Sign in to follow this  
DanW

Expansion pack 2 mission editor teaser 2

Remember all work in progress and subject to change. The ground stuff is still raw and very much work in progress. You can assign a loiter time at a way point for aircraft to circle, and well, loiter.

enjoy

post-38-028325700 1284088217.jpg

post-38-028380700 1284088255.jpg

post-38-037939500 1284088273.jpg

post-38-014892400 1284088320.jpg

Epic!

What he said!!!!

Altitude and airspeed assignments...interesting...VERY interesting...

FC

Ground unit bearing assignment and chance of happening is kinda cool. I'm game to try creating a convoy support mission when you won't know when and where ambush might strike along the way. Not to mention more random AR.

Actually what I keep thinking of lately is Strike Commander would be that much easier to make...

FC

I'd like to see a landing base that isn't the originating base!

W00t!

:grin:

Damn... now I am seriously intrigued loiter times height and speeds etc this is getting to be very very interesting... must have...

repeat the mantra...

Must have patience must have patience...

Thanks for the update...

The parked aircraft drop down menu makes me curious, I wonder if it will be possible to select what is parked at your base? probably too much to hope for, but it would be a great feature.

Excellent teaser. Can't wait for having it in my hands!!

I wonder, if it'll be able to set overcast layer to almost ground level thus making ground radar and ILS useful.

I supose you all guys are wondering the same, but will be nice If TK can confirm If the carriers (even in the MOD theatres) will be selectable as takeoff and landings bases. That feature will add so much potential!!

I wonder if that loiter time feature will cure that little headache of having your wingmen hang around the target area even after you depart and order them to regroup.

Just a heads up. The loiter thing with plane circling should work with the AI aircraft radar search cones, as long as they are armed with RHM missiles -- no RHM, no AI radar search. As the AI circle, a target far away can come into the circling AI's defined search cone. This can make an interesting new dimension to the game. For example:

Consider a very low altitude AI aircraft with big radar search range circling slowly just above its airfield. This can roughly gameulate ground control radar. Although the aircraft is already airborne, its low and slow circling its airfield. Hay its a start!!

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

no RHM, no AI radar search

I have to disagree with you. MiG-21s and F-104s armed with IRMs still paint you in search and acquisition modes from distances as great as 15-20 nm.

Anyone with a combined SF2/SF2E install, who wants to prove this for themselves (and has a flyable MiG-21MF with Adrian's pit), just drop this mission into your SF2 missions folder and let Lexx know what happens:

21MF_vs_104G_(1v2).rar

Edited by Fubar512

One must forgive our brother, for still being at the 06 level :grin: (which, btw, it still works there, too)

works even better in SF2 with the ACTUAL working gun-ranging radars. If one plays on Normal, you'll get the little yellow diamond when within range (Sabres, Frescos, Farmers, and the like)

wrench

kevin stein

Yeah he is slightly behind the power curve...oh who am I kidding, he is the dark ages. Doesn't seem to be a good trade off, sky effects vs AI, avionics, and flight model improvements.

I think that is the epitome of the "graphics vs content/gameplay" debate represented right there.

The thing I'm most excited about with the mission editor is the potential to give more "specialized" aircraft a chance in this game. For example, I was on the fence about Old Diego's Cobra. I'm mean, yeah, it looks great. But how much fun would it be to select the Cobra and then have the game engine create a CAS single mission with a 2 dozen tank formation, 2 SA-8's, and a flight of MiG-21's? Not really applicable for a Cobra.

But now, the possibilities are greatly expanded. The complexity and difficulty of missions can be greatly customized for the player aircraft. A few tanks and ZSU's for a cobra, a few tank columns w/ SA-13's and ZSU's for a flight of A-10's.

My biggest hopes are that

1) people share/upload the missions they create

2) people create missions that work with either stock installs, or "standard" installs (NF4+, SF2V Exp Pack, etc...). Maybe I'm lazy, but I'd hate to have to download 3-4 things and screw up my installs for every mission I want to download.

Of course, I will be creating some of my own as well!!!

That's actually a pretty valid concern. I like the idea of 'standardized' mission creation, so it's not completely haphazard. Otherwise, the amount of 'this doesn't work' posts will explode once a large amount of user created missions start being uploaded.

FC

Know that feeling already ... for that that haven't downloaded it, the rebuilt ASW has a mission pak assosicated with it.

Because my SF2 base install is pretty heavily modded, I had to go back through each one and swap out stock aircraft for the add-ons that it generated. It only takes a few minutes to edit, but that DEFINATELY is a concern.

But, if the uploader has his/her/its head screwed on right, and is concientious about such things, it's worth doing.

OTH, if one WANTS to higlight a specific aircraft, say the Tomcat or Fulcrum, that WILL need to be said in any readme/upload announcments. The exact same would have to be done if a specific terrain is used.

wrench

kevin stein