Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Nine Years Ago Today

September 11, 2001 saw one of the worst attacks by a terrorist group on a civilian population. In the grand scheme of things it does not matter who the terrorists were or what people they targeted. It was a tragedy and a horror. On this day I ask that we remember all those who have died at the hands of terrorists, around the world and throughout history. Let's pray there comes a day when such evil is wiped from the face of this tired old earth.

Lou

Well said Lou. This is in the thoughts of so many today and for many it is every day reminder. I hope no one minds this link as it isn't meant to be an advertising ploy,- I just to show you my passion above all else. And that is carving of wooden fish decoys. Most viewers would not know what this is about, so you could read about how a fish decoy is used by clicking on " me" area toward the upper right area of that page. I've been doing this since retirement 10 years ago and have made about 2,000 now. In another way this is a special day as the world championship fish decoy contest is being held in Monroe, Michigan and Ii have entered 6 fish for the competition in hopes of bringing home the trophy.. Though I am in Minnesota-they would mail it to me if I was honored with that award. Anyhow, the carving is related to this date. Here it is and again, I hope no one minds. I think if you check my profile area, it also shows my personal web page.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200518248490&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:US:1123

Nine years ago I was minding my own business at USMC Headquarters, which is about 1/2 mile uphill from the Pentagon when the plane hit. That plane came in at about 30 feet above my building, clipped a street lamp on the way down and then hit the Pentagon. We heard a "thump" but thougth it was just some of the ever present construction. Then the fire alarm in my building went off and we all went outside, not knowing that anything had happened, just chalking it up to the construction guys hitting the wrong wire in the course of their repairs. When we got outside, there was a huge black cloud over the Pentagon and a large amount of smoke and flames near the helicopter landing pad. We didn't find out for a little while what had actually happened. And that's when everything changed.

And, oh, yes, the 11th is also my birthday.

This day's pictures will never fade in my memory.

I was just about to go to work on the signwriting of a truck tarpaulin, when a friend called me up.

His voice sounded strange, when he told me to switch the telly on, and he said something like:

"The third world war has begun..."

When I saw the live pictures, they were uncommented by anyone. They showed one of the WTC

towers burning. In the background, I heard someone say something like "...it was a plane flying

into the tower..." Other voices could be heard, but they seemed to be people near the video cam

operator. No comment, as we are used to in the news. No explanation.

My employee stood next to me, and I heard him say "Oh Gott, mein Gott!" several times.

I felt totally numb and distant, like I was a camera with no understanding. It was a terrible shock.

And the shock grew much bigger, when I saw a sudden move of the cam, and there was a large

passenger aircraft moving towards the left tower with full speed! Slamming in to it!

My employee had to sit down; he was shivering and asked for a whisky, which I couldn't offer.

But it still got worse. Only minutes later (or so it felt), the right tower's antenna on the roof bent

slightly to the right. Then, the whole of the upper ten stores or so, went down, crashing all the

lower stores, one by one, until the whole tall tower had collapsed, leaving only a huge grey cloud.

Still, no one explained, what we witnessed. We only heard people screaming in terror.

I know, that you have all seen those pictures. But maybe with a comment? Not sure, how many

of you saw it like that - a life picture, uncommented - it made the terrible sight almost unbearable.

I will never forget this.

I was in the operating room of the hospital I used to work back then, and didn't hear about the attack until we were finished with the operation (some routine orthopedic) and went for a lunch break at noon. I didn't eat much though, just watched the events from TV and talked about it with my colleagues. I remember thinking that this is a historic day that will be remembered for years to come - I could witness the end of an hopeful post-Cold War era and the beginning of something sinister with my own eyes. What it would be we didn't know back then, but a lot has indeed happened since 2001.

Terrorism certainly didn't start with that September, and didn't end either, but I think it really woke up the Western world to things that we had read about in the papers and seen in the news, but never thought would happen in our civilized west. As much as I hope things will some day be different, the tendency to act violently and aggressively, to kill and wage war seems to in our genes. We've always been very good at causing death and destruction not only to each other, but to the world and nature as a whole. Maybe it will change some day, but I'm not very optimistic about the latest Dark Age that began already in 1914.

Remember and honor the dead, but do not forget the living.

I heard about 9-11 when I was working on a country house. The site agent came up the scaffold about 2pm looking a bit shocked. His daughter had phoned to say there'd been a plane crash in the USA which involved terrorists. We'd no TV on the job, and nobody understood the terrorist aspect at first, but everybody assumed that two planes being involved must have been a mid-air collision over a city. By the time we got home, the pictures were beginning to arrive, and it all looked completely surreal.

Though horrified, it struck me how 'clever' if that's the right word, the terrorists were to ensure the optimum destruction to people and emergency services, added to the maximum TV coverage of the delayed second impact on WTC. I immediately thought about the delayed action bombs of WW2 designed to do exactly the same thing. It wasn't incidental, but a ruthless part of the plan.

I have to say in the UK and Europe, we were probably more familiar with terrorist attacks, and less shockable than the US, but it was still a terrible thing to watch even by our standards, and it must have been so much worse for those of you in the US.

While I feel bound to concede it was a 'successful' attack from the terrorists point of view, I think they badly misunderstood how the West would react to such an atrocity. In an instant, the whole muslim faith was dehumanised and demonised and it's so called 'soldiers of faith' seen as monsters who deserved to be destroyed. It's easy to attack men women and children at random who don't even know they're under attack. No guts or courage required, nor is there any 'glory' in being the first to carry out such barbarism.

You just knew terrible retribution was going to follow. As the troops and bombers moved into Afghanistan just weeks later, even the more moderate amongst us couldn't avoid the conclusion that "Well, you asked for it. You reap what you sow in life, and oh boy did you evil fu____rs ever sow the seeds for this."

I wouldn't say I was impartial in this by a long stretch, but I do try to see things from the other sides perspective. But with 9-11, I just don't 'get any of it. That's the work of a terrorist mastermind? I don't think so, there's nothing clever about it. It has no 'cause'. It's just the grotesque and barbaric excess of a dangerous and murderous madman. Even if I try to imagine how I might feel if I was even a jihadist myself, - I still don't 'get it'. - No, no, listen to me Osama, you really do NOT want to do this. It is a BAD idea. Yes, yes, Allah is great, Allah is good, but trust me, he really wouldn't want this little escapade in his in-tray. It is a bad, bad, bad idea!!!"

Is that what a Jihad is? -The cowardly murder of innocent people, and the indelible shame these terrorists suffered upon your own religious cause for all eternity? Well I'm sorry Mr Muslim fundamentalist, you'd better keep praying to Allah that the West you hate so much doesn't give up on it's own sense of justice and humanity and seek instead to prosecute it's own 'jihad', unburdened by a sense of human decency and respect for the innocent of your own country. Ourselves in 'the West' may not get it right all the time, and we may be clumbsy in our respect for your culture, but if you force us to be your enemy, we will deliver.

I was flying that morning, flight instructing, polishing up a guy’s landings prior to his first solo. As we preflighted at 0800 (central time, I was in Chicago) I overhead the guys at the plane next to ours talking about how a “737 (sic) accidentally hit the World Trade Center.” That was the first inkling I had of the event. After I finished rolling my eyes I gave my student a lecture about not believing that sort of bunk because on a day as beautiful as Sept 11—and after checking the weather conditions that morning I knew it was beautiful all the way to the Atlantic—there was no earthly way a 737 or any other jetliner could be “accidentally flown” into the WTC. It never even dawned on me that it wasn’t an accident. I just thought it was a tall tale born from moronic news reporting.

So, we’re up flying around, staying in the pattern, oblivious to what was happening. We did not know the national airspace had been shut down and all planes ordered to land. Our plane had a crappy radio and being in Class G airspace under the O'Hare Class A shelf we didn’t need to talk with anyone, although I’d monitor the flight school frequency, so I had no idea about the airspace closing. But back then, who the hell would have thought that was ever going to happen? Meanwhile, O’Hare approach had us on radar still in the air and called the flight school to have us land but the flight school couldn’t raise our plane because of our dodgy radio. O’Hare called back again a short while later and threatened an F-16 interception unless they got us down immediately. That scrambled the flight school jeep that roared off behind us after our next landing, as we were taxiing back to take off again (insurance forbade us to do touch-and-goes so we did full-stop taxi-backs). As we were taking the runway the jeep zoomed right up to us which, of course, got my attention because it was highly unusual. They had a hand-held transmitter which our radio could pick up and quickly I was informed all airspace had been shut down and we were forbidden to take off. Of course, I was incredulously skeptical but I knew the man talking to me and he wouldn’t be out there pulling a stunt like that which, if not true, would cost him his job. So I replied “understand airspace is closed, taxiing to park” and off we taxied to the ramp; my logbook says we shut down at 0910. I talked with a guy at the fuel pumps and in thirty seconds he gave the rundown on what was happening, to which I responded “I don’t think you are lying but I am having a hard time believing all this.” From there I walked toward the FBO and as I approached I could see through the window that everybody inside the building was gathered around the single television and my heart and stomach sank—that exact feeling you get when you first find out somebody you love has died—because I knew it must be true. Once I got inside and could see the TV, within about 60 seconds I saw video replays of the planes hitting, the fires, then both towers coming down. Seeing it all so quickly and out of the blue like that was information overload and I wandered out of there like a zombie, trying to absorb it all, anger rising into rage because I couldn’t shoot back at the sonsabitches and I was too old to enlist for the war I knew was coming. (That rage is still there today, as it has been since my first introduction in 1979—I’m not as PC about the subject as are others so I won’t get started.) Then I climbed a nearby mound of construction dirt that let me see the Sears Tower in the distance and I and a couple other pilots waited for more planes to come in. Thankfully it was all over and that never happened.

In the fifty years Ive been on this planet, Ive learned to take a lot of things in stride and let them go. I like to think of myself as a pacifist.

Its why Ive chosen this screen name and signature. But every time I see film footage of this horrific assault , the tears pour from my eyes, and I try to let it go, but,

MY BLOOD STILL BOILS, and for the life of me I cant repress the need for revenge..

Certainly a day that will live in Infamy.

But lets remember too, the innocent people killed in Madrid, London, Bali..and other places.

Terrorism affect's us all.

We had the IRA blowing the crap out of Innocent people for 60 yrs prior to 9/11...funded (I'm sorry to say) by 'certain' members of the Irish community in the United States.

The Isreali and Palestinian people need to come to some sort of peaceful settlement, as this is the real heart of the problem (IMHO)

Terrorism will never be laid to rest with Tanks....eventually, it is ended by sitting around a table, talking...often making painful concessions (such as releasing the Bombers held in Custody...which is what we had to do in Northern Ireland)

9 years ago to this very day,

Thousands of people lost their way,

Across the world with disbelief,

We watched those people scared with grief,

And so today we remember you all,

We all saw those buildings fall,......All the stars that shine from Heaven,

Are the life and souls from 9/11.

RIP

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

We had the IRA blowing the crap out of Innocent people for 60 yrs prior to 9/11...funded (I'm sorry to say) by 'certain' members of the Irish community in the United States.

UKW,

My mum was in Boston a month after 9/11 with her sisters, and she noticed that all collections for the IRA had been stopped. She asked a Bostonian who said that America had now realised what we in the UK had been living with for years and had stopped supporting the IRA.

In fact I was at work when the planes hit the WTC and my first words after the woman opposite me had repeated what her son hads just told her were "At least now they know what we have been putting up with for years".

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Edited by Rugbyfan1972

"In fact I was at work when the planes hit the WTC and my first words after the woman opposite me had repeated what her son had just told her were "At least now they know what we have been putting up with for years"."

Without wishing to minimise the events of the 9th of September, 2001, this is a lesson for us all. You can lionise or demonise more or less anyone. I think that I prefer to listen, and then talk. Reaching for arms seems to me to be the last, rather than the first, resort.

Peace. And there's a word I don't bandy about.

I was giving my near 1 year old daughter a bath, when the phone rang.. it was my wife... she tells me "Can you turn on the TV, something happened in NYC, something just hit the Twin Towers. Now, keep in mind, I live in Long Island, and am always the skeptic... so right away I am thinking... WTF... how could someone be so stupid... but now and then private pilots screw-up... so I turn on the TV, and there is is, smoking like hell. I began to think to myself (remember, those of you that know me, I am a aircraft mechanic and work for an airline)... WTF.... that aint no Cessna that caused that damage... no sooner am I saying this, the second plane hits the North tower... now all hell breaks loose. My wife is calling like crazy.. every freakin' fire siren 100 miles from my house is wailing... the news is going nuts... my one friend is calling in tears because his fiancee is in Tower 1 and he can't reach her...

It goes on... I go outside to the sound of police sirens and rescue rigs all over the Southern State parkway as I live very close to it...

I was glued to the TV from then on. I found out later that day that several people I know were dead, and or lost friends or loved ones. Those that I know were first responders in the NYFD and PANY/NJ. Basically... it sucked.

OvS

I was being a bum of a 19 year old kid. I was living at home with my parents, I wasn't in school, I wasn't working, and I had spent my summer goofing off with friends, playing a lot of tennis, staying up late, and sleeping in.

9/11 started when my mother woke me up, said something was going on at the World Trade Center and said I needed to see it. So I turned on the television and saw the first tower burning. About five minutes later I saw the second plane hit and I remember all of us gasping. I'd never felt so sick in my life. My phone rang, and it was my high school pal calling to see if I was seeing what he was seeing - perhaps to justify to himself that what we were witnessing was actually real. Me, my mother, and my father all stood around the television for the rest of the day. I still remember standing in their bedroom, watching their television with them, when the first tower collapsed.

Feeling completely helpless, I remember checking in with the old Flight Sim Forum on Delphi. I'd send you a link, but the forum was deleted and the record of that day was lost. I remember all of us checking in. I suddenly realized that while I thought I didn't know anyone affected by the attacks, I actually did. We started worrying when certain members weren't showing up. Then came the various comments: "so and so lives in Manhattan, didn't he say he worked at the WTC?" "My God, doesn't so and so work near the Pentagon?" What was already a horrific morning became even more frightening. I still remember watching Aaron Brown on CNN (one of the last real anchors they had) giving the latest updates when the second tower fell behind him, just over his shoulder in the distance. As he turned around, all he could say was "My Lord.... there are no words..."

The world as I knew it, ended right then and there.

I spent the next two or three days unable to do anything but watch the news footage and read the forums to see if everyone was okay.

I don't know why, but to this day, 9/11 marks the end of my "youth" and my formal introduction to adulthood. It changed my view of the world from a carefree place to a dangerous one. I get tense when I fly, I hear certain songs and remember 2001 vividly, and every year, though I promise myself not to let the day bother me, I wind up remembering anyway. I can't seem to stop it.

I entered college not long after the attacks, and I've never stopped working towards my life's goal ever since. My life is marked by two eras, before and after 9/11. I can't explain it, and I feel a bit weird for saying it when I lost no one I knew in the attacks, but the day still changed me. Being an historian is about keeping memories alive and helping others understand the lessons of the past. I teach because I feel the lessons of the First World War will be lost forever without people like me. I also teach because I realize now, as I get older, that my future students will not have been alive on September 11, 2001, and it's up to people like me to make sure they don't forget the lessons they weren't alive to learn.

I work hard now because I know that your life, and your dreams can be snatched away from you in the blink of an eye - even on a beautiful September morning.

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I also remember this series debuting within a few days of the attacks. I think the first episode debuted a few days before, and the second came a few days after. Regardless, I remember watching the start of the show, hearing the music, and crying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIrmplcf5-I&feature=related

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I moved to the DC area in Aug 2001. Not more than a few weeks later the attacks took place. I did not see the impact at the Pentagon itself, though my neighbor saw the plane dive down and disappear below the tree line from his window. After the impact we moved to a rooftop nearby and saw the mess down at the Pentagon (it's only a few miles away).

Was working at National Airport just a couple of miles from the Pentagon. Was in the office checking my email when I heard a report of the first aircraft hitting. I checked the news and immediately went to the American Airlines conference room not to far away. We were watching the news in awe and as the reports were coming in we watched the second aircraft hit and then knew immediately this wasn't just some remote accident. I went to discuss what was going on with some of my employees around 0930. While briefing them I recieved a call a few minutes later from another of my employees asking me what was going on..... I mentioned New York and he cut me off and said no, the Pentagon had just exploded! I dropped the phone and walked out of the airport and saw the cloud as it mushroomed up in the vicinity of the Pentagon. I ran back inside with a local police officer and was immediately summoned to a meeting at airport operations. The incoming information was confused and all over he place but it was shortly confirmed that at least one aircraft, but possibly more, were unacccounted for and that the last known report was that it was likely heading for DC. Possible strike points were quickly being discussed and the Capital Building, White House, National Airport and Andrews AFB were likely candidates. At about the same time as flights were officailly being grounded it was determined that the airport had to be evacuated. In what seemed like an eternity but was actually less then an hour, the airport was mostly cleared with everyone directed back into the adjoining streets in Crystal City and/or down towards Arlington. While assisting the police in directing departing people I was struck by the situation and looking around noticed the soot falling from the sky and at one point actually watched a small piece if insulation as it floated to the ground. Leaving only key people in place we made our way back to higher ground on a little knoll about 1/4 mile away from the old terminal. Trying to catch radio reports we were more in the dark at first then anything. Eventually a report filtered through that an aircraft had gone down in Pennsylvania but they were still looking for another. While this was going on you could see the smoke from the Pentagon changing in color as the brave fought back the flames and were attempting to rescue all they could. Hours went by with us being unable to re-enter the airport and being unable to leave as traffic had become a parking lot. I was eventually able to borrow a phone and called home but was not able to get there until much later that evening.

There is much I will never forget about that day. The confusion, fear, sorrow, anger. I still pray for the innocents that fell, for the professionals that gave of themselves that day and during the days that followed, and for those that have served overseas giving everything to ensure that we try not to allow anything like this to occur again.

Edited by nbryant

Was working at National Airport just a couple of miles from the Pentagon. Was in the office checking my email when I heard a report of the first aircraft hitting. I checked the news and immediately went to the American Airlines conference room not to far away. We were watching the news in awe and as the reports were coming in we watched the second aircraft hit and then knew immediately this wasn't just some remote accident. I went to discuss what was going on with some of my employees around 0930. While briefing them I recieved a call a few minutes later from another of my employees asking me what was going on..... I mentioned New York and he cut me off and said no, the Pentagon had just exploded! I dropped the phone and walked out of the airport and saw the cloud as it mushroomed up in the vicinity of the Pentagon. I ran back inside with a local police officer and was immediately summoned to a meeting at airport operations. The incoming information was confused and all over he place but it was shortly confirmed that at least one aircraft, but possibly more, were unacccounted for and that the last known report was that it was likely heading for DC. Possible strike points were quickly being discussed and the Capital Building, White House, National Airport and Andrews AFB were likely candidates. At about the same time as flights were officailly being grounded it was determined that the airport had to be evacuated. In what seemed like an eternity but was actually less then an hour, the airport was mostly cleared with everyone directed back into the adjoining streets in Crystal City and/or down towards Arlington. While assisting the police in directing departing people I was struck by the situation and looking around noticed the soot falling from the sky and at one point actually watched a small piece if insulation as it floated to the ground. Leaving only key people in place we made our way back to higher ground on a little knoll about 1/4 mile away from the old terminal. Trying to catch radio reports we were more in the dark at first then anything. Eventually a report filtered through that an aircraft had gone down in Pennsylvania but they were still looking for another. While this was going on you could see the smoke from the Pentagon changing in color as the brave fought back the flames and were attempting to rescue all they could. Hours went by with us being unable to re-enter the airport and being unable to leave as traffic had become a parking lot. I was eventually able to borrow a phone and called home but was not able to get there until much later that evening.

There is much I will never forget about that day. The confusion, fear, sorrow, anger. I still pray for the innocents that fell, for the professionals that gave of themselves that day and during the days that followed, and for those that have served overseas giving everything to ensure that we try not to allow anything like this to occur again.

One of the eerie things I recall about that day was the fact that no airplanes in or out of National were flying over the rest of that day. We usually had planes going over Georgetown all day, every day. But that day it was strangely quiet without them.

Touching reports, OvS, CaptSopwith and nbryant.

Yes, music you heard then, will remain tied to the event. In Germany, they often played Enya's "Only Time".

When I hear that song, I see the falling towers with my inner eyes - always.

CaptSopwith, you mention "Band of Brothers". A friend of mine, who lives here since long, but is from America,

introduced me to this series, and I watched all his DVDs and liked it - it was made very realistic and personal.

I had wondered already, if your avatar is Captain Winters from that series?

I liked this man - I think I would wish to have a commander like him, if I had to fight.

Touching reports, OvS, CaptSopwith and nbryant.

Yes, music you heard then, will remain tied to the event. In Germany, they often played Enya's "Only Time".

When I hear that song, I see the falling towers with my inner eyes - always.

CaptSopwith, you mention "Band of Brothers". A friend of mine, who lives here since long, but is from America,

introduced me to this series, and I watched all his DVDs and liked it - it was made very realistic and personal.

I had wondered already, if your avatar is Captain Winters from that series?

I liked this man - I think I would wish to have a commander like him, if I had to fight.

Without getting too far off track: Band of Brothers is, IMHO, the best war series ever made. And yes, that is Winters, or at least Damian Lewis playing Winters, in my avatar picture. They actually recreated a photo of the real Dick Winters while they were on set shooting the series. That's where the avatar comes from.

And I agree, I would want him in charge. He's an excellent role model.

September 11 was a fateful day also during the Great War. On September 11, 1917 one of the great aces of history, Georges Guynemer, disappeared with his SPAD XIII. Guynemer was a national hero in France, and his motto "Until one has given all, one has given nothing" was popular at the time.

Edited by Hasse Wind

Yes, the physically faint, but in the air so strong pilot - he gave it all. May he rest in peace.

Weirdly too..The pentagon construction was completed 60 yrs earlier...on September 11th!

Something about this date?...who knows

Anybody who regards Islam as a peaceful religion, and who thinks that the bastards behind the 9/11 attacks were "extremists", have obviously never read the Koran, have never been to their parts of the world, and are highly skilled in the arts of self-delusion. There is a vast difference between actual religious intolerance and shooting a rabid dog, although todays moral relativists would try to convince you otherwise. Islam, as it is practiced on its home turf, is a rabid dog and needs to be shot. The only Muslims fit to be part of the civilized world are Westernized apostates, who are no more Muslims than I am Christian.

9/11 was forgotten a couple days after it happened, when the political correctness goons erased the above from public consciousness. And even today, they're promoting building a friggin' MOSQUE around the corner from Ground Zero, and stopping guys from burning Korans in protest.

All I needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/'11. We died, they rejoiced. End of friggin story. Or course, I knew that already, having been fighting them since the 1980s. But surely everybody else in the world should have seen it by then, if not at the Munich Olympics, Locherby, and all the other atrocities committed in the name of Islam.

I"m just glad I killed several hundred of those bastards when I had the chance. I wished I'd killed more of them.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

" There is a vast difference between actual religious intolerance and shooting a rabid dog, although todays moral relativists would try to convince you otherwise. Islam, as it is practiced on its home turf, is a rabid dog and needs to be shot."

Sorry BH, you've jumped over a line here

"9/11 was forgotten a couple days after it happened, when the political correctness goons erased the above from public consciousness. And even today, they're promoting building a friggin' MOSQUE around the corner from Ground Zero"

9/11 was forgotten after a few days. Really? So it' all PC gorn mahd? Really? Muslims can't be Americans? Really?

"All I needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/'11. We died, they rejoiced. End of friggin story. Or course, I knew that already, having been fighting them since the 1980s. But surely everybody else in the world should have seen it by then, if not at the Munich Olympics, Locherby, and all the other atrocities committed in the name of Islam.

I"m just glad I killed several hundred of those bastards when I had the chance. I wished I'd killed more of them."

BH, I've read and enjoyed much of what you've written here on the CA forums, and I know that you're not thick, but I'm having a problem justifying your condemnation of a billion people here. I will not dive in at the deep end of all this, but I would suggest that you are simply wrong. I know and work with muslims, and they are just like everyone else: normal people who worry about making ends meet, getting their kids through school and all the other things that afflict us all. Why on earth would you want to demonise a mass of people in such a manner? I cannot believe that is what you really mean.

Demonise and revile people who commit acts of terrorism - I will stand by your side and do the same; do not condemn people because of their association through faith. Bear in mind I am an atheist.

Right, that's enough piety. Was anyone taking about WWI recently?

" There is a vast difference between actual religious intolerance and shooting a rabid dog, although todays moral relativists would try to convince you otherwise. Islam, as it is practiced on its home turf, is a rabid dog and needs to be shot."

Sorry BH, you've jumped over a line here

"9/11 was forgotten a couple days after it happened, when the political correctness goons erased the above from public consciousness. And even today, they're promoting building a friggin' MOSQUE around the corner from Ground Zero"

9/11 was forgotten after a few days. Really? So it' all PC gorn mahd? Really? Muslims can't be Americans? Really?

"All I needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/'11. We died, they rejoiced. End of friggin story. Or course, I knew that already, having been fighting them since the 1980s. But surely everybody else in the world should have seen it by then, if not at the Munich Olympics, Locherby, and all the other atrocities committed in the name of Islam.

I"m just glad I killed several hundred of those bastards when I had the chance. I wished I'd killed more of them."

BH, I've read and enjoyed much of what you've written here on the CA forums, and I know that you're not thick, but I'm having a problem justifying your condemnation of a billion people here. I will not dive in at the deep end of all this, but I would suggest that you are simply wrong. I know and work with muslims, and they are just like everyone else: normal people who worry about making ends meet, getting their kids through school and all the other things that afflict us all. Why on earth would you want to demonise a mass of people in such a manner? I cannot believe that is what you really mean.

Demonise and revile people who commit acts of terrorism - I will stand by your side and do the same; do not condemn people because of their association through faith. Bear in mind I am an atheist.

Right, that's enough piety. Was anyone taking about WWI recently?

Agree

You cannot justify demonising an entire race/culture

If you do, you are no better than Adolf Hitler..or the Bombers of 9/11