Sign in to follow this  
bigbirdk

TK - I will pay you $$ for a game video recorder!

The action in SF2E is just great and I would love to watch it in replay (with the ability to change view perspectives). I would gladly pay! Any chance?

how about just using the "save mission" function? It was added with Expasion Pak 1 for the Suez war for SF2:I. If you don't alrady have it, it's definately DEFINATLEY worth the 20 buck investment

wrench

kevin stein

Replay feature would be great to have.

But it's mostly likely very low priority on TK's list.

Edited by pureblue

how about just using the "save mission" function? It was added with Expasion Pak 1 for the Suez war for SF2:I. If you don't alrady have it, it's definately DEFINATLEY worth the 20 buck investment

wrench

kevin stein

Hey Wrench. I will be buying that,regardless, but to be clear - will this give me the ability to watch my completed missions in replay with the ability to change the views to interior, exterior, fly by etc...? I really like to watch the replays in IL2 and SF seems like it will make for some great replay videos!

TK explained a long time ago why replay wasn't practical with his game engine. It involves deterministic versus non-deterministic programming. In a conventional deterministic program, if you start in the exact same point and feed exactly the same inputs to the program, you get exactly the same results. TK's engine is non-deterministic, every time you play you get different results even if you give it the same exact control inputs. So, for a replay program to work, it would have to record everything that is happening in the game down to the individual bullets being fired by M61 gatling guns at a very fast time interval.

Now, I know it can be done because Aces High 2 appears to track everything even when you are flying in an arena with 400 other people plus AI flak and ships, but TK has stated he cannot do it. So, I don't think it is even on his list at all. The closest you can come to replay is to run fraps to record the video you are seeing. Obviously, this doesn't allow you to jump around and analyze what happened, but it is all you have.

do you remember old DID F-22 or its successor ATF F-22?

it had mission recorder/analyzer too, easy and nice.

but I know that there is many things with higher priority.

My 1st wish is ability to make formation with different types

(aircraft carriers with other ships, trains, convoys etc) :-)

Monty CZ

my only wish is lockable objects in groundradar. right now the groundradar is useless.

ight now the groundradar is useless.

I disagree, its also awesome for Armed Recon missions when you can see the line of trucks. On CAS missions, you can find the tanks from a greater distanct and adjust your flight profile accordingly. I would like a later radar that can lock up though. That has been on my wish list for ahwile.

How much $$ would you pay? just two figures probably.

TK explained a long time ago why replay wasn't practical with his game engine. It involves deterministic versus non-deterministic programming. In a conventional deterministic program, if you start in the exact same point and feed exactly the same inputs to the program, you get exactly the same results. TK's engine is non-deterministic, every time you play you get different results even if you give it the same exact control inputs. So, for a replay program to work, it would have to record everything that is happening in the game down to the individual bullets being fired by M61 gatling guns at a very fast time interval.

Normally a program with the same input will give the same predictable output. unless you use certain random number generators. but you can use predictable number generators based on a seed value. So with that settled I would not know what would keep TK's program from repeating a game. It would take effort of course, and I would not care much either.

my only wish is lockable objects in groundradar. right now the groundradar is useless.

Also good for finding ships

Any idea what year a radar came into service that could lock onto ground targets?

1940/41? AI MKII, iirc, or was that the ASV?? Have to look in my books somewhere.

Don't forget, up until the the 40s, they all used 2 scopes (altitude on one, azmiuth on the other)

And there's a difference in 'seeing' the ground target, as opposed to 'locking' it up. For a "locking" type, possibly as late the mid-60?? (DIANE type, maybe?)

wrench

kevin stein

Some games with replay abilities, like LOMAC/FC/DCS and Il-2, are basically useless thanks to patching. Anything portrayed in the playback that has been altered thanks to a patch/update, such as FM, damage modeling, AI performance, etc renders the previous one broken in some way. They use the deterministic way of recording missions to keep file size down, but that makes the patching process ruin it. It's such a big factor that the 1.0 release of Black Shark had training missions you could watch and then take over and fly yourself that were ruined by 1.01 and then 1.02, so they were removed! Now you have to go to their site/YouTube and just watch videos of the missions.

Yeah but having a recorder in game would help people like me capture action screenshots instead of doing boring beauty shots. Yeah I know, use the pause button, but I can't get it in time since I can use one arm. And it will be great if TK uses the IL2 recorder type to re record with new views to make movies.

And besides didn't TK put a recorder in that 1800's sim?

Falcon

Please tell us which TW model had a "lockable groundradar" in real life. Can you even name one?

Edited by Fubar512

Please tell us which TW model had a "lockable groundradar" in real life. Can you even name one?

Did I say that a TW model had a lockable groundradar? The F16 has a lockable ground radar in real life that is what you mean.

Edited by Fubar512
inappropriate comment

Did I say that a TW model had a lockable groundradar? The F16 has a lockable ground radar in real life that is what you mean.

Really, and which model F-16?

Really, and which model F-16?

In the book Vipers in the Storm by Keith Rozenkranz a.k.a Rosey he describes how he locks up targets on the groundradar for easier tracking when engaging them. I cant remeber what block F-16 it was though. He is describing his missions that he flew during operation desert storm. What model F-16 did those guys fly?

And why was my comment inapropriate?

Edited by xclusiv8

In the book Vipers in the Storm by Keith Rozenkranz a.k.a Rosey he describes how he locks up targets on the groundradar for easier tracking when engaging them. I cant remeber what block F-16 it was though. He is describing his missions that he flew during operation desert storm. What model F-16 did those guys fly?

And why was my comment inapropriate?

Late A blocks & C - models had that capability, not the early Block A-models that are part of the present TW planeset. And if you have to ask, you either have an issue with the translation, or you have a lack of decorum. I prefer to think that it's the former.

F-16C Block 40 - he states all Hill squadrons had completed their transition to the type by early 1990.

That was carrying the APG-68V(5) radar - http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article7.html - and he does use a CCRP mode for some of the missions.

The only in game TW F-16 is the F-16A Block 5/10 delivered to Israel in 1980/81 with the APG-66 - which Im not sure had such capability.

I don't think TK did, or ever planned to, patch that Wright Bros sim. That meant he could indeed do a simple "control input" recorder. I don't think there were any other planes in the air with you, either, it was just free flight in a non-hostile environment.

As for pause, have you tried mapping a stick button to that command? I doubt that the sim itself would let you, but the stick software might.

I don't think TK did, or ever planned to, patch that Wright Bros sim. That meant he could indeed do a simple "control input" recorder. I don't think there were any other planes in the air with you, either, it was just free flight in a non-hostile environment.

As for pause, have you tried mapping a stick button to that command? I doubt that the sim itself would let you, but the stick software might.

Thought of doing that but my SF profile is full. No room for non combat command.

Falcon