Sign in to follow this  
SirMike1983

Map in Scramble?

Has anyone else noticed that if you try to bring up your in-flight area map (M) in a scramble mission the whole game just crashes to desktop? I'll not be doing it again-- this is the second time in 2 tries it has happened. I've lost 4 kill claims to it.

Only happens sometimes to some people, maybe reduce the terrain slider 1 notch - usually video memory crunch.

It's a known thing, SirMike - but honestly: do you find time to look at a flight map in a scramble??? :blink:

It's a known thing, SirMike - but honestly: do you find time to look at a flight map in a scramble??? :blink:

Usually after all the enemy attackers have been downed I visit the waypoints to "complete the objectives" as the CFS3 engine sets them out. I am often curious as to what kind of waypoints are set forth in a scramble by the game. That's when I check the map and it dumps me.

Usually after all the enemy attackers have been downed I visit the waypoints to "complete the objectives" as the CFS3 engine sets them out. I am often curious as to what kind of waypoints are set forth in a scramble by the game. That's when I check the map and it dumps me.

Can you tell me your PC setup please - as Pol said its when the GPU runs out of mem sometimes.

Has it always done this? - you are a long term user and the product has been out for a long time now - but I assume for you it started recently?

WM

I think Olham is right, don't use the map it's pretty pointless in a scramble anyway. SirMike please turn down your terrain slider and try it again.

SirMike, to cure your curiosity: the waypoints in "scrambles" are just the triangles we fly for "circling" the field.

So they really are unnecessary and don't guide you to any advantage - you won't miss anything.

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 ghz

8gb ram

Windows VIsta 64 SP 2

Nvidia GeForce 9500 GS card

2558mb total graphics mem

512mb dedicated video mem

Terrain slider on "2", I get about 40-50 fps with my settings.

It didn't do it on my old computer, and I don't recall it doing it when I was playing regularly when HITR first came out. I took a hiatus for a few months and came back to the game recently, and I've been getting it.

I won't use the map in scramble from now on-- I assumed that visiting the waypoints and generating a "complete" caused the game to give me better odds on my kill claims. So I tried to follow the waypoints around on the map to try and better my odds on confirmations of claims that way. If that's not part of bettering my odds, I won't even bother.

Edited by SirMike1983

SirMike, the "terrain detail" slider is on "3" on my system; the one that needs CPU power is "scenery detail" - that I have only on "2".

Clouds "don't eat much". Neither does the effects quality. (My settings are 5, 3, 2, 5, 5 - I am running a 2,83 HHz CPU).

Edited by Olham