash pad

There are some pics around the nbet but none of it has a clear view

http://www.airliners...rier/0267143/L/

Have i missed that feature in the game or is it not present?

I cant find it in the cockpit. There is only audio.

img00058.JPG

TK didn't have info and didn't model the panel.

Be happy you get full audio. AFAIK, the original system showed direction and warned about tracking but didn't detect launch.