Sign in to follow this  
Swordsman422

Air defenses go poof?

Okay, weird thing. Lately when flying in SFP1, I've noticed that there are few if any air defense systems even with the air defense settings at heavy. There might be a few guns here and there, but there are NO sams to speak of at all. And there are occassions when I'll fly a SEAD mission, get to the target area, to find no air defenses present. This primarily occurs over the stock terrain.

I have checked the service dates of the various SAM and AAA units to make sure I'm not flying out of date. I've made sure that the Target_types and Targets .inis allow for these units and have them placed. I have made sure that the SAM_LAUNCHERs are called to in the types file and that the units I would like to show up are thusly labled. But unless an object is specifically named in the target types file, especially a SAM launcher, it will not show up on the terrain and will not be targetable unless it is a primary target.

This happened suddenly without me altering any files or installing any MODs. I REALLY would like to not have to reinstall, patch up, then toss my MODs back in one at a time to see who is the problem child, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd really love the help.

What year are you flying in?

Modern period. Mainly the late 80s onward. I have SAM systems that see service until 2040. I was so certain that this was the problem, that I modified the basic SA-2s even to serve that late. The object files and so on are all intact, too. My old computer had a bad habit of just eating data out of the objects folders, but this new one doesn't. I haven't tested it in the 60s and 70s yet and won't until this evening, but I think it will persist into the earlier time periods.

Semi-resolved this problem. I realized that I'm used to flying user-made terrains where there are large numbers of air defense batteries. The basic SFP1 Desert terrain was never widely populated. I altered some of the operational dates of the air defense weapons and then just added several new SAM sites and AAA pieces in the various terrain areas. Aircraft flying on the wrong side of the boarder are now liable to get a facefull off unhappiness in the way of flak and SAMs.