Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Doom 3 - Wow!

Well, I just got done playing some of the most intense FPS I've ever played. Best Buy had Doom3 on the shelves here today, so I ran over and picked it up. I've been playing for an hour or so, and I have to say it's definately one of the creepiest damn games I've ever played. ;)

It's running pretty good on my 9600Pro/2.2Ghz box here, with settings to medium (800x600).

see? medium 800x600

Lo-mac would run VERY nice if you set it to medium 800x600

People just complain because they think Lomac uses a inferior engine.

Just bought Doom 3 last night can you believe that in a game as high tech is this you have to actually hold a damn flashlight. I mean come on this is in the future they give you a pistol an a flashlight.

I could have bought the game called Walmart Security Wars an had a better choice of weapons.

The game is very dark so you need light an theres nothing worse than having one of those monsters standing right next to you in the blackness an scarying the poop out of ya. I have to go from holding my weapon to holding the flashlight

You dont even have flares like Alien Vrs Pred 2. Anyways for the graphics an creepyness I give this game 8 stars ot of 10. It pretty system friendly to an you can config it for many system specs. They give you at least

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Just loaded my copy.

Note that multiplayer game supports only 4 persons per game.

Anyone up for some 2v2 later?

Cheers

Beer

Installing now...mooohaaahahahaahahaa

That game is intense as hell! And I love the way you manually use computer terminals!

I haven't even completed the 1st level yet...and I LOVE THIS GAME... man is it intense.... Just ask Beer...

We played some MP tonite...great fun

<C>

Fates

Yell the next time you try MP, I would like to try it out. As for location, I've fought my way back to the Marine HQ and am currently fighting my way through Alpha labs and Administration. And you are right, it's a damn freaky game, I jumped several times tonight. ;)

Heh. I counted 5 installs in this thread... maybe it's worth opening a Doom 3 section under the Tactical Sim/FPS forum to keep track of the gameplay, post screenshots, news tidbits and updates from the developers as they stream through. :D

Good Idea, I'll create one tonight.

Awesome, MadJeff. Thanks.

I look forward to seeing some screens of baddies lurking in the foreboding darkness..... :o

Good Idea, I'll create one tonight.

Gotta break at work...already done.

<C>

Fates

While, the Doom series has never really interested me, I'd like to see some screenshots if you ever find some part of the game that has enough light to take one :D

OK,

Just got done with Marine HQ, and I'm finding this game really impressive. Yet, I think it's waaaay too dark. It's like gun, flashlight, gun, flashlight, gun, flashlight, gun, gun, GUN, OMFG GUUUUUUUN!!!!! AAAAAAAHHH! For those who read this, imagine that with graphics. Really scary graphics. I mean scary....like poop my pants kind of scary. That's D3 in a nutshell. I just hope the game isn't this dark throughout.

While, the Doom series has never really interested me, I'd like to see some screenshots if you ever find some part of the game that has enough light to take one :D

ALready started..I'll have many more screens over the next few days...

<C>

Fates

OK,

Just got done with Marine HQ, and I'm finding this game really impressive. Yet, I think it's waaaay too dark. It's like gun, flashlight, gun, flashlight, gun, flashlight, gun, gun, GUN, OMFG GUUUUUUUN!!!!! AAAAAAAHHH! For those who read this, imagine that with graphics. Really scary graphics. I mean scary....like poop my pants kind of scary. That's D3 in a nutshell. I just hope the game isn't this dark throughout.

http://doom3.filefront.com/

This site has a mod which you can use your flashlight with your gun at the same time. There are also a lot of other mods as well so it's a good site.

Found this thread today some might make use of this.

In your DOOM 3 directory, find "DoomConfig.cfg" (x:\Program Files\Doom 3\base). Open DoomConfig.cfg in Notepad.

The following edits will help improve texture cacheing in SP mode. Helps smooth out the visuals.

seta image_useCache "1" <== defaults to "0"

seta image_cacheMegs "256" <== should be half your ram, default to 20

seta image_cacheMinK "25600"

com_showmemoryusage 1

Flashlight is _impulse 11 - I bound to MOUSE2

To get to the editor CTRL+ALT+~ and type "editor" (without the quotes)

http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Edited by Creepy847

I've heard about this not too long ago.... but, honestly, They've got one hell of a problem with Multiplayer.

MP keeps these games on peoples hard drives long after they've mastered the SP aspect.....

MP also is a huge determination on which game owners will come back and buy an add-on

<C>

Fates