Sign in to follow this  
SFP1Ace

Alternative Armour Pack

Alternative Armour Pack

Alternative Armour Pack

This armour pack is my humble attempt to make ground war somewhat more "accurate". It's been created with SF2:E/NF4+ in mind, but it should be easy to adapt it to other mods/installs. Several "new" tanks have been created, but due to my lack of modelling skills they're only ini edits. Other tanks (both TW and community ones) have been tweaked.

"New" stuff:

- Chieftain mk2, mk5 & mk11 (edited stock Centurions);

- 120MM L11 gun for Chieftain, parameters optimized for the L15 APDS round;

- Leopard 1 (edited stock Leopard 1A1);

- M1 IP (edited M1 Abrams from NF4+);

- M60A1 AOS (edited stock M60A1);

- M60A3 (edited Pasko's & Kesselbrut's M60A3)

- T-80B (edited T-80BV by SWS, BPAo, Fubar512 & 331Killerbee)

Modified stuff:

- 120MM L44 customized for '80s M829 APFSDS round);

- Centurions (mk5,6,8,10,13), Leopard (1A1-1A5), Leopard 2A4, M1, M1A1, M48 (A2 & A3), M60A1, T-54, T-55, T-62A, T-72A, T-80BV;

Modifications inlclude following changes/corrections:

- tank's weight;

- armor values have been changed to RHA equivalents against Kinetic Energy rounds. Angled plates have been taken into account whenever possible. Late tanks (T-72, T-80, Abrams, Leo 2) armor RHA values have been greatly influenced by data presented in "Armor Basics" created by Paul Lasowski & included in Steel Beasts;

- number of gun rounds carried;

- presence (or lack thereof) of nightsight, gun stabilization;

- rangefinder & ballistic computer values;

- service entry dates.

I "hope" all this changes enhance accuracy but please bear in mind that:

- SF series is about flying and the ground war aspect is kind off limited;

- I'm no guru, I pulled the data from the Internet, therefore it might not be actually accurate, lol;

- there's no easy way to calculate RHA values, info on the net can vary significantly from source to source; if you have some good/reliable literature where these are well/reliably documented for many cold war tanks and their variants/sub-types you're welcome to share ;)

If you find any bugs/errors, please let me know so I can correct it.

INSTALLATION:

Back up your stuff first, so you can revert changes if you don't like them! Unzip archive and copy Objects folder to your mod directory (usually "C:\Users\Username\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe\" when using Vista/7). If you want M60A3 & T-80B\BV to show up you'll need to download them from CA (I didn't include lod files or textures). M60A3 is included in US Armour Pack, T-80BV is, well T-80BV. For T-80B copy T-80BV lod files into it's directory. If you don't have NF4+ installed you'll have to get the M1 Abrams from the US Armour Pack as well. And obviously if you want all the "new" stuff to show up in a campaign, you'll have to modify campaign data file. For starters I suggest replacing British Division's Leos with Chieftains in 1979 & 1986 campaigns.

If you're still lost PM me :).

Enjoy!

SFP1Ace

CREDITS:

Pasko & Kesselbrut (M60A3)

SWS, BPAo, Fubar512 & 331Killerbee (T-80BV)

NF4+ Team/Kesselbrut (M1 Abrams)