Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Over G Fighters... worth it?

OK... I guess it's $8 used, so the answer is probably "yes"...

Anyone played it? What do you think? I have the Saitek AV8R for my 360, which I got when I bought BoP. I sold BoP because I was so disappointed with it (impossible to see anything in simulation mode, in the other modes it felt like "kill target, next target button, turn at it, kill it, repeat) that I sold it.

I love the SF2 series, but I'm finding it harder and harder these days to find time to sit and set up my laptop w/ free-track and play some flight simulators. Plus, as all the great mods come out, my graphics settings are having to be set lower and lower to keep the game playable. My 360 can give me better graphics and is a little better for a "quick fix".

So, what are your thoughts? Should I give it a try? Or am I better off taking $8 and wiping... uh... you get the point.

Edited by malibu43

I remember playing it on xbox 360 about 4 years ago - didn't like it. From what I remember it was too arcadish for my taste and the controls were horrible. I was playing with a pad though, so you should have a better experience with proper joystick. Good luck!

It is possible to remove the arcade like features.

However, the controls are sluggish on all the aircraft. Even F-16s and the F-22. The AI seems to have God Missiles that never miss. But the cockpits are nice and carrier landings are fun.

Just like the Wings Over series a fun game to jump into and have fun without the crazy learning curve of some sims like Microsoft sims and Falcon 4.0

For $8, you probably won't have any regrets buying it like I did for about $30 at the time. They went for a realistic game on a console and wound up making some of the most sluggish, undermodeled FM's I've ever seen.

Now, if these planes were at max loadout, I could see (and expect) such a performance issue, but I'd be flying at about 50% fuel, guns only, no missiles on any rails and still have a terrible pitch and roll rate, and piss-poor G authority/build at all but high-subsonic/supersonic speeds (by this, I mean you'll have difficulty maintaining, say, a 4G turn in an F-14 at 350kts, full burner, at 50% fuel with no missiles remaining).

With the missions having you fight multiple aircraft and expending your missiles early on, then having you engage a second set after a short FMV sequence with maybe 1 or 2 heaters and your guns left, it got frustrating quick going up against a fully loaded MiG-29, or Su-27 in a plane that still handles like a pig.

You might like it, and for only $8, it's probably worth checking out, but I am definitely not a fan.

I got it for $15 and like it well enough. It's not over-the-top like Ace Combat, but it's...well, I'd say it's like a TW sim with everything on easy except the enemy AI. That's roughly what the flying is like. The game itself plays different, though, with highly scripted missions.

For $8, you will easily get your money's worth.